• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What would you do? (Scenario)

Tony Santiago

imported post

You have a family. You awaken to the sound of glass breaking in the front room. You grab your weapon and head out to investigate. As you get to your hall and turn on the light, you look down the hall and see a man, who is armed, that has entered your home.

He sees you, and also sees that you're armed. He fires off two shots at you, but misses. The man proceeds to flee the scene and run out the door. As the man turns around to run out the door, you notice you have a clean shot on him, right in the back.

Do you fire? Would this be justifiable? The man has fled the scene, and is exiting your house. Is he still a threat?

He DID fire two shots at you.

If he leaves, will you have to worry about him coming back at a time when you may not be home?

What would you do in this situation?

Trigger Dr

imported post

You need to familiarize yourself with the Clear and Present Danger Doctrine. Basically once hte agressor has truned his back and started to leave, the clear and present danger has disappeared. It does not matter if he fired a shot at you, he has started to retreat and no longer presents an immediate threat. If he turns around and faces you again, the situation has quite possibly returned to clear and present danger, depending upon his other actions. Did He drop his weapon and raise his hands? Did he raise his hands while still holding the gun? Did he point the gun at you?

Questions you need to be able to answer in the blink of an eye and have the right answer.

As for what I would do under the scenario you presented, I would call 911, advies them what transpired, and remain alert until LEO responds. Then approach LEO with hands clearly visible and EMPTY

Aaron1124

imported post

Trigger Dr wrote:
You need to familiarize yourself with the Clear and Present Danger Doctrine. Basically once hte agressor has truned his back and started to leave, the clear and present danger has disappeared. It does not matter if he fired a shot at you, he has started to retreat and no longer presents an immediate threat. If he turns around and faces you again, the situation has quite possibly returned to clear and present danger, depending upon his other actions. Did He drop his weapon and raise his hands? Did he raise his hands while still holding the gun? Did he point the gun at you?

Questions you need to be able to answer in the blink of an eye and have the right answer.

As for what I would do under the scenario you presented, I would call 911, advies them what transpired, and remain alert until LEO responds. Then approach LEO with hands clearly visible and EMPTY
Technically, the man could fire at you even as he's running away. Especially if he has his pistol in his hands as he's running out the door. When I read the story, the image I got in my head was that of the intruder running away, with pistol in hand.

kparker

imported post

Because I want to know what you would do.

Please try to give a responsive answer. Why do you want to know that? Are you looking for information because you don't know yourself, are you surveying the folks here for some other reason, or...?

FMCDH

imported post

Front/back has nothing to do with this scenario.

In Washington state, its all about threat. Threat to you and possibly others and showing to a PA or jury what you knew about that threat at that time.

A few points...

1. You know for sure he has a real gun, and its loaded.

2. You know for sure he has already committed two crimes, atleast one of which is a felony.

3. You know for sure he is willing to, and capable of murder.

4. You DONT know for sure that hes looking to flee, only that hes he is headed toward the door.

5. You DONT know for sure hes not looking for better cover outside or running to get buddies, or to enter through another entrance.

6. You DONT know that no-one outside that he may come across wont be hurt by his possible escape if he is fleeing.

The fact that he turned his back has no bearing in my mind. He is still in your house, he still has a gun and hes still a threat.

Until hes out of sight, or placed himself in a situation that may endanger more people by my returning fire than than letting him go, hes fair game.

Turning a back to a victim who defends themselves from a clear threat should NEVER become a defense for a criminal.

My .02

Aaron1124

imported post

FMCDH wrote:
Front/back has nothing to do with this scenario.

In Washington state, its all about threat. Threat to you and possibly others and showing to a PA or jury what you knew about that threat at that time.

A few points...

1. You know for sure he has a real gun, and its loaded.

2. You know for sure he has already committed two crimes, atleast one of which is a felony.

3. You know for sure he is willing to, and capable of murder.

4. You DONT know for sure that hes looking to flee, only that hes he is headed toward the door.

5. You DONT know for sure hes not looking for better cover outside or running to get buddies, or to enter through another entrance.

6. You DONT know that no-one outside that he may come across wont be hurt by his possible escape if he is fleeing.

The fact that he turned his back has no bearing in my mind. He is still in your house, he still has a gun and hes still a threat.

Until hes out of sight, or placed himself in a situation that may endanger more people by my returning fire than than letting him go, hes fair game.

Turning a back to a victim who defends themselves from a clear threat should NEVER become a defense for a criminal.

My .02
I agree

DaemonForce

imported post

I would call the police and report it like a good little nub. In the late morning Iwould look for someone that can repair whatever window was brokenand try to get it fixed within the same day. My house is cold enough. Maybe laterinvest about $40 into some networked alarm defenses to give me the chance at a pre-emptive strike if and when it happens again. :celebrate

ShooterMcGavin

imported post

Tony Santiago wrote:
...The man proceeds to flee the scene and run out the door. As the man turns around to run out the door, ...

