• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Another Gun off the Street

OPS MARINE

imported post

Salinas police say they arrested a gang member about 12:50 a.m. today on the 400 block of East Market Street.

Police said they saw a Toyota Avalon driving on Kern Street and conducted a traffic stop for having a missing front license plate and a rear plate that had been reported lost or stolen.

Omero Venegas, 35, was the driver and sole occupant of the car, police said. He began exiting the car at the Shell gas station at East Market and Kern streets and refused to follow officers' instructions, police said, running away toward Kings Street. After jumping several fences, he was caught on North Madeira Avenue, where police said he again refused officers' commands and started to put his hands in his pockets.
An officer deployed his Taser stun gun, striking Venegas in the upper torso, police said. Venegas continued to resist, officers said, and eventually was taken into custody.

Officers who searched Venegas' vehicle said they found a loaded .40-caliber Glock handgun stolen in a December burglary in Salinas. Venegas was booked at the Monterey County Jail on suspicion of several gun violations, resisting arrest and gang enhancements.

crash5150

imported post

I was just in Salinas over this last weekend. I saw a MMA fight in Chulula or whatever that small town is.

I wouldn't want to live in that area personally... look like lots of gang activities.

Gundude

imported post

I think I'll steal a glock .40, put stolen plates on my car....back only and go drive around. Rocket surgeon?

dirtykoala

imported post

I guess some people just look like they should be pulled over. Sometimes my front plate is on, sometimes I take it off. My wife has her front plate off all of the time (mostly because I don't want to/ don't think I should have to drill holes in the bumper) and neither of us have been pulled over for it.

wewd

imported post

Hopefully the Glock is returned to its rightful owner. After all, that's why we have handgun registration in this state, isn't it?

Gundude

imported post

wewd wrote:
Hopefully the Glock is returned to its rightful owner. After all, that's why we have handgun registration in this state, isn't it?
I remember seeing on Cops, about a handgun that was found on a gangbanger in New Yorkthat was traced back to the police property room in Calif. Maybe I should hold that one till they find the owner.

nerdyvirgin

imported post

lol I can admit i look like i should be pulled over all the time, but that doesnt mean its right or that i should be pulled over when i didnt do anything . its also sad to me that im already so used to being pulled over for nothing it doesnt really bother me anymore.

bogeyx5

imported post

nerdyvirgin wrote:
lol  I can admit i look like i should be pulled over all the time, but that doesnt mean its right or that i should be pulled over  when i didnt do anything . its also sad  to me that im already so used to being pulled over for nothing it doesnt really bother me anymore.

There must be SOME reason you're being pulled over, whether it's for something wrong with your car or your driving habits. Hopefully it is something because I would be worried if the police were making stops for absolutely nothing.

Good thing that gun is going back to its rightful owner (unless the serial numbers were scratched off). At least it's away from one more bad guy who could claim OC.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

bogeyx5 wrote:
nerdyvirgin wrote:
lol I can admit i look like i should be pulled over all the time, but that doesnt mean its right or that i should be pulled over when i didnt do anything . its also sad to me that im already so used to being pulled over for nothing it doesnt really bother me anymore.

There must be SOME reason you're being pulled over, whether it's for something wrong with your car or your driving habits. Hopefully it is something because I would be worried if the police were making stops for absolutely nothing.

Yeah, because profiling is a fantasy conjured up by the ACLU, right?

Every cop I know freely admits using "hunches" and profiling to decide who to stop. It's easy enough to find a real reason to pull anybody over, and even easier to make something up.

99.999% (or more) of the innocent people stopped don't complain, so the cops just keep on doing it.

I was recently stopped at 2:00 AM with a car full of drunk friends (I was their DD). The cop claimed I was doing 53 in a 35. (I wasn't.) We were let go with a warning after they figured out we weren't up to no good.