• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

If passed, what would this mean for the 2nd Amendment/RKBA in Hawaii?

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

IF PASSED, what would this mean for the 2nd Amendment/RKBA in Hawaii?

Senate to Vote on Self-Government for Native Hawaiians

HONOLULU— Hawaii politicians are scrambling to gather enough votes in Congress to pass a bill that would grant Native Hawaiians a degree of self-government and possibly a share of the land ruled by their ancestors.[/b]

After seven years of debate, the proposal to recognize Native Hawaiians as indigenous inhabitants of the 50th state — a legal status similar to that of American Indians — has finally been promised a vote in the Senate. The vote could come as early as next week.

Democratic Sen. Daniel Akaka[/b] says he has solid support from his party, but will need help from Republicans to pass the proposal.

The bill provides a process to set up a Native Hawaiian government and then start negotiations to transfer power and property from state and federal authorities to Hawaiians. The form of government and the amount of public land to be granted wouldn't be decided until then.

The new government would not be allowed to deny civil rights or set up gambling operations such as those allowed for Indian tribes on the mainland.

Akaka said the bill, which passed the House in 2000 but never made it to the Senate floor, will help right some of the wrongs done by the U.S. government in the 1893 overthrow of the Hawaiian monarchy.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,197392,00.html

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Well, here on the mainland, I believe most sovereign American Indian reservations do NOT allow firearms carry, even in your car, so you'd just better keep on passin' through. Gas stops within a reservation is okay, but then be on your way. Some reservations may be more "gun friendly" but most I believe are not, as they make their own laws despite any state/federal laws to the contrary.

Hawaii is oppressive enough anti-gun wise, but if areas of Hawaii become "sovereign entities" and are anti-gun like most American Indian reservations have proven to be, then it'll only be more oppressive for gun owners to move to/live in the state of Hawaii. And looking at the map of islands and land areas affected, most/all the islands will be affected.

:(

-- John D.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

cloudcroft wrote:
Well, here on the mainland, I believe most sovereign American Indian reservations do NOT allow firearms carry, even in your car, so you'd just better keep on passin' through. Gas stops within a reservation is okay, but then be on your way. Some reservations may be more "gun friendly" but most I believe are not, as they make their own laws despite any state/federal laws to the contrary.

Hawaii is oppressive enough anti-gun wise, but if areas of Hawaii become "sovereign entities" and are anti-gun like most American Indian reservations have proven to be, then it'll only be more oppressive for gun owners to move to/live in the state of Hawaii. And looking at the map of islands and land areas affected, most/all the islands will be affected.

:(

-- John D.
That doesn't seem to be the case in North West. Most my native family are very pro-2A. Although tribal lands may not appreciate open carry yet ( I have a few times on a couple local tribes and have had no problems). I have found the majority of natives I know to be pro gun. Must remember hunting and being born a warrior is part of most native American cultures. They were not subjects of a monarchy like Europeans and the right to bear arms predates any European settlement of this land.

I sympathize with what senator Akaka is trying to do. But again he is pandering without thinking things through. (typical politician) All this current bill would do is ad to the frustration of native Hawaiians looking for a cultural identity. Without figuring things out like what land, how they can get funds (without gambling) to run their government etc. it leaves too much in the air. It makes Akaka look like he is doing something he gets a bill passed, but then it could take decades if ever for the state or U.S. government to grant any of the things that go along with any type of sovereignty. You would think he would talk to some native nations before drafting up these bills.

Personally I feel Niihau should be granted this status already. As privately owned land they can trespass non-natives from the island and is almost wholly occupied by those of Hawaiian descent. They are also fairly self supportive and have kept Hawaiian culture and language very much alive. Common sense to me, but Akaka apparently lacks that.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Lolo haole!

The citizens are not armed well enough for that quite yet. And the native Hawaiian's are but a minority in their homeland. Won't be enough support for that action.

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

I disagree.

If - IF - kama'aina committed to going back to the old ways and the old lifestyle, then degrade the infrastructure that supports and attracts the tourists (that stay for a day or a decade) and it would be done without firing a shot.

