• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Help with gun laws please?

Sam

imported post

I am currently reading through pages and pages of statutes and pdf's. I have found the answers to many question but a few still elude me.

1. State Parks, can I carry there? In reading N.C. Gen. Stat. § 14-269.4 I am still not sure. I was planning on visiting Crowder's Mountain today.

2. Where can I find laws on loaning firearms? Is there any? My concern is I have a firearm I leave at home for my girlfriend to use should she ever need to. Is she allowed to use it? Can she OC it? Can she take it to a gun range and shoot it without me?

We live in Gaston County and I purchased the firearms. We are not married.

Thanks!

airwolf09

imported post

I'm not sure what the others feel about loaning the firearm to another person other than your wife. But me, there is no way I'm gonna loan my firearm to anyone other than my wife to protect her and my kid regardless how much I trusted that person. However, I'm willing to spend the money for the person to buy a firearm under their name. That way it takes the legal out of the way in case something arise.
If the person go to range shoot often then why not get a gun for themselves under their name?

that is my 2 cents...:D

chiefjason

imported post

1. No, still can't carry period in state parks.

http://www.ncparks.gov/Visit/faq/main.php

2. If she can legally possess a firearm, she can carry yours. I won't get into the would I should I argument. You and her are the ones to figure that out. There is no registration in NC. If you buy a pistol FTF no one knows you have it. Pretty much the same thing. If she is legal to carry it she would be liable for her own actions. IANAL, but that's how I see it. BTW, you really won't find a law that clearly states this. But there is no law that says the owner of the firearm is the only one allowed to possess it either.

Sam

imported post

Thanks for the advice.

My girlfriend is my wife. =) We have been together for over four years. Her youngest call me Daddy and she moved away with me to NC. The only thing that is missing is a ring and a silly piece of paper. She didn't get her NC DL yet so I purchased the pistols without thinking about if she could legally use it.

airwolf09

imported post

Sam wrote:
Thanks for the advice.

My girlfriend is my wife. =) We have been together for over four years. Her youngest call me Daddy and she moved away with me to NC. The only thing that is missing is a ring and a silly piece of paper. She didn't get her NC DL yet so I purchased the pistols without thinking about if she could legally use it.
Man, over 4 years and you haven't get that ring on her finger then at least get her that silly piece of paper will you :lol:. if I was her, I would kick you to the curve. :p I am not totally sure about NC law here as I moved down here not too long ago so I cannot give you any advice on NC law.

ocgso

imported post

Sam wrote:
I am currently reading through pages and pages of statutes and pdf's. I have found the answers to many question but a few still elude me.

1. State Parks, can I carry there? In reading N.C. Gen. Stat. § 14-269.4 I am still not sure. I was planning on visiting Crowder's Mountain today.

2. Where can I find laws on loaning firearms? Is there any? My concern is I have a firearm I leave at home for my girlfriend to use should she ever need to. Is she allowed to use it? Can she OC it? Can she take it to a gun range and shoot it without me?

We live in Gaston County and I purchased the firearms. We are not married.

Thanks!

Your questions have already been addressed by others, so I will say simply this.

If there is no law against something, then it is therefore by definition legal.

I have a few friends I would (and have) loaned guns to. Most of them own gun(s) already and I trust them. One example, a friend is by the house and had to make a trip to the local university (can't carry). But he then finds out he needs to take a trip down to fayetteville (unplanned). He carried one of mine instead of having to go all the way back home.

No law against it, more of a moral dilemma/personal beliefs question.

CarryOpen

imported post

Well, I give you credit for not having to have the ring. Good for you two.

Sam

imported post

I want to get her a ring, and a wedding. Just can't afford to do it like I know she'd want it. She says she doesn't need much, but I know she would at least want her Sister flown down here. Then the dress and flowers. Our four wonderful children will need dresses and one suit. Plus, I need an open bar! LOL!

