Thread: CPL for national park carry?

Post imported post

I was watching fox news on channel 13. The blotter at the bottom of the screen was talking about our right to carry in nat. parks. It said we were REQUIRED to have a CPL to do this. That makes me wonder if we have to CC in the parks? Have any of you heard this or are they blowing smoke out their a$$

Post imported post

http://www.q13fox.com/news/kcpq-guns...,3905520.story

Obviously it's going to be a learning curve.

Even if Washington wasn't an unlicensed OC state, that article is just wrong.

Post imported post

NO NO NO NO!! State law applies in national parks. That means in Washington state you can OC without a permit or CC with a WA CPL. Just don't go into any visitors centers carrying. Same would go here in Arizona. Carrying in NP are now subject to the laws of the State in which that park is located.

Post imported post

Post imported post

When you see, hear or read something that confuses you or believe is wrong "Consider the Source". The news media is almost always wrong, usually deliberately.
    The new law lets you carry in the nat. parks exactly the same as outside the parks.
    Here in Wa. that means either OC or CC if you have a CPL, your choice.
    Perhaps if you would use a real computer you wouldn't have to apologize for not being able to do so many things on the internet!

Post imported post

So i also hear that its illegal to fire in the parks. Does that include SD scenarios? Or do we stay within state laws regarding this?

Post imported post

Does that include SD scenarios?
    Yes. It is illegal to defend yourself with gunfire in a National Park. Your corpse will be prosecuted.

Post imported post

As far as I know, everything about the new law revolves around the laws of the state. So if you have a valid SD scenario as defined in WA law, you are justified in firing. Same would go for wildlife if and only if you were in imminent danger of bodily harm.

Post imported post

Nathan9493 wrote:
    I was watching fox news on channel 13. The blotter at the bottom of the screen was talking about our right to carry in nat. parks. It said we were REQUIRED to have a CPL to do this. That makes me wonder if we have to CC in the parks? Have any of you heard this or are they blowing smoke out their a$$
    I don't know how hard it is to go to the park website and find the info....here it is for Rainier....

http://www.nps.gov/mora/parkmgmt/upl...PublicFAQs.pdf
    Live Free or Die!

Post imported post

gogodawgs wrote:
    Nathan9493 wrote:
    I don't know how hard it is to go to the park website and find the info....here it is for Rainier....

http://www.nps.gov/mora/parkmgmt/upl...PublicFAQs.pdf
    Thanks for the link, I'm passing this info along to my unit.

Lone Star Veteran

Post imported post

deanf wrote:
    