• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Digital Recorders

Aryk45XD

imported post

Well, I wrote a review of the pen cam and lost it when I tried to send it off. Apparently it didn't like the video that was uploading. Basically, the video quality is amazing and refresh rate is great. You can make out about every car as they zoom across my windshield when it's on my visor. The adjustment to darkness is awesome too. The sound could be better, but very manageable. I'll bring it and my laptop to a meeting sometime. I will say, for short runs or driving it's more than I would need in any defense or bear witness to.

kschmadeka

imported post

Have you tested it to see how long it records? I have a couple different but similarspy cameras, with a 4gb micro sd card they get maybe a half hour of recording. Not near enough for that much memory.

Aryk45XD

imported post

It's recorded over an hour. The one time that the video would not play was the one time I've let it run out. Too soon to say if it was related, but I will find out. As I said though, it's really great for short trips and a simple push will put it on standby and record again. I just had about 12 vids and still lots of room.

midiwall

imported post

Aryk45XD wrote:
It's recorded over an hour. The one time that the video would not play was the one time I've let it run out. Too soon to say if it was related, but I will find out. As I said though, it's really great for short trips and a simple push will put it on standby and record again. I just had about 12 vids and still lots of room.
Thank you for the comments thus far! I have a couple of questions...
  • Does it create a separate AVI file each time you start recording?
  • Is there any sense of an onboard clock? i.e., what are the timestamps on the files?
  • When you plug into your computer, I figure that the device mounts as a drive. Are the files ready for playback or do they have to be processed in some way?
  • How clear is the audio?
I have a ton of file space online and I'd be happy to host video examples for you. Send me an email with a couple of files attached and I'll get them up and post a link here.

Here's an updated eBay search list:
http://bit.ly/a5mquG

Clicking BIN in 3... 2... 1...

Wheelgunner

imported post

I purchased one of these pin hole pen things and it sucked. It came with a virus in the memory, it worked as advertised about 3 times and then would lockup. I tried all the recommended fixes (read the reviews on DealExtreme). After a while locked up, the battery would go dead and recharging it would lock it up. The reset button became the most used button on the device.

Finally tossed it. A reliable voice recorder is more useful to me than 100 fancy gadgets that operate, maybe.

Kind of like my Guns.