Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SHERIFF TOWN HALL MEETING

Post imported post

On Thursday, February 25, Clark County Sheriff Doug Gillespie will be hosting a town hall meeting to unveil his tentative budget for the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department.

This serves as a great opportunity for NRA members in Clark County to ask important questions as to the efficacy of the seventy-year old Handgun Registration Program and whether or not it drains much-needed funds away from services that are currently on the chopping block.

NRA has been pursuinganswers regarding the program for years and has yet to receive anythingsubstantive as to its effectiveness beyond placing an onerous burden on law-abiding Clark County residents.

The following are some questions to consider asking Sheriff Gillespie:

1.) Other than the usual anecdotes, what objective data can the department present that would lead a reasonable person to conclude that there is a real law enforcementbenefit to Clark County with the registration program in place?

2.) How much Metro staff and man-hours, civilian or otherwise, are devoted to the registration program?

3.) Does the registration program provide enough crime fighting benefit that it should hold a higher priority above on-the-street police officers?

Please take the time to attend this important meeting![/b] With budget constraints facing the county, this is a unique opportunity to get your questions answered regarding this program. The event will be held at 6:00 p.m. in the Whitney Library located at 5175 E. Tropicana Avenue, near Nellis Boulevard.
    Life member GOA and NRA. Member of SAF, NAGR, TXGR and Cast Bullet Assoc.

Post imported post

I'm out of town on business otherwise I'd love to attend. Please show up and present some credible arguments to this BS blue card registration that we've had to endure.

Post imported post

I plan to be there.

Post imported post

I'm not sure if I would be able to make it. I think wearing a empty holster might make a statement. Sense guns aren't allowed in the library.

Actually the more I think about it. I just might have to make it down there. Give me a good excuse to wear my green shirt as a F-you to them.
    EDC=XDm40 16+1+16+16

RED DRAGONS!!!!

Post imported post

Sabotage70 wrote:
    I'm not sure if I would be able to make it. I think wearing a empty holster might make a statement. Sense guns aren't allowed in the library.

Actually the more I think about it. I just might have to make it down there. Give me a good excuse to wear my green shirt as a F-you to them.
    no, guns may be carries openly in public buildings, the ban ONLY applies to concealed carry. That is what the law reads, it doesn't matter what Doofus Doug thinks.

Post imported post

Subject: FW: Gillespie Townhall Meeting

Fellow Gun Owners of Clark County,

There are only two places in USA where handguns are required to beregistered. One of them is Clark County.
    Two years ago we tried to get rid of this program, but only 10, that's rightONLY TENpeople showed up at the hearing totestify against this registration program.With the money crunch hitting Clark County hard and the Sheriff wanting more deputies and wanting tobuild anew headquarters, they can't justify theirexpensive gun registration program any more.

This is our best chance toeliminate this anti gun program for good. Please send this to all of your fellow gun owners, let's attend and make our voices heard!!Maybe it would also be timeto sendsome petitions to theSheriff and the Clark County Commission requesting that this program be eliminated as a cost control measure.

Don't register your hand gun again, let your voices be heard!!

If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Post imported post

Well, what's the consensus by attendees? Do we OC or not? Pros, Cons?
    "Let your gun be your companion on all your walks."
    -- Thomas Jefferson
    who might have wished he carried my .45ACP G-36 1+6+1

Post imported post

My opinion: salesmanship... If you want to be heard and taken seriously, leave the guns at home this trip. Dress nicely and speakwith well thought out reason. If you show up wearing guns/holsters, cammo, t-shirts with messages, ect., you will be playing into the hands of those who say we are militant militia members (gun nuts)and not the common ordinary citizens we want to be reflected as. Present yourselves as citizens concerned about budget waste. Point out that we are not getting our monies worth with this registration program.

I had very much planned to be there but I neglected to check with the boss (wife). She says I am already otherwise engaged and can't back out. I hope others can attend and put on a good showing.

Post imported post

Jared wrote
    no, guns may be carries openly in public buildings, the ban ONLY applies to concealed carry. That is what the law reads, it doesn't matter what Doofus Doug thinks.
    Granted it's Nye County, but I OC in my local Public Library every time I go there. Never had any issue beyond the "security" guy making eye contact with both me and my weapon, presumably to let me know he knows I'm armed. *shrug*

Jared's right on this one. OC is OK in Library.

Post imported post

The Big Guy wrote:
    My opinion: salesmanship... If you want to be heard and taken seriously, leave the guns at home this trip. Dress nicely and speakwith well thought out reason. If you show up wearing guns/holsters, cammo, t-shirts with messages, ect., you will be playing into the hands of those who say we are militant militia members (gun nuts)and not the common ordinary citizens we want to be reflected as. Present yourselves as citizens concerned about budget waste. Point out that we are not getting our monies worth with this registration program.

I had very much planned to be there but I neglected to check with the boss (wife). She says I am already otherwise engaged and can't back out. I hope others can attend and put on a good showing.
    This is great advice and should be followed. No OC, it's counter-productive in this instance. Most of the people in attendance will care about money, tax dollars, and how it's being spent or wasted. Everyone can relate to the almighty dollar and seeing our government waste your hard earned money is something anyone will be able to understand.

Dress professionally and carry yourself in a confident, serious demeanor andhave a well thought out approach along with practicing what you're going to say and you'll get a lot more positive attention than you willin your Glock t-shirt, camo pants and combat boots waving a flag. There is a time and place for everything and this is the time to blend in with the conservative professionals who make these laws whether you like them or not.

