• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

You CANNOT OC in IN with a MI CPL

horneraa

imported post

My e-mail to the Indiana State Police:

Your Name: Aaron *********

Your Email: *********@gmail.com

Subject: CPL Reciprocation

To Whom It May Concern:

IC 35-47-2-21 states: "[...]
(b) Licenses to carry handguns, issued by other states or foreign countries, will be recognized according to the terms thereof but only while the holders are not residents of Indiana. [...]"

Can you clarify what is meant by the phrase "according to the terms thereof"?

Specifically, I am a Michigan CPL holder inquiring as to the rights I am provided when carrying in Indiana.

* Can I open carry with a Michigan CPL?
* Am I restricted by Indiana AND Michigan pistol free zones, or just Indiana?

Please elaborate on these topics.

Best regards,
Aaron *********
ISP Response:
You are held to the restrictions of your license in your home state. Example: if you are issued a concealed carry permit in your home state, then the weapon must be concealed in Indiana. If you cannot carry on your person in the vehicle in your home state, then you cannot do so in Indiana.

Indiana does not regulate in establishments selling alcohol. If the law in your state is related to the terms under which you were issued your license, then you cannot do so in Indiana either. If you want to know that, then you need to contact your licensing authorities, not us.

Lt. Jerry A. Berkey
Indiana State Police
Records Division, Rm 302 100 N. Senate Avenue--IGCN
Indianapolis, IN 46204
317-232-8263 MW2498
This spells it out pretty clearly to me. You are basically restricted to the laws of BOTH states while in Indiana, with the added rule that a CPL only allows you to carry concealed in Indiana, not OC. Thoughts?

horneraa

imported post

Wait, is that legal? I mean.... They'll issue me, a Michigan resident, a LTC and it will be valid here in Michigan because of reciprocity? That doesn't sound right... Please tell me its true.

Oh wait... I need to send them a copy of my resident CPL

CraigC178

imported post

You'll need to check Michigan's laws to see if its valid for you in Michigan, but Indiana will honor a non-resident PA license when you're across the border.

On second thought, Michigan probably requires residents to have a Michigan CPL as they do not recognize non-resident licenses. The PA license is valid in MI for PA residents, but I know that I cannot carry in Michigan because I am an Illinois resident.

Check both state's laws at www.handgunlaw.us

horneraa

imported post

Yeah, yeah... I see what you're saying. Indiana doesn't specify residence, so what I can do is get a Pennsylvania LTC and present it while open-carrying in Indiana. A good way to cover my ass. I just might do this.

Beau

imported post

IANAL...but

I call bs on this. I would consult an attorney, not the ISP. I just don't see how LE can be expected to know the restrictions on an out of state permit/license when there are a lot of them that don't understand, or areignorant on IN LTCH laws. Plus how would they charge you??

Example: Ohio prohibits carrying into an establishment that sells alcohol for consumption on premises. In IN this is legal. How would they charge a personcarrying in a bar in INon an Ohio CCW with a violation of another states laws?

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I agree with Beau, that don't sound right. You need to do some more checking.

Usually, you are to comply with the laws of the state you are visiting. I know that someone from Ky with a CC permit can carry CC or OC while in TN. Ky doesn't require a permit to OC, while TN does.

horneraa

imported post

Beau wrote:
IANAL...but

I call bs on this. I would consult an attorney, not the ISP. I just don't see how LE can be expected to know the restrictions on an out of state permit/license when there are a lot of them that don't understand, or areignorant on IN LTCH laws. Plus how would they charge you??

Example: Ohio prohibits carrying into an establishment that sells alcohol for consumption on premises. In IN this is legal. How would they charge a personcarrying in a bar in INon an Ohio CCW with a violation of another states laws?
I am consulting the Indiana Attorney General.

They wouldn't be holding you to another states laws. They would be holding you to an Indiana law which states, in part:

[...] (b) Licenses to carry handguns, issued by other states or foreign countries, will be recognized according to the terms thereof but only while the holders are not residents of Indiana. [...]
I would imagine that if you went to court over it, they would be more than happy to cite this, and then through this, the laws of the state you were from.

But I don't think your example would happen. I'm sure if you are following all of IN law, they wouldn't question. Its when you shoot somebody in the bar, even in self-defense with a dozen witness supporting you, that they whip out this law and nab you with a felony.

lockman

State Researcher
imported post

So where does IN stand if my home permit allows me to carry it around in my hand? Or taped to my forehead?