Malicious compliance is a tool. Be very thorough and intrusive in security/agricultural inspections at ports of entry. Never never haywire a mechanical job but always order almost the right part from the mainland. Have a fenderbender, then leave the hulk in the hiway, maybe to be hit by another brother.

Refuse to work for less than haole wages. (Incidentally, haole means no-breath ghostlike and dead.)

I will be pleased to be corrected and contradicted by a child of the Island. I think that there is an aphorism from Frank Herbert's Dune that is appropriate.

The conspiracy of ignorance masquerades as common sense.

NightOwl

imported post

Seems that the hawaii politicians better come to terms with the fact that the 2A is coming, and change the laws before they're forciblythrown outthrough the courts.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
imported post

...but it's the people of Hawaiiwho voted these anti-gun politicians into office currently -- and have been for many decades -- so if the people don't want change, politicians don't need to change, either. Politcians can't stay in office if the people vote them out. Consequently, just looking at this on the surface, I would say the people of Hawaiimust bemostly (a huge majority) anti-gun.

It may besimilar the situation in sorry Chicago where all those fool votershave kept the Daley dynasty/machine in power all these decades...how can you fix something like that?

As I have asked before, is Hawaii's gun-unfriendly environment because ofan Asian mentality (generally anti-gun voters) going on over there or what?

-- John D.

rickahyatt

imported post

How well I remember, at age 17, coming back from my dad's overseas duty in Japan, where I'd studied Ka-ra-te, to my attend my first "Kill Ha'ole Day" in high school.
That's the first day of school, which has subsequently called "A cultural event', and sanctioned by former HI Gov. Waihe'i, where white kids get initiated with beatings in high school bathrooms as to "Who's in charge," each and every first day of high school.
I wondered what I should do with my skills, since I had to pee bad, and I guess my own fortitude carried my through.
But this deliberate disarmament of all individuals of firearms is what? If nothing else, to prevent the common man, white, oriental, or Hawaiian, from defending their own courage in free speech, property, and the like from the "Powers Who Be."
And please remember, Hawaii is half-way to Red China - In EVERY WAY YOU CAN THINK OF.
It's no small matter that HI Legislators thought up that special and unusual COLB bill that allowed Obama to later infiltrate the White House.
I lived there for decades, and thought moving to Wyoming, what with all its still-nascent wildlife meant moving to a corruption-free world... But, no, they hate QUEERS here, and even as not one, the suspicion is enough... And they have the same "Western Justice," here, too.
More UN-PC people are done in by state-regulated or other "Safety Check Mechanics" on a regular basis than you can ever imagine, and the "Traffic Accidents" then covered-up by the shiny and elite State Police Highway Units.
We DO have our own "Killer Squads," our own Nazi SS.
Being Un-PC meant having FOUR transmissions gone bad by a local bartender/drug dealer, hoping I'd freeze in a blizzard here in high country.
But what's more is.... Local Sheriff Jerry Colson will never investigate my reports... He thinks I'm "Queer..."
No, he and local Prosecutor Cindy Delancy try hard from time to time to - HAVE ME COMMITTED.
Go back to the basics: The 2nd Amendment is to "Defend any individual from criminals - IN GOVERNMENT!"

