• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SHERIFF TOWN HALL MEETING

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I don't care what he says. I do not work for him. HE WORKS FOR ME. The Sheriff will do what the people tell him to do. Now it's just a matter of stepping up efforts to:

1. Replace the sheriff in the next election.
2. Compel Clark County to repeal registration.
3. Compel State Legislature to strengthen preemption with nothing grandfathered.

Tim

doninvegas

imported post

Sabotage70 wrote:
timf343 wrote:
I overslept, how'd it go?

Not to bad. Right off the bat the sheriff was getting hammered with the gun registration deal. He said he wasn't going to budge on it either. Kept insisting that it was a viable tool. I wore my voice recorder so if anybody wants I can edit down the Q&A for download. It's to late for me to do it now. But I can do it tomorrow.
70, Now i know what you meant when we were talking outside....you for got to turn off your recorder....duaaaaaaaa

forget New Orleans...:celebrate see YA SATURDAY

DON`T TREAD ON ME

imported post

timf343 wrote:
I don't care what he says. I do not work for him. HE WORKS FOR ME. The Sheriff will do what the people tell him to do. Now it's just a matter of stepping up efforts to:

3. Compel State Legislature to strengthen preemption with nothing grandfathered.

Tim

So where do we get lunch at before the next County Commissioner meeting?

It would be good to show up strong on the public input end. can you "back door" email everyone that signed the petition?

doninvegas

imported post

Our Sheriff said he talked to all his detectives and ask them if the hand gun registration was a viable tool...he said they all agreed it was....Has any one gut up a petition against it and presented it to him and the state???? I cant believe we couldn't get thousands of names on a petition....

of course back in the 30's Hitler tried the same thing....he also thought he was right...

The Big Guy

imported post

How can we dig up the crime statistics to support their contention that registration is a positive tool in their arsenal of crime fighting tools? I challenge them to show me 1 (one) violent or even serious crime solved because of hand gun registration. Think I will drop Doug a note asking him that very question.

45 ACP rocks

imported post

The Big Guy wrote:
How can we dig up the crime statistics to support their contention that registration is a positive tool in their arsenal of crime fighting tools? I challenge them to show me 1 (one) violent or even serious crime solved because of hand gun registration. Think I will drop Doug a note asking him that very question.
http://www.sfu.ca/~mauser/papers/slipperyslope/FI-Slippery-Slope.pdf

for how it's working in Canada, which is well in advance of our own slippery slope.

I've been trying to find out how useful registration is, but without much success. I don't think the chief can come up any convincing examples.

45 ACP rocks

imported post

Sabotage70 wrote:
Written report at http://www.lasvegasnow.com/Global/story.asp?S=12048507

The Channel 8 report links to the Metro website, which quotes the State law that shows the grandfathering of local statutes. This is what supports the chief's position that county registration is still allowed.

However, if they are going to quote State law, it should at least be the current law. I think the quoted section is the way the law read prior to the amendment in 2007 which RESCINDS such grandfathered statutes.

This is outrageous. Metro is being deceptive. The amendment also required local governments to revise their statutes to come in compliance, which Clark County refuses to do.

aadvark

imported post

I fully agree, make The Sheiff explain Himself, and hold Him accotable for His actions.

Maybe He will petition The Nevada Legislature to be-rid of the Preemption exception for Clark County..., in an effort to save Himself much needed Funds and Revenue.

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Sorry I didn't make it. I had printed out this petition that was started a few months back. Only 200 signatures, but I didn't market it very hard. It was my intention to stand up and read each of these 200 names to the Sheriff.

http://www.petitiononline.com/1204110r/petition.html

If you haven't signed yet, please do. Please send to friends/family/coworkers/any other like-minded individuals, and feel free to cross post.

Tim

The Big Guy

imported post

What about asking gun shops to put up signs asking people to go online and sign this?

doninvegas

imported post

The Big Guy wrote:
What about asking gun shops to put up signs asking people to go online and sign this?
Maybe a half a dozen folks at the coming Gun Shows with clip boards just walking around and get signatures....on paper...

:)

joeschmo

imported post

timf343 wrote:

Tim

He works for the people of Clark County. Unfortunately, the people of Clark County don't always share the same viewpoint as this forum on issues like this. So like you say, the Sheriff will do what the people tell him to do. Educate the people on the issue and if you have enough support that is willing to come out and show support, you may get somewhere. Until then nothing will change. You should also petition the County Commission more than the Sheriff since they can repeal that registration ordinance.

My old boss was there on the recording... LOL.

DON`T TREAD ON ME

imported post

The Sheriff, in his own words, said it was up to what the detectives and officers wanted (Not the people), The Sheriff Believes in gun registration, as well as confiscation in times of emergency's like Katrina, I do not believe the majority of the population of Clark County share his extreme vision.

Joe you are right we need to address Clark county, But we need to educate our Sheriff as well as the officers on the streets, since we know that they all have separate interpretations of law.

joeschmo

imported post

DON`T TREAD ON ME wrote:
The Sheriff, in his own words, said it was up to what the detectives and officers wanted (Not the people), The Sheriff Believes in gun registration, as well as confiscation in times of emergency's like Katrina, I do not believe the majority of the population of Clark County share his extreme vision.

Joe you are right we need to address Clark county, But we need to educate our Sheriff as well as the officers on the streets, since we know that they all have separate interpretations of law.
Did you listen to his town hall question and answer? In it he said "I won't take your guns." He also explained his stance on taking guns in an emergency.

DON`T TREAD ON ME

imported post

joeschmo wrote:
DON`T TREAD ON ME wrote:

Did you listen to his town hall question and answer? In it he said "I won't take your guns." He also explained his stance on taking guns in an emergency.
Joe, buy a dictionary and look up "infringed"....