Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: CPL for national park carry?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Port Orchard, Washington, USA
    Posts
    100

    Post imported post

    I was watching fox news on channel 13. The blotter at the bottom of the screen was talking about our right to carry in nat. parks. It said we were REQUIRED to have a CPL to do this. That makes me wonder if we have to CC in the parks? Have any of you heard this or are they blowing smoke out their a$$

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    N47 12 x W122 10
    Posts
    1,762

    Post imported post

    http://www.q13fox.com/news/kcpq-guns...,3905520.story

    Obviously it's going to be a learning curve.

    Even if Washington wasn't an unlicensed OC state, that article is just wrong.

  3. #3
    Regular Member acmariner99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Renton, Wa
    Posts
    662

    Post imported post

    NO NO NO NO!! State law applies in national parks. That means in Washington state you can OC without a permit or CC with a WA CPL. Just don't go into any visitors centers carrying. Same would go here in Arizona. Carrying in NP are now subject to the laws of the State in which that park is located.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    N47 12 x W122 10
    Posts
    1,762

    Post imported post


  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    694

    Post imported post

    When you see, hear or read something that confuses you or believe is wrong "Consider the Source". The news media is almost always wrong, usually deliberately.
    The new law lets you carry in the nat. parks exactly the same as outside the parks.
    Here in Wa. that means either OC or CC if you have a CPL, your choice.
    Perhaps if you would use a real computer you wouldn't have to apologize for not being able to do so many things on the internet!

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Port Orchard, Washington, USA
    Posts
    100

    Post imported post

    So i also hear that its illegal to fire in the parks. Does that include SD scenarios? Or do we stay within state laws regarding this?

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    N47 12 x W122 10
    Posts
    1,762

    Post imported post

    Does that include SD scenarios?
    Yes. It is illegal to defend yourself with gunfire in a National Park. Your corpse will be prosecuted.

  8. #8
    Regular Member acmariner99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Renton, Wa
    Posts
    662

    Post imported post

    As far as I know, everything about the new law revolves around the laws of the state. So if you have a valid SD scenario as defined in WA law, you are justified in firing. Same would go for wildlife if and only if you were in imminent danger of bodily harm.

  9. #9
    Campaign Veteran gogodawgs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Federal Way, Washington, USA
    Posts
    5,666

    Post imported post

    Nathan9493 wrote:
    I was watching fox news on channel 13. The blotter at the bottom of the screen was talking about our right to carry in nat. parks. It said we were REQUIRED to have a CPL to do this. That makes me wonder if we have to CC in the parks? Have any of you heard this or are they blowing smoke out their a$$
    I don't know how hard it is to go to the park website and find the info....here it is for Rainier....

    http://www.nps.gov/mora/parkmgmt/upl...PublicFAQs.pdf
    Live Free or Die!

  10. #10
    Regular Member FMCDH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    2,043

    Post imported post

    gogodawgs wrote:
    Nathan9493 wrote:
    I was watching fox news on channel 13. The blotter at the bottom of the screen was talking about our right to carry in nat. parks. It said we were REQUIRED to have a CPL to do this. That makes me wonder if we have to CC in the parks? Have any of you heard this or are they blowing smoke out their a$$
    I don't know how hard it is to go to the park website and find the info....here it is for Rainier....

    http://www.nps.gov/mora/parkmgmt/upl...PublicFAQs.pdf
    Thanks for the link, I'm passing this info along to my unit.

  11. #11
    Lone Star Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Seattle-ish, Washington, USA
    Posts
    714

    Post imported post

    deanf wrote:
    Does that include SD scenarios?
    Yes. It is illegal to defend yourself with gunfire in a National Park. Your corpse will be prosecuted.
    Too funny.

  12. #12
    State Researcher Bill Starks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Nortonville, KY, USA
    Posts
    4,291

    Post imported post

    acmariner99 wrote:
    NO NO NO NO!! State law applies in national parks. That means in Washington state you can OC without a permit or CC with a WA CPL.
    Here in Washington one does not need a CPL to conceal carry in the parks....

    RCW 9.41.060 section 8 reads....
    (8) Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area;

  13. #13
    Regular Member acmariner99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Renton, Wa
    Posts
    662

    Post imported post

    M1Gunr wrote:
    acmariner99 wrote:
    NO NO NO NO!! State law applies in national parks. That means in Washington state you can OC without a permit or CC with a WA CPL.
    Here in Washington one does not need a CPL to conceal carry in the parks....

    RCW 9.41.060 section 8 reads....
    (8) Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area;
    Good catch, thank you -- still learning the finer points of the system

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Port Orchard, Washington, USA
    Posts
    100

    Post imported post

    If we could only harness the power of all these brilliant minds into one legal entity, we'd be unstoppable!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •