• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is this heaven?!

Dreamer

imported post

When people talk about Switzerland being such a great example of gun ownership, they leave a lot out...

For instance, it is virtually impossible for Swiss to buy handguns. It is virtually impossible to purchase ANY firearms except for the government-supplied battle rifles you see in this video. Ammo purchases are highly restricted. You can't have more than a few hundred rounds in your home.

There is no such thing as OC or CC in Switzerland for citizens.

It's not the "gun owners heaven" that some portray it to be...

They DO hav incredibly low crime. But that may be due in large part to VERY strict immigration policies, a culturally homogeneous population, and a very high standard of living across the board. The story is a LOT deeper than it appears on the surface in Switzerland...

Personally, I don't think I'd hold up the Swiss as an example for ANYTHING, and I can't understand why the Gun Rights movement wants to be associated with Switzerland. They refused to take sides in both World Wars--not even against the Nazis. They have been the money-laundering capital of the world for over 100 years--laundering money from the Nazis, Libya, the Taliban, North Korea, drug lords from Columbia to China, and dictators and despots all over the world. The banks in Switzerland are STILL fighting against Jewish groups to deny access to records of German records from WWII in their attempt to recover private assets stolen by the Third Reich.

The government of Switzerland (and therefore by extension, it's people) is not exactly a paragon of ethics, morals, and trust, IMO.

thnycav

imported post

Switzerland is not a culturally homogeneous population.

Switzerland comprises three main linguistic and cultural regions: German, French, and Italian, to which the Romansh-speaking valleys are added. The Swiss therefore do not form a nation in the sense of a common ethnic or linguistic identity. The strong sense of belonging to the country is founded on the common historical background, shared values (federalism, direct democracy, neutrality)[7][/suP] and Alpine symbolism.[8][/suP] The establishment of the Swiss Confederation is traditionally dated to 1 August 1291; Swiss National Day is celebrated on the anniversary.

Ihave been there and around the country they are different.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

thnycav wrote:
Switzerland is not a culturally homogeneous population.

Switzerland comprises three main linguistic and cultural regions: German, French, and Italian, to which the Romansh-speaking valleys are added. The Swiss therefore do not form a nation in the sense of a common ethnic or linguistic identity. The strong sense of belonging to the country is founded on the common historical background, shared values (federalism, direct democracy, neutrality)[7][/suP] and Alpine symbolism.[8][/suP] The establishment of the Swiss Confederation is traditionally dated to 1 August 1291; Swiss National Day is celebrated on the anniversary.

Ihave been there and around the country they are different.

The point is not whether or not the Swiss are homogonized or not. The point is that they are NOT the gun heaven some folks think they might be, and also carry a certain amount of moral baggage due to their strict banking laws and neutrality.

I forget what the technical term is for trying to change the subject in a debate, but you just did it. Penalty flag on the field! Replay the down.

stay safe.

skidmark

thnycav

imported post

They DO have incredibly low crime. But that may be due in large part to VERY strict immigration policies, a culturally homogeneous population, and a very high standard of living across the board. The story is a LOT deeper than it appears on the surface in Switzerland...

This is from the post above mine. The crime rate is not do to the reasons stated.

They do have a higher sense of self responsibility. In Switzerland up to the age of 55 you are part of the military and bring maintain your weapons at home. What our founding fathers what they meant by a Militia.

Here is an article I found.

http://pages.prodigy.net/vanhooser/the_swiss_and_their_guns.htm

Does not sound very restrictive to me. Sounds better than some States here.