• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What can a town require to process a permit application?

uskrusader

imported post

1. Must the application (DPS-799) be NOTARIZED? As Waterford requires?

2. Can the town require a facial photograph?

The Waterford application (insert)also says:

"It takes approximately 8 weeks for the results of your application* to be determined. You will be notified by the Waterford Police Department of the results.

*Please note that an 8-week response time is a general guideline only."

3. Doesn't state law require towns to answer within 8 weeks?

MHemmann

imported post

In Newington i had to get it notarized as well, not the photo though.I also needed my occupation and employer. they called my boss to make sure i don't just want to get my permit to buy a gun and shoot up the place.

print out the statue that states the 8 week max when you drop off the application, also make sure you request a call from DPS when your back round check comes back to the PD, because from that date they have 1 week to respond. that should be in the same statue. look for one of Ed's postings, it should have it. good luck

gluegun

imported post

uskrusader wrote:
1. Must the application (DPS-799) be NOTARIZED? As Waterford requires?

2. Can the town require a facial photograph?

The Waterford application (insert) also says:

"It takes approximately 8 weeks for the results of your application* to be determined. You will be notified by the Waterford Police Department of the results.

*Please note that an 8-week response time is a general guideline only."

3. Doesn't state law require towns to answer within 8 weeks?
The application specifically says it need to be notarized. This was the entire point of the 1968 Attorney General opinion. After the opinion determined towns could NOT ask for the application to be notarized since the application didn't call for it, the application was changed.

Read the last page: http://www.ct.gov/dps/lib/dps/special_licensing_and_firearms/dps-799-c.pdf

Waterford may not ask for a facial photo. The application specifically says your photo will be taken at DPS.

Waterford is probably relying on a Superior court decision that said the 8 week deadline is a an administrative guideline. As far as I know, Superior court decisions are not precedent.

Important time periods to remember
  • Must be immediately given an application for a permit to carry upon requesting an application in person - CGS §29-28a
  • The local issuing authority must supply an application within 1 week (7 days) after requesting an application in any other manner - CGS §29-28a
  • No later than 5 days after positively identifying your and your finger prints (and date taken) received the local issuing authority must submit your information to the State Bureau of Identification to conduct a background check - CGS §29-29(b)
  • No later than 1 week (7 days) after receiving results of national background check, the local issuing authority must notify you of it's decision - CGS §29-29(c)
  • No later than 8 weeks (56 days) after submitting a sufficient application you must be informed as to whether you were approved or denied an application, unless, - CGS §29-28a(b) they haven't received the result of the national criminal history check, in which case, they must notify you in writing within 8 weeks (56 days) of submitting a sufficient application

If they violate any of those time frames, you can appeal to the Board of Firearms Permit Examiners.

gluegun

imported post

uskrusader wrote:
Waterford also wants on paper:

Your occupation, and the name and address of your employer.

Do they have they right to ask this? 

Yes, it's on the application. They can't ask for it separately. If they want the information for their own purposes, they can look at the application.

uskrusader

imported post

gluegun wrote:
uskrusader wrote:
Waterford also wants on paper:

Your occupation, and the name and address of your employer.

Do they have they right to ask this?
Yes, it's on the application. They can't ask for it separately. If they want the information for their own purposes, they can look at the application.

Yep, they ask for it on a separate piece of paper.

So this is not required.