• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun ban at CU

cscitney87

imported post

You're right. Sheriff's comments were bold and clear- No matter the decision- carrying (concealed) will be a non issue on that campus. That's how I interpreted it, anyway. Funny later the article states it's legal for the campus to do so- The Sheriff basically declaring said law unconstitutional, null, and void? If you're going to take that "unconstitutional" road then I would hope Open Carry is just as well permitted as concealed. Right guys?

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

It is non-issue for those who are not employed by nor attending the college. My guess is that even if nobody gets arrested, the college will fire or expel employees and students who are caught carrying.

While I expect most of the well paid, tenured faculty don't want to carry anyway, it is the poor students, and low paid service employees (the guys working graveyard doing janitorial work) who are least able to fight the bully that is the college administration on these kinds of things.

I would hope Colorado gun owners would push the legislature, AG, or others as needed to require CU (and other taxpayer funded colleges) to fully respect the constitutional rights of their students and employees.

Charles

SDguy

imported post

Ya know, I just carry regardless of their regulations. I usually carry concealed and I don't go to bars or saloons and of course would not carry in a court house. However, other than that, I carry to my childrens school events or whatever and do so regardless of the law or policy.

I carry in church every Sunday too. I just don't flash my firearm around when attending an event where it is illegal. Where I live it is not a felony to carry in a prohibited place but I still don't make it known, except here that is.

Beau

imported post

What I can't get over is the fact that the student senate voted almost unanimously to keep policy the way it was and allow carry on campus. Then the board bans it anyway.

I guess I can understand the need to teach people early on that they do have a voice and a vote. It just won't be listened to or counted.

Right now a lot of people are speaking out against the government for not listening to the people. This just will not do for the future. We need to show them young that this is just how it is so that they do not fight in the future.

SDguy wrote:
Ya know, I just carry regardless of their regulations. I usually carry concealed and I don't go to bars or saloons and of course would not carry in a court house. However, other than that, I carry to my childrens school events or whatever and do so regardless of the law or policy.

I carry in church every Sunday too. I just don't flash my firearm around when attending an event where it is illegal. Where I live it is not a felony to carry in a prohibited place but I still don't make it known, except here that is.
Maybe it is just me but advocating breaking the law on a public forum may not be in your best interests.

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

utbagpiper wrote:
While I expect most of the well paid, tenured faculty don't want to carry anyway, it is the poor students, and low paid service employees (the guys working graveyard doing janitorial work) who are least able to fight the bully that is the college administration on these kinds of things.
Of course tenured faculty don't want to carry. I've known many, and most I've known are somewhat timid of society in general. They retreat into academia to escape that confrontation, and when it threatens them, being non-confrontationalists, they're not ones to defend themselves.

"You've been living in a dream world, Neo..."

Instead, they enact rules meant to protect their dream world, but hopelessly amiss as they don't actually live in a dream world, but the real world. We know their approach doesn't work, as we don't live in their dream world. But they don't know that. They're idealists, who're allowing their idealism to overpower statistically-based facts.

They can have the security they wish, but to do so, they have to rebuild those ivy walls, post guards and metal detectors at every entrance, motion sensors between the entrances, and search each and every book bag, pocketbook, underarm, waistband, hat, and boot of every entrant.

Then they'll be safe, right?

(rolls eyes)

No - that's the fantasy.

The reality is that we're never safe. At best, we can be as prepared as possible to defend ourselves against the threat.

Or not. Some of us choose to enact fantasy rules and live in a dreamworld, thereby actually increasing the danger from the threat both to themselves, as well as to the employees and students who'se job it is, in part, to protect.

Again: Why are these people in charge of an institution of higher learning? Did they all fail American and World History together?

Pat-inCO

imported post

You might want to correct your subject line.

It is CSU rather than CU.

CU has had a ban in effect for quite a while. It is CSU that just started the ban.

Pace

imported post

Let's attack them instead of educating them. You'd be amazed how much better it works.

since9 wrote:

Again: Why are these people in charge of an institution of higher learning? Did they all fail American and World History together?

mahkagari

imported post

From ConcealedCampus.com:

Larimer County Sheriff Jim Alderden and Dave Kopel with the Independent Institute will be debating Tom Mauser from Colorado Ceasefire on the topic of concealed carry on campus. It turns out that there will be no direct representation from our national organization. Richard Eykholt, chairman of CSU's faculty council, hasn't responded to my invitation to participate.

The debate is expected to last about an hour or two. We hope to see you there!

Date:

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Time:

6:00pm - 8:00pm

CSU, Clark A103