• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT: Long range rifle

Brandnew

imported post

For the most part I've only trained in and practiced handgun. This weekend I picked up a .22 CZ 452 and I LOVE IT! I was amazed that I could use iron sights to shoot a decent group at 100 yards. Now I'm super interested in learning about rifle at longer distances and what it's all about.

So my questions: Are there any 200-800 yard rifle ranges in northern WA? What's the best way to learn more about shooting longer distances? Any matches I can watch locally?

Thanks guys.

DaemonForce

imported post

Ughh....I have a similar problem. Thank God I have some old ammo sitting around in my rounds box. Mainly Federal and Western. I need to find a range around here where I can unload some rounds from my 190.

The Fort Borst Park range demands way too much. I don't know of any ranges around here that don't cost a day's pay just to unload some rounds. This is probably why we don't have a rifle team in Lewis. :X

Ninja Edit: Add WA to Tukwila? If anything Tukwila needs to be removed from WA. Everytime I'm there the people act like another sovereign nation in my back yard. :shock:

Trigger Dr

imported post

Brandnew wrote:
For the most part I've only trained in and practiced handgun. This weekend I picked up a .22 CZ 452 and I LOVE IT! I was amazed that I could use iron sights to shoot a decent group at 100 yards. Now I'm super interested in learning about rifle at longer distances and what it's all about.

So my questions: Are there any 200-800 yard rifle ranges in northern WA? What's the best way to learn more about shooting longer distances? Any matches I can watch locally?

Thanks guys.

The CZ 452 is a really good high quality rifle. I shoot competetively with.22 and black Powder cartridge rifles. The .22 matches are 200 yards and the black powder cartridge matches are 500 meters.

your .22 is competitive with my anschutz as far as accuracy, depending upon the sights. We have guys shooting 1 1/2" groups at 200 yds with the CZ 452.

The black powder (BPCR) matches are shot with iron sights out to 1000 yards at some locations ie, Missoula Mt, Bend Or,, Butte Mt. And if you go to Lusk Wy, you can shoot in Kenny Wasserburgers 1 mile match. that is right 1 mile with iron sights.

list your location in your profile so someone near you can make personal contact.

Brandnew

imported post

Thanks for the reply trigger dr, and location added (Seattle).

I'm amazed to hear that it's possible to use iron sights to shoot those distances. I've got to see this myself sometime!

I have been to Renton fish and game but didn't realize they have a 200yd rifle range. Maybe I will head back and give it a try.

Bobarino

imported post

range 15 at Ft Lewis is 300 yards. http://www.fortlewismwr.com/shooting range info 05142 1204.pdf

there's one in Eatonville that is 550 yards. http://www.uppernisquallysportsmanclub.com/

i shoot at Range 15 every now and then. it's a good range. my only complaint is the short times for a hot range. if you're focusing on precision, sometimes you can only get in 10 shots before they call a cold range.

it's fun to put some clay pigeons at 300 yards and plink 'em with my long range rifle. i haven't tried the one on Eatonville yet.

Bobby

Bear 45/70

antispam540

imported post

Trigger Dr wrote:
We have guys shooting 1 1/2" groups at 200 yds with the CZ 452.

if you go to Lusk Wy, you can shoot in Kenny Wasserburgers 1 mile match. that is right 1 mile with iron sights.
I suck :(

and how can you even SEE a 55-gallon drum at 1 mile with iron sights?

amzbrady

imported post

antispam540 wrote:
Trigger Dr wrote:
We have guys shooting 1 1/2" groups at 200 yds with the CZ 452.

if you go to Lusk Wy, you can shoot in Kenny Wasserburgers 1 mile match. that is right 1 mile with iron sights.
I suck :(

and how can you even SEE a 55-gallon drum at 1 mile with iron sights?
thats cause your not using the Heller Kitty Rifle...

oldkim

imported post

That is funny but back on topic.

If you want to look at shooting your .22 try Tacoma Sportman's Club off Canyon Road. I believe they have .22 Silloutte shoots with ranges of 50 - 100 yards.

Long distance is relative....

1 mile with iron sights - hmm not likely. Have you seen snipers try to hit targets at 600 - 1000 yards? It's tough enough. Your talking about 1760 yards for 1 mile with open iron sights???? I would say you can't even see your target at those distances.

Just a bit over the top. Well.... I guess if the range is 1 mile that's one thing... hitting anything you are aiming at at 1 mile is another.

From their website on the size of their targets at 900-1000 yards.
http://www.yauponcreek.org/
[/align]

Trigger Dr

imported post

This is a link to the Wasserberger mile match. You can go to Shilohrifle.com click on forums, Shooter toShooterand search for the Wasserberger match. with a little effort you will find pictures and scores.

Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:10 am Post subject: Wasserburger Mile Match May, 2010

[line]

Here is the flyer for the 2010 creedmoor and mile[/b] matches.

http://www.wyomingbpcr.net/BPCRShootFlyers/2010wasserburgermatch.pdf

DaemonForce

imported post

I'm looking at the site for Evergreen Sportsmen's Club and from the way they do business it looks incredible. Does anybody go up there to unload a box every now and then? I might go up there soon. :)

oldkim

imported post

I can't find any reviews of the Evergreen Sportsmen's Club.

What are they doing that has caught your attention? In staying with the OP - Long Range rifle? They only have a 100 yard rifle range.

http://shootesc.com/

Looks like you can certainly hook up your RV there. Lots to do with shotgun fields.

DaemonForce

imported post

oldkim wrote:
I can't find any reviews of the Evergreen Sportsmen's Club.
Neither can I. It must be overlooked a whole lot.

oldkim wrote:
What are they doing that has caught your attention?
Existing.

Really that's it. They're the only range I've read about where they have well maintained ranges, they don't limit therifle type and they don't charge half a day's pay or more to be a member. Non-members don't get financially raped either.It looks to me like Thurston knows how to do business. At least I'm convinced. :)

Read: http://shootesc.com/facilities.html

That's awesome. They're safety minded, 100yd ranges(good starting point), chronograph, spotting scope, sold! Oh and Feb-Mar they have a .22 silhouette match on some Saturday mornings. Members pay $5 while non-members pay $10. That sounds a lot more competitive than the rifle club next door. I'll pay the extra $5 and fuel to go up there and shoot because there's no annoying prerequisites for me to use the range. :)

Bear 45/70

imported post

Evergreen is mostly aimed at clay bird shooters. I've shot trap, skeet, and sporting claysat Evergreen. They do havepistol, rifle and black powder ranges but they are not their primary business. The do have camping and RV spaces though. I will be there tomorrow for a course so that the wife and I can get ourOregon Concealed Pistol License.

Trigger Dr

imported post

Hey Bear 45-70, the forum has been a bit quite lately..what say we start our old pissing match again just to liven things up a bit?:celebrate Glad you are posting again. you have been missed.