• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Disney World

eastmeyers

imported post

Howdy. I have duel state-ship in Michigan and Florida. I haven't been in Florida alot since getting my Michigan CPL (concealed pistol license). The in-laws are all going to Disney in June and I will probably be tagging along. I have read Florida 790.06, and can not find anything excluding theme park carry. Am I correct? And also, am I going to run into issues because I do not have my Florida CWLbut dohave a Florida State ID. I have a Michigan CPL and can carry in Florida with it, but just don't know if since I have a Florida ID I would also have to have my Florida CWL. Hope this makes sense.

God Bless.

Semper Fi

JeepSeller

imported post

Florida honors your Michigan CPL by recipricocity agreement, you're fine there. If you have a Michigan state DL or ID, I'd recommend you use that as Floirda does not honor any NON RESIDENT licenses from other states. In other words, so long as you are a resident of Michigan and can prove it, your CPL is honored here. But, if you are NOT a resident of MI, and hold a Michigan CPL, while it's valid in MI and other states perhaps, not here. Leave the FL ID at home, that's the kind of thing that could just confuse things and hold you up while folks get UN confused. :quirky

As far as Disney goes. It's long been decided by most that it's pretty much up to you. Disney property is private property and NOT prohibited by Florida Statute. Disney does have discreetly posted "no weapons" rules in different places. You almost have to look for it. But, in Florida a "No Guns" sign has no legal weight. Similar to the "no shoes, no shirt, no service" signs you'll see on business doors. You won't be arrested for ignoring that sign, but, you could be asked to leave.

As of last check, no metal detectors. Security will root around in your bags with a stick and send you on.

So, in the end, carry is up to you, but, make sure your conceal methods are solid. All those people stuffed into small lines, rides, etc, combined with all the moving, sitting, and shoving you'll be doing, you'd better have your conceal "A" game going.

In the end, are you breaking the law? Nope. Are you ignoring private property owner's wishes..yep. Choice is yours. I'm not going to tell you to break any rules, even if it's private property owner rules.

Rumor has it, though, that Disney will allow you to lock up your firearm in security if caught. But, I can't confirm that. Never been caught myself. :lol:

eastmeyers

imported post

Okay. Well now i'm just thinking about pocket carry. Either that or get a supertuck.

Thank you for your help, additonal responces never hurt...

God Bless

JeepSeller

imported post

Hopefully, some other folks in the know will chime in here and give you some confirmation.I'm fairly confident, but, I'm also not immune to being wrong. :lol:

You're smart tokeep checking and not take one guy's word for it.IMHO, that makes you awell ahead of the curve beyond many gun owners who don't check laws beforetraveling.

I got the information regarding Florida's honoring of your CPL here:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/florida.pdf

As I say, Disney doesn't exactly make their "No Weapons" policy plain as night. You actually have to search it out. I think some of the signs as you enter the parks have it, but, I honestly haven't looked in a long time, so, I don't recall. I just know I've seen it somewhere. It could be something do to with their resort hotels and their guidelines.

Again, as I say, based on what I know, it's really just a choice up to you. I'm pretty sure they're against Disney rules, but, it's not like you'll get a body cavity search on the way in. Last time I went (about 2 or 3 months ago) they just poked around in your bags with a stick and welcomed you to Disney. Sea World is the same confirmed as of last weekend (2-20-10), I was there. Just keep in mind that if you do carry in these parks, you are doing so against their policy. What you do with the above information is up to you. Again, it'd be in poor taste to tell you it's OK to carry there. Allanyone can really say is, make up your own mind.

If you do carry, again, bear in mind, it's a very crowded place with a lot of moving around you don't normally do. Some of those rides are rough and can dislodge your carry if you're not careful. A dislodged gun skittering across the pavement among all thosesheeple and their kidsprobably would give you some REAL stories to tell your friends when you get back to Michigan. :lol:

Igo off an own all the time, and, I don't feel unsafe there, I worked there for almost 10 years, so, I'm fairly familiar with the security measures they take internally. But, that was 20 years ago too. Threats are different today than then, so, I can't say you're safe, but, I doubt it's any more unsafe than anywhere else you go either.

Enjoy your trip and safe travels.

rmodel65

imported post

you can carry at disney...if caught you will be asked to leave but in Florida if you continue to stay and refuse its armed trespass and its a felony...so if you are spooted and asked to leave do so without fail as fast as possible

JeepSeller

imported post

I knew I had seen it somewhere before.

It's in the Diseny's FAQ.

I'm not posting this to tell you NOT to carry there. You asked a question, I'm just making sure I help you make an INFORMED decison, the halmark ofa GOOD armed citizen.

Many on the Florida based forums carry there all the time. Many don't. Again, it appears to be your choice to ignore Disney policy or not. Make your own choice, and enjoy yourself. If you don't, you're probably safe without it, if you do, keep it concealed, and no one will ever know but you.

Insider's tip: If you've got little ones going with you, a fun game to play that keeps them occupied and focused most the day is "find the hidden Mickey's". Disney Imangineers, from the beginning, have hidden little Mickey Mouse heads throughout all of Disney property. There are thousands of them. You'll find them hidden in tile walls, brick streets, even glass windows. In fact, there is no documentation on how many there are. I haven't ridden Space Mountain since they renewed it recently, but, they used to project images of astroids, meteors, and comets on the roof of the waiting line areas, there was one comet shaped like the mouse kids loved to watch for. (again, keeps em focused on something and less apt to wander, fight, argue..etc. ) Plus, it's a welcomed distraction for tired, cranky, adults waiting in line hours on end to engage in a little "mickey" scavenger hunt as well. Supposedly, no matter where you're standing, you should be able to see at least one.

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/theme-parks/#subCategory8

Are there any personal items I should not bring with me into the theme parks?

Items that you may not bring into the theme parks include but are not limited to:

• Items with wheels, such as:
    • Wagons
    • Skateboards
    • Scooters
    • Inline skates
    • Shoes with built-in wheels
    • Strollers larger than 36" x 52" (92 x 132 cm)
    • Suitcases, coolers or backpacks with or without wheels larger than 24" (61 cm) long x 15" (38 cm) wide x 18" (46 cm) high. (Coolers required for medication may be stored in a locker or at Guest Relations.)
    • Any trailer-like object that is pushed or towed by an ECV wheelchair or stroller
  • Alcoholic beverages
  • Weapons of any kind
  • Folding chairs
  • Glass containers (excluding baby food jars and perfume bottles)
  • Pets (unless they are service animals)
In Disney's Animal Kingdom theme Park (for the safety of the wildlife), balloons, straws and drink lids are not permitted.

eastmeyers

imported post

Again thanks for your help!

I think I have decieded on simple pocket carry than. No full size 45acp for a week or so I guess. I will feel NAKED! Ahhhh! Oh well, .22 and a pocket knife will have to do.

God Bless

sprat

imported post

I carry in Disney unlessI am going on a wild? ride otherwise I use a holster with a retension strap, I don't use fanny pack because they do inspect them

enjoy& stay safe

sprat