I was also looking for laws defining open carry. What if my jacket covers the grip? Is that ok? Can I wear 6 o'clock?

Thanks for all the help! and the kind words.. ^_^

CarryOpen

imported post

I would not want my jacket covering any part of the weapon, it could easily be construed as attempting to conceal it. More trouble than it's worth.

Anthony_I_Am

imported post

"Under North Carolina law, it is unlawful for any person, firm, or corporation to sell, give away, transfer, purchase, or receive, at any place in the state, any pistol, unless the purchaser or receiver has first obtained a license or permit to receive such a pistol by the sheriff of the county where the purchaser or receiver resides, or the purchaser or receiver possesses a valid North Carolina-issued concealed carry permit."

In my opinion, loaning a firearm is not a transer of ownership. It would seem to me to be no differentthan renting a pistol at a shooting range. But IANAL.

I agree with OpenCarry. I wouldn't want any part of it covered. To you it might be an "open carried pistol with the butt covered" but to a cop it might be a "concealed handgun with the holster sticking out" if you know what I mean. It might not be concealed but that would pretty much depend on a jury if you got jacked by an over-zealous cop. When I wore a suit and wanted to OC, I simply took my sportcoat to a taylor and had him split the seam on the right side so the pistol would stick out and be accesible/visible with the coat on. Doesn't hurt the coat if done properly and it isn't noticeable if you wear the coat without your piece.

chiefjason

imported post

Sam wrote:
I want to get her a ring, and a wedding.  Just can't afford to do it like I know she'd want it.  She says she doesn't need much, but I know she would at least want her Sister flown down here.  Then the dress and flowers.  Our four wonderful children will need dresses and one suit.  Plus, I need an open bar!  LOL!

I was also looking for laws defining open carry.  What if my jacket covers the grip?  Is that ok?  Can I wear 6 o'clock?

Thanks for all the help!  and the kind words..  ^_^

Sam, my wedding cost me rings + $25, IIRC. $15 for the license and $10 for the I do's. Funny story, they would not take a check at the courthouse so our witnesses paid the $10 for our wedding! :lol: Been married 13 years in March, 2 kids, wouldn't change a thing. The ceremony is highly overrated and by no means the most important part.

I'll second not covering the grip. I also would not carry IWB holsters without a CCP. And 6 oclock would make it hard to maintain control of it if someone tried something crazy. I prefer 3:00 in a Serpa CQB holster.

ocgso

imported post

For the best control in a crowded situation, I prefer a cross draw. This put the weapon away from anyone on either side of you.

Not practical for some weapons or some people, but it is a good way to keep arms a little further from the firearm if you are OC'ing in a crowded place.

I also agree with the Serpa, great holsters.

PT111

imported post

This isn't the image I was looking for but it will have to do. Go ahead and get married, when we were at the beach last Summer there was a couple getting married right on the beach.Alady that teached with my wife got married at the school's teacher'sChristmas party. We were at the party and my wife asked meif my Notary was still active because they needed someone toperform the ceremony.I did it as a wedding gift to them. Their cost for the ceremony was zero since the reception was already paid for.;)Considering you have children involved and all the other things you really need to consider it.

fail2.jpg

Sam

imported post

I will probably be getting married pretty soon, but I need another carry pistol first! LOL!

I asked about covering the butt because right now I have only one pistol (that isn't my gf's pink framed gun). It's my HD gun and I put Glo-grips on it. Helps you find it in the dark, not that I don't know where it is but a little help is always welcome. If I OC it at night, when I come out of a store it's like a glowing hip beacon. Makes it look like a toy and may give the OC issue some negative light. Pun intended. :D

Thinking about succumbing to the Glock family. Have not felt their Sub-.45 yet. Also want to hold the H&K .45 and the Sig Sauer .45 compacts. See how they feel. Any advice on this issue? I want something I can keep chambered and not worry about a constantly compressed spring. SA/DA? DAO?