That is the part that would answer the question for me. How do I know for certainthat he is running out the door and fleeing? If I was sure in my mind that he was running away, I would keep him covered but I wouldn't fire. However, if I saw his shoulders turning in a way that I thought was intended to return fire again, I would fire.

I REALLY don't want to shoot or kill someone, unless I truly think they could be a threat. I don't want blood in my house, I don't want to turn the neighborhood into a crime scene for the night, I don't want the police interrogation, I don't want the possible night in jail, I don't want the hearing loss, I don't want the trauma to myself and my family... There are countless reasons to let a fleeing, non-threateningcriminal leave on his own.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Tony Santiago wrote:
You have a family. You awaken to the sound of glass breaking in the front room. You grab your weapon(Shotgun00 buck, Surefire light)and head out to investigate(I know the layout of my home). As you get to your hall and turn on the light(wouldn't do), you look down the hall and see a man, who is armed,(I would shoot now, in the dark as he is in my home and is on camera)that has entered your home.

He sees you, and also sees that you're armed. He fires off two shots at you, but misses.(wouldn't happen as I would have been able to sneak up on him in my home)The man proceeds to flee the scene and run out the door. As the man turns around to run out the door, you notice you have a clean shot on him, right in the back.

Do you fire? Would this be justifiable? The man has fled the scene, and is exiting your house. Is he still a threat?

If he leaves, will you have to worry about him coming back at a time when you may not be home?

I hate scenario's that I have made efforts to prevent. I have thought this out many times, there is no reason for anyone to be in my home, I can get to anypoint in my home without an intruder knowing I am there. I know where cover is and how to use it to my advantage. The light I use is blinding. With 00 buck, I do not need to be so accurate, only to know my backstop (sidearm is only needed if the backstop is a family memebers bedroom)

killchain

imported post

Tony Santiago wrote:
You have a family. You awaken to the sound of glass breaking in the front room. You grab your weapon and head out to investigate. As you get to your hall and turn on the light, you look down the hall and see a man, who is armed, that has entered your home.

He sees you, and also sees that you're armed. He fires off two shots at you, but misses. The man proceeds to flee the scene and run out the door. As the man turns around to run out the door, you notice you have a clean shot on him, right in the back.

Well, if he somehow lived long enough to get the chance to flee... I'd have to let him go. It's breaking the law, and a DA will prove it. It's the fact that the entry wounds will be in his back.

Aaron1124

imported post

killchain wrote:
Tony Santiago wrote:

Well, if he somehow lived long enough to get the chance to flee... I'd have to let him go. It's breaking the law, and a DA will prove it. It's the fact that the entry wounds will be in his back.
Good to know that next time I'm in a shoot out with someone, all I have to do is turn my back to them, look over my shoulder, and fire at my enemy. That way, if I'm hit, the enemy will be charged, and if he's hit, it'll be justified.

killchain

imported post

Aaron1124 wrote:
killchain wrote:
Tony Santiago wrote:

Good to know that next time I'm in a shoot out with someone, all I have to do is turn my back to them, look over my shoulder, and fire at my enemy. That way, if I'm hit, the enemy will be charged, and if he's hit, it'll be justified.
Welcome to laws.

Try explaining to a group of 12 of your peers why you shot someone in the back.

A pamphlet isn't going to clear that up.

sirpuma

imported post

First, if someone breaks into my home in the middle of the night and I go to investigate with my firearm and I see he's armed, he will not get any shots off (if I'm quick enough) and he won't be getting out of the house under his own power. I'll call 911 after to clean up the mess and file a report. Anyone who breaks into my home (also my place of business) with any weapon clearly has intent to commit at least one felony and has placed my whole family in danger. I will use every bit of force I deem necessary to end that threat. If they are willing to ignore my no trespassing signs, pass by my camera system and break into my home once, they are willing to come back and do it again. We're very rural and out of the view of the streets, anyone breaking into our home is doing it for more than a smash and grab, they will be here for a specific reason. Either to steal our guns (more than a few) or intend direct harm to us. Not gonna happen on my watch.

FMCDH

imported post

killchain wrote:
Aaron1124 wrote:
killchain wrote:
Tony Santiago wrote:

Welcome to laws.

Try explaining to a group of 12 of your peers why you shot someone in the back.

A pamphlet isn't going to clear that up.

Would you mind citingthat law or case that says a person who just tried to murder you but turned his back to you immediately afteris no longer a valid threat?

Should be interesting to read....

midiwall

imported post

If I'm reading this right, I think the answer is "yes, you can shoot him even though he may be fleeing":

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/Rcw/default.aspx?cite=9A.16.050

The key here is that the intruder as already committed a felony against you (attempted murder), so you're clear, even if he does make it out the door (but remains on your property).

Once he's off your property I think the DA will have some questions...