Post imported post

Agent19 wrote:
    Subject: FW: Gillespie Townhall Meeting
    Fellow Gun Owners of Clark County,
    There are only two places in USA where handguns are required to beregistered. One of them is Clark County.
    Two years ago we tried to get rid of this program, but only 10, that's rightONLY TENpeople showed up at the hearing totestify against this registration program.With the money crunch hitting Clark County hard and the Sheriff wanting more deputies and wanting tobuild anew headquarters, they can't justify theirexpensive gun registration program any more.
    This is our best chance toeliminate this anti gun program for good. Please send this to all of your fellow gun owners, let's attend and make our voices heard!!Maybe it would also be timeto sendsome petitions to theSheriff and the Clark County Commission requesting that this program be eliminated as a cost control measure.
    Don't register your hand gun again, let your voices be heard!!
    Can you help me out with a reference for where else besides ClarkC handgun registration is required?

This is good information for arguing the subject. It's the kind of fact I might find handy in case I get the microphone tomorrow.

I've floundered around on the net for a while now, but can't come up anything. Sounds right to me, but I'd like to be able to quote a source.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Post imported post

Well... Unless things have VERY recently changed, you're required to register a handgun in the entire state of Michigan. The 2 places comment seems unbelievable to me and I would also appreciate a cite.

I hate citing wiki... but it's easiest to find and SHOULD give some insight into why 2 places requiring is unbelievable... A very quick skim would indicate California and Hawaii also require registration, and Arizona has a "partial registration" requirement.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_law...%28by_state%29

I'm sure Google can find the truth with enough time invested.

Post imported post

California is where I bought my last handgun. I don't recall any registration with law enforcement when I bought it, just the typical background check and a lengthy wait to actually pick up the gun from the store. Of course, getting my CCW got me "registered" into the California law enforcement data base.

I don't plan to get my next handgun registered here in Clark County. It'll be for just OC and the range. If I'm not going to CC it, I can get a heavy puppy like the Desert Eagle .50 semi-auto I've been lusting after.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Post imported post

Rick, you know what they say about the size of the Gun...lol I have a desert eagle 50 cal...wow..... what a hand full...but ever one i know that has one and shoot one, Gets into hand loading the cartridges them self...I ended up with about $800 tied up just to load the damn cartridges.....But it sure is fun:celebrate

Post imported post

Vegas Rick wrote:
    Can you help me out with a reference for where else besides ClarkC handgun registration is required?

The only two places that I know of are Clark county and Ill., that stupid FOID card.

I shredded all my blue cards and have sent them to the CCW detail, and yes I'm a NV resident (part time).
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Post imported post

Agent19 wrote:
    Vegas Rick wrote:

The only two places that I know of are Clark county and Ill., that stupid FOID card.

I shredded all my blue cards and have sent them to the CCW detail, and yes I'm a NV resident (part time).
    "Unless specifically exempted by statute, any Illinois resident who acquires or possesses firearm or firearm ammunition within the State must have in their possession a valid Firearm Owner's Identification (FOID) card issued in his or her name."

Well, looks like Chicago politicians did a number on the whole state. That sure is handgun registration. Pretty sad. You can't even buy ammo without the card.

I guess we in Clark County are somewhat lucky. At least our blue card isn't the full fledged photo ID like in Illinois.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Post imported post

Alright I'm going to be there. I'll try and look as professional as I can. I can't promise you much. But I'll make sure my knuckles aren't bragging the ground.:P
    EDC=XDm40 16+1+16+16

RED DRAGONS!!!!

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

I overslept, how'd it go?

Post imported post

timf343 wrote:
    Slacker .... well, me to. Actually, I went to bed after my weak knee blew out on me and I felt sorry for myself. An admitted wimp.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Post imported post

timf343 wrote:
    Not to bad. Right off the bat the sheriff was getting hammered with the gun registration deal. He said he wasn't going to budge on it either. Kept insisting that it was a viable tool. I wore my voice recorder so if anybody wants I can edit down the Q&A for download. It's to late for me to do it now. But I can do it tomorrow.
    EDC=XDm40 16+1+16+16

RED DRAGONS!!!!

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

I don't care what he says. I do not work for him. HE WORKS FOR ME. The Sheriff will do what the people tell him to do. Now it's just a matter of stepping up efforts to:

1. Replace the sheriff in the next election.
    2. Compel Clark County to repeal registration.
    3. Compel State Legislature to strengthen preemption with nothing grandfathered.

Tim

Post imported post

Sabotage70 wrote:
    timf343 wrote:
    Not to bad. Right off the bat the sheriff was getting hammered with the gun registration deal. He said he wasn't going to budge on it either. Kept insisting that it was a viable tool. I wore my voice recorder so if anybody wants I can edit down the Q&A for download. It's to late for me to do it now. But I can do it tomorrow.
    70, Now i know what you meant when we were talking outside....you for got to turn off your recorder....duaaaaaaaa

forget New Orleans...:celebrate see YA SATURDAY

Post imported post

timf343 wrote:
    I don't care what he says. I do not work for him. HE WORKS FOR ME. The Sheriff will do what the people tell him to do. Now it's just a matter of stepping up efforts to:

1. Replace the sheriff in the next election.
    2. Compel Clark County to repeal registration.
    3. Compel State Legislature to strengthen preemption with nothing grandfathered.

Tim
    So where do we get lunch at before the next County Commissioner meeting?

It would be good to show up strong on the public input end. can you "back door" email everyone that signed the petition?

Post imported post

Someone posted this on Nevada shooters.

http://www.lasvegasnow.com/Global/ca...&nav=menu102_8
    EDC=XDm40 16+1+16+16

RED DRAGONS!!!!

Post imported post

Our Sheriff said he talked to all his detectives and ask them if the hand gun registration was a viable tool...he said they all agreed it was....Has any one gut up a petition against it and presented it to him and the state???? I cant believe we couldn't get thousands of names on a petition....

of course back in the 30's Hitler tried the same thing....he also thought he was right...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast