• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

newbies got some questions

colin91

imported post

Im a resident of San Luis Obispo and just recently learned about UOC and have a few questions if you guys wouldn't mind answering a few.

I know to buy/own a handgun in CA you have to be 21 or older and i read the you have to be 18 or older to UOC. So myself being 18 could I OC a handgun registered and owned by my father? or do i have to wait till i turn 21 to buy my own hand gun and OC it?

Does anybody know the rules with state universities and OCing on campus(currently attending Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo)? or is it up to each individual university to decide? i know about not being allowed to carry in school zones but did not know if this applied to university campuses as well.

anyone else from San Luis Obispo out there that OCs or has attempted to OC. Is it just going to be a huge pain since the cops here have nothing better to do.

wewd

imported post

You may carry your father's handgun as long as you also possess a Handgun Safety Card which you can get at any gun shop for $25 (good for 5 years). Your father can also transfer the handgun to you at age 18 via the CA DOJ Intrafamiliar Transfer form which is sent to the state and costs $19. That is the only way someone 18-20 may own a handgun in CA (unless they brought it from another state when they moved here).

You can not UOC on a college or university campus, but you could UOC on the sidewalk across the street since the 1,000 foot zone only applies to K-12 schools. You can conceal carry on campus with a CA CCW permit, but you may face academic sanctions if you do so. Most/all schools in CA forbid this. The law exempts CCW holders from PC 626.9 but there is no affirmative right to carry on campus.

Edit: Yes I did. :D

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

A member by the name of Army lives in SLO and he carries pretty regularly. I can't recall a time the cops bothered him more than the 12031(e) check. He's a great guy.

ETA: Wewd meant to say PC 626.9

crash5150

imported post

My sheriff told me that with a CCW you can't carry on universities or state college campuses. I know that 626.9 has an exemption but in the exception code.. I haven't found the actual line where it says concealed weapon holders are exempt.. just people licensed to carry a firearm. So does that mean guard card/firearms card holders can also?

wewd

imported post

crash5150 wrote:
My sheriff told me that with a CCW you can't carry on universities or state college campuses. I know that 626.9 has an exemption but in the exception code.. I haven't found the actual line where it says concealed weapon holders are exempt.. just people licensed to carry a firearm. So does that mean guard card/firearms card holders can also?

Your Sheriff was incorrect. 626.9 explicitly states that 12050 CCW permit holders are exempt from the law. Please see section (l):

(l) This section does not apply to a duly appointed peace officer
as defined in Chapter 4.5 (commencing with Section 830) of Title 3 of
Part 2, a full-time paid peace officer of another state or the
federal government who is carrying out official duties while in
California, any person summoned by any of these officers to assist in
making arrests or preserving the peace while he or she is actually
engaged in assisting the officer, a member of the military forces of
this state or of the United States who is engaged in the performance
of his or her duties, a person holding a valid license to carry the
firearm pursuant to Article 3 (commencing with Section 12050) of
Chapter 1 of Title 2 of Part 4
, or an armored vehicle guard, engaged
in the performance of his or her duties, as defined in subdivision
(e) of Section 7521 of the Business and Professions Code.

However this section does not prevent a Sheriff from printing exceptions to where the permit holder may or may not carry on the permit itself. If your CCW permit says you can't carry at a school, then you cannot carry there. But note that it must be printed on the card itself, not on another sheet or even a verbal warning.

The federal GFSZ law also exempts permit holders, but that law is unenforceable anyway.

As for your question about security guards:

(m) This section does not apply to a security guard authorized to
carry a loaded firearm pursuant to Section 12031.

If you are a guard card w/ exposed firearm permit holder then you also know that those permits do not entitle you to carry your firearm anywhere you please. Some schools hire private armed security and they are exempt from the law while at their place of duty. If you're not a guard hired to work at a particular school, you can't carry there.

pullnshoot25

imported post

You may carry your father's handgun as long as you also possess a Handgun Safety Card which you can get at any gun shop for $25 (good for 5 years). Your father can also transfer the handgun to you at age 18 via the CA DOJ Intrafamiliar Transfer form which is sent to the state and costs $19. That is the only way someone 18-20 may own a handgun in CA (unless they brought it from another state when they moved here). You can not UOC on a college or university campus, but you could UOC on the sidewalk across the street since the 1,000 foot zone only applies to K-12 schools. You can conceal carry on campus with a CA CCW permit, but you may face academic sanctions if you do so. Most/all schools in CA forbid this. The law exempts CCW holders from PC 626.9 but there is no affirmative right to carry on campus. Edit: Yes I did. :D Last edited on Tue Feb 23rd, 2010 07:47 pm by wewd
Keep in mind that the sidewalks immediately adjacent to the school may be owned by the school (I've thought about it, trust me...).

Also, just a small correction- You are legally allowed to carry onto a college campus if you have a CCW permit and that permit does not have a restriction stating that you cannot carry on campus. Should you not have the permission to carry from the Chief of Police for that particular campus, then you may face academic sanctions.

crash5150 wrote:
Your sheriff is a willfully misinformed statist, as most sheriffs seem to be.