• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Military Flap Holster

Grimes

imported post

I've been asked this by a few people and have wondered myself, would carrying in a military flap holster be considered open or concealed carry?

AZkopper

imported post

ARS Title 13, chapter 31 (weapons and explosives), states:

13-3102A1: A person commits misconduct involving weapons by knowingly carrying a deadly weapon without a permit pursuant to section 13-3112 except a pocket knife concealed on his person;

and

13-3102G:Subsection A, paragraph 1 of this section shall not apply to a weapon or weapons carried in a belt holster that is wholly or partially visible, carried in a scabbard or case designed for carrying weapons that is wholly or partially visible or carried in luggage.

So, if the holster is wholly or partially visible, and it is clearly a firearms holster (ie: not designed to look like a cell phone case or fannypack, for example), then you are good.

mFonz77

imported post

ARS 13-3102.G:

G. Subsection A, paragraph 1 of this section shall not apply to a weapon or weapons carried in a belt holster that is wholly or partially visible, carried in a scabbard or case designed for carrying weapons that is wholly or partially visible or carried in luggage.

As a military flap-style holster is clearly "designed for carrying weapons" my interpretation of the letter of the law is you're good to go. As always, IANAL and this is not legal advice.

Grimes

imported post

Thanks guys, I'll look into it more.

I'm planning a OC hike at Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument with a few friends in a couple of weeks. I'd just like to carry it in something that offers some protection from dust.

Grimes

imported post

Just got an email back from
Code:
Vivian Sartori 
Division of Interpretation 
Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument 
#10 Organ Pipe Drive 
Ajo, AZ 85321

The question I asked was if they are aware of the new law and I got this is response.

"If you are licensed to carry a gun (either open or CCW), you may carry one within the monument. All State of Arizona laws apply."

So, you do need an Arizona CCW license to carry openly in the monument?

Code:

Sonora Rebel

imported post

I dunno what kind of pistol you have that a flapped holster fits. (there's all kinds of those). Vivian is a soup sandwich... OC doesn't require anything and never has.

Flapped holsters are OC in AZ.

Grimes

imported post

She sent an email back saying,

"No. You just need your state license in order to carry openly. You do not
need a CCW license unless you carry a concealed weapon."

:celebrate

and thanks for the info on the flap holster Sonora Rebel ;)

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Organ Pipe is a major corridor for illegals/smugglers. Heads up on that. (Situational Awareness)

The only thing required for OC in AZ is to be 'in' AZ.

Dunno what size pistol you've got... or type. The M1912 is designed for the 1911-A1. Internal configuration doesn't allow for anything else that I know of. The Bianchi UM-84 will handle a 1911 and about any other large framed auto. These are nylon mil-specand tough as nails. Just run the designations on your browser and check pix.

Grimes

imported post

Yeah, situational awareness will be key. I'll be with a few other people too.

Pistol I plan to take is either my Makarov or Tokarev, but i'm leaning more to the Makarov. I'm just going to use the leather holster they came with.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

My wife carries hers (was mine) in a black one (Luftwaffe/Marine). I dunno of any others for the Mak... altho I have a rain pattern camo (E-German) nylon one for it somewhere. I'd go for carrying something 'bigger' in that area tho.