Thread: OC at Smokey Bones

Post imported post

Can anyone help out with OC at Smokey Bones in Newport News? Any problems?

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Do it and then report your experience? I've oc'ed at Smokey Bones but not in NN.

Post imported post

cruzn82 wrote:
    Can anyone help out with OC at Smokey Bones in Newport News? AnyÂ* problems?
    I personally haven't but have seen a couple different posts of other people having no problems.

You can use search to find stuff like this.

welcome to the forum. You might want to update your profile so people know where you are from.

Post imported post

OC'd there several times wth no problems.
    Bitka Sve Rešava!
    B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

Post imported post

Had no issues at the Dale City location. The service was excellent, don't know if OC had a part in that!

Post imported post

zoom6zoom wrote:
    Had no issues at the Dale City location. The service was excellent, don't know if OC had a part in that!
    No issues either at the DC location. We also had to talk to a manager that night to complain about our server and there was no way he missed seeing my pistol. Other than asking if we'd had any alcohol, the pistol wasn't brought up.

Post imported post

nvmd

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

eyesopened wrote:
    zoom6zoom wrote:
    No issues either at the DC location. We also had to talk to a manager that night to complain about our server and there was no way he missed seeing my pistol. Other than asking if we'd had any alcohol, the pistol wasn't brought up.
    Why would he ask that?

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

Smokey Bones used to be in the Darden family of restaurants, so you might have had trouble in the past, but I believe they were sold to someone else.

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
    eyesopened wrote:
    zoom6zoom wrote:
    Why would he ask that?

Yata hey
    Well he comped our dinner because of the awful service we'd received. He also got complaints from the other tables around us. I can only assume that he wasn't going to comp any alcoholic beverages. I don't drink while carrying and none of us were drinking that night so our entire dinner was free.

We were sitting at a booth and I was at the end with my strong side facing out. When he spoke to us, he was standing right next to me. He apologized and invited us to come back, but I haven't been back since. The food doesn't impress me and I prefer Dixie Bones over them or Famous Daves.

Post imported post

eyesopened wrote:
    Grapeshot wrote:
    eyesopened wrote:
    zoom6zoom wrote:
    Why would he ask that?

Yata hey
    Well he comped our dinner because of the awful service we'd received. He also got complaints from the other tables around us. I can only assume that he wasn't going to comp any alcoholic beverages. I don't drink while carrying and none of us were drinking that night so our entire dinner was free.

We were sitting at a booth and I was at the end with my strong side facing out. When he spoke to us, he was standing right next to me. He apologized and invited us to come back, but I haven't been back since. The food doesn't impress me and I prefer Dixie Bones over them or Famous Daves.
    Were these complaints from the nearby tables also about the poor service or were they about your OC?

On a lighter note, maybe your server was nervous because s/he was afraid of the consequences of screwing up your order? Think "Good Fellas" and the fate of the kid who couldn't get the sandwiches right.

A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

Member VCDL, NRA

Post imported post

The complaints were about the awful service the other tables were getting. At first our table thought it was just us, but we asked some other folks and they had the same complaints.

The server just didn't have a care in the world and that was the problem. He couldn't care enough to come buy to fill up drinks or get our orders correct. He also was being a smart ass and I'm not sure why as we were nothing but cordial.

Manager said they had received numerous complaints and he probably wouldnt' have a job after this evening. I told him that I didn't want him to lose his job, but he needed some talking to as you don't treat paying customers like that. This was a couple of months ago and people still aren't eating out as much as they used to.

Anyways I haven't been back since but important thing to me in the encounter was the manager made no specific issue about my firearm.

Post imported post

I have open carried there a number of times without any issue. I found it interesting that you had poor service since the last time we went there our service was unusually bad.

Before that,our service there had been great. We always had gotten great food and service , BUT, the last time it was really bad. I likely will give them another chance but that will be their last chance unless things improve.

Never had any problems there with open carry though even though I intentionally sit strong side out.

Post imported post

mercutio545 wrote:
    Smokey Bones used to be in the Darden family of restaurants, so you might have had trouble in the past, but I believe they were sold to someone else.
    Correct. In Dec. 2007 Darden sold Smokey Bones so they shouldn't have any anti-gun corporate policies to follow anymore.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

nova wrote:
    mercutio545 wrote:
    Correct. In Dec. 2007 Darden sold Smokey Bones so they shouldn't have any anti-gun corporate policies to follow anymore.
    Sun Capital Partners, Inc. is the new owner.
    http://www.smartbrief.com/news/aaaa/industry

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Regarding Darden's supposed anti-gun policies, I regularly eat out at Darden restaurants and have never had an issue with carrying in any of the states where I can legally carry in places serving alcohol. The wife has worked for Darden for 10+ years and has never heard of Darden's supposed anti-gun stance, other than in regad to employees carrying.