• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry at Renaissance ?

*1911_man*

imported post

Im new to oc, and this site, and i am planning on going to the renaissance fair this weekend, not sure about their policy on OC. Anyone know anything?

protector84

imported post

I've already been this year. They have a "No Firearms" sign. The Renaissance Festival serves alcohol for on-premises consumption so OCing is not allowed by law. I did see plenty of people carrying swords and daggers some of which were real. The liquor law does not restrict OCing of non-firearm weapons in liquor establishments. You may consider CCing but you cannot legally drink if you are armed in the festival.

*1911_man*

imported post

yeah i kinda figured that would be the case, i havent gone in 5 or 6 years and couldnt remember if they allowed it or not, good thing i know now though

Pace

imported post

But you can carry a plastic sword!

*1911_man* wrote:
yeah i kinda figured that would be the case, i havent gone in 5 or 6 years and couldnt remember if they allowed it or not, good thing i know now though

Dahwg

imported post

protector84 wrote:
I've already been this year. They have a "No Firearms" sign...You may consider CCing but you cannot legally drink if you are armed in the festival.

You said it's posted, so then he cannot even legally carry.

Neverwinter

imported post

Dahwg wrote:
protector84 wrote:
I've already been this year. They have a "No Firearms" sign...You may consider CCing but you cannot legally drink if you are armed in the festival.

Doesn't it have to be posted near the liquor license to count?

Dahwg

imported post

Neverwinter wrote:
Dahwg wrote:
protector84 wrote:

Anyone want to be the test case to see if it's enforced that way?

Pace

imported post

No Firearms can be on any property to prevent entry, with or without alcohol, so this does not apply.

The license is not an establishment license, so I'm not sure the law would apply. Well, it might be. There are two types of permit - special event permit, and extension of premise permits. The later might make it an "establishment." However, since its a booth, that would only apply to the booth, not the outside, the event.

This space is governed as a public event. If they have no firearm signs, they must have lockers for your firearm.

Dahwg wrote:
Neverwinter wrote:
Dahwg wrote:
protector84 wrote:

Anyone want to be the test case to see if it's enforced that way?

Chez

imported post

Pace wrote

This space is governed as a public event. If they have no firearm signs, they must have lockers for your firearm.

I don't think that is correct. In my CCW class, we we tought that only a state or local government locations would have to provide lockers. Not a place that was privately owned, but opened to the public.

Pace

imported post

#1 Rule. CCW Instructors seem to know nothing about the law for some reason. Public events are usually well defined, but I don't know the law in Arizona specifically. For example, in some areas its any place that allows the General Public in through admission or another method (stadium, fair, etc)

"No person shall, unless specifically authorized by law, enter a public establishment or attend a public event carrying a firearm after a reasonable request by the operator of the establishment or the sponsor of the event to remove his firearm and place it in the custody of the operator or sponsor. This does not apply to shooting ranges or shooting events, hunting areas or similar locations or activities."

Chez wrote:
Pace wrote

I don't think that is correct. In my CCW class, we we tought that only a state or local government locations would have to provide lockers. Not a place that was privately owned, but opened to the public.