rickahyatt

imported post

I lived there for decades, so perhaps let me explain by experience:
Fireworks, for example are quite illegal in Hawaii, and so are not allowed, nor sold for the 4th of July.
However, for Chinese New Years and New Years, they are quite plentiful, illegal or not. (Get it?)
For my own personal anti-drug work, I was beaten three times on Maui, twice by (Predictably) the Lahaina Mafia, but then once by the Maui Police. Sen. Inouye wrote me to tell he he'd investigate, but I never heard anything about it.
After my truck was tampered with by a HI State Safety Check Mechanic, the Lahaina Windjammers guys tried to run me off a high-shoulder road several times, because of the salted-out frame members. This particular roadway defect was the direct result of HI Legislative lack of funding, this one stretch of road, only.
I'd had hand-to-hand combat with a Hawaiian Secessionist Legislator, because I'd interfered with his beating his wife in public, in fact.
I'd kept hearing reports of "Gunshots fired" on the scanner, and the MPD kept responding to wrong locations, so, living down the street from the local Drug Baron, a Mr. Valencia, who was doing all the ballistics, I called it in.
And so got beaten for my troubles. Lead down a dark passage, a flashlight shined into my eyes to blind me (Do they learn that in MPD Training?), and a hard blow from it across the temple, knocking me to the ground.
Oh, God forbid I protect myself with a firearm in that state, and so had wisely left it inside the house.
Only that a neighbor's kid walked up to watch allowed a distraction and allow me to quickly flee and hide behind a wall. Being under a bright streetlight prevented them from doing more, but they enlisted the neighbors down below to watch out for me if I went to them for help or assistance.
Moral lesson: DON'T BE AFRAID TO RUN FROM COPS IN HAWAII!
Run - For your life, in fact.
Especially if you're white, "Ha'ole."
And do things that, like, point out local corruption, and the like.
Or - Support of individual rights. Like gun carry.
They REALLY hate that!

Mini14

imported post

Then no white person, or like-minded freedom lovers; they should move elsewhere and homeschool if they must live there. If their kids must attend schools, allow them to restaliate anywhere and by any means necssary. Don't be afraid to let them target anti-white adults, too; pro-secessionist senators need gang-jumped and stomped badly.

Kids, get you a good pair of steel-toed work boots; Wal-mart sells them, too. wear sports armor like kneepads and elbow pads; this will lessen the impact of blows to critical areas. Wear your hair short, to lessen the chances of them grabbing you. Keep a roll pennies, to increase the powerof your blows. You can never a win a bully(s) respect, you can teach him fear,; however.

Mini14

imported post

rickahyatt wrote:
How well I remember, at age 17, coming back from my dad's overseas duty in Japan, where I'd studied Ka-ra-te, to my attend my first "Kill Ha'ole Day" in high school.
That's the first day of school, which has subsequently called "A cultural event', and sanctioned by former HI Gov. Waihe'i, where white kids get initiated with beatings in high school bathrooms as to "Who's in charge," each and every first day of high school.
I wondered what I should do with my skills, since I had to pee bad, and I guess my own fortitude carried my through.
But this deliberate disarmament of all individuals of firearms is what? If nothing else, to prevent the common man, white, oriental, or Hawaiian, from defending their own courage in free speech, property, and the like from the "Powers Who Be."
And please remember, Hawaii is half-way to Red China - In EVERY WAY YOU CAN THINK OF.
It's no small matter that HI Legislators thought up that special and unusual COLB bill that allowed Obama to later infiltrate the White House.
I lived there for decades, and thought moving to Wyoming, what with all its still-nascent wildlife meant moving to a corruption-free world... But, no, they hate QUEERS here, and even as not one, the suspicion is enough... And they have the same "Western Justice," here, too.
More UN-PC people are done in by state-regulated or other "Safety Check Mechanics" on a regular basis than you can ever imagine, and the "Traffic Accidents" then covered-up by the shiny and elite State Police Highway Units.
We DO have our own "Killer Squads," our own Nazi SS.
Being Un-PC meant having FOUR transmissions gone bad by a local bartender/drug dealer, hoping I'd freeze in a blizzard here in high country.
But what's more is.... Local Sheriff Jerry Colson will never investigate my reports... He thinks I'm "Queer..."
No, he and local Prosecutor Cindy Delancy try hard from time to time to - HAVE ME COMMITTED.
Go back to the basics: The 2nd Amendment is to "Defend any individual from criminals - IN GOVERNMENT!"
Document and go to the feds, what is happening to you is criminal harassment. Remember the woman on that bus in 1955? Remember how we killed the 1994 AW ban? If you work for freedom, you will get freedom.

Bustelo5%

imported post

I miss home,Kahlihi for all its problems is beautiful. There is a definite problem with there not being a right to bear on the islands and needs to be changed quick.
I remember a bunch of my Army buddies who had to keep their guns with friends in the mainland. Now im not for our gov taking over sovergin nations but I bet this will never change,wink wink. Lets vote for freedom in Hawaii.