Yea, BS here. Do not rely on legal opinions of LEO's on carry matters.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

horneraa wrote:
My e-mail to the Indiana State Police:

Your Name: Aaron *********

Your Email: *********@gmail.com

Subject: CPL Reciprocation

To Whom It May Concern:

IC 35-47-2-21 states: "[...]
(b) Licenses to carry handguns, issued by other states or foreign countries, will be recognized according to the terms thereof but only while the holders are not residents of Indiana. [...]"

Can you clarify what is meant by the phrase "according to the terms thereof"?

Specifically, I am a Michigan CPL holder inquiring as to the rights I am provided when carrying in Indiana.

* Can I open carry with a Michigan CPL?
* Am I restricted by Indiana AND Michigan pistol free zones, or just Indiana?

Please elaborate on these topics.

Best regards,
Aaron *********
ISP Response:
You are held to the restrictions of your license in your home state. Example: if you are issued a concealed carry permit in your home state, then the weapon must be concealed in Indiana. If you cannot carry on your person in the vehicle in your home state, then you cannot do so in Indiana.

Indiana does not regulate in establishments selling alcohol. If the law in your state is related to the terms under which you were issued your license, then you cannot do so in Indiana either. If you want to know that, then you need to contact your licensing authorities, not us.

Lt. Jerry A. Berkey
Indiana State Police
Records Division, Rm 302 100 N. Senate Avenue--IGCN
Indianapolis, IN 46204
317-232-8263 MW2498
This spells it out pretty clearly to me. You are basically restricted to the laws of BOTH states while in Indiana, with the added rule that a CPL only allows you to carry concealed in Indiana, not OC. Thoughts?

Again, why are you asking the police for legal advice? Why would you think they will give you correct advice?

Your inquiry needs to be YOUR inquiry. What does the relevant reciprocity statute in Indiana say?

regardless, the Michigan Concealed Pistol Permit does not in fact require concealed crry, in fact, CPL holders are equired under Michigan law to OPEN CARRY in banks, hospitals, and many other places - see chart in the Michigan forums.

And no, forign state laws do not follow you into other states - nonesense.

horneraa

imported post

I didn't ask any old LEO, I e-mailed the HQ to get a general position on the issue. This is what I got. Also, I did say I am consulting with the Attorney General. I'll post again when the e-mail comes back from that office.

dadpharm

imported post

Check again. Ex., SC does not allow open carry nor caRRY IN RESTAURANTS THAT SERVE ALCOHOL. If you have a IN permit could you open carry here and carry in these restaurants? Of course not. TX

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

Interesting equal rights violation here. Since Michigan issues a Concealed Carry license/permit, the only way Indiana will honor such is if the individual from Michigan carries concealed. However, since Pennsylvania issues a License to Carry Firearms, which really doesn't have any restrictions, the individual from Pennsylvania can carry either openly or concealed.

Apparently in Indiana a visitor from Pennsylvania has more rights and privileges than a visitor from Michigan.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Statkowski wrote:
Interesting equal rights violation here. Since Michigan issues a Concealed Carry license/permit, the only way Indiana will honor such is if the individual from Michigan carries concealed. However, since Pennsylvania issues a License to Carry Firearms, which really doesn't have any restrictions, the individual from Pennsylvania can carry either openly or concealed.

Apparently in Indiana a visitor from Pennsylvania has more rights and privileges than a visitor from Michigan.
Therein lies the problem. There are no restictions on Michigan's CPL's to carry concealed in the State. Therefore, a resident of Michigan with a CPL can OC or CC in Indiana. Far too many LEO's, especially in Michigan, think the CPL requires us to CC--there's no Michigan statute whatsoever that requires CPL holders to do so.

cce1302

imported post

Can you carry at the state fair in Michigan on your CPL?

I bet they'd defecate themselves if you tried to carry at the Indiana state fair with a Michigan CPL.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

cce1302 wrote:
Can you carry at the state fair in Michigan on your CPL?

I bet they'd defecate themselves if you tried to carry at the Indiana state fair with a Michigan CPL.
I'm sure many do, at least CC anyways. It's not statutorily prohibited in Michigan like it is in Indiana. I've never been toa Michigan State Fair but I'm sure it's posted for no firearms--just a guess on my part.

dadpharm

imported post

This should not be much of a discussion. Of course you follow the laws of the state you carry in!!

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

This should not be much of a discussion. Of course you follow the laws of the state you carry in!!
But when in State "A" you shouldn't also have to follow the laws of State "B".

Either the laws of State "A" apply uniformly to everyone in the state, whether residents or visitors, or they do not, in which case Equal Protection applies.

dadpharm

imported post

SORRY, i MEANT YOU FOLLOW THE LAWS of thestate you are visiting.If you are from STATE A and visit STATE B you carry according to thelaws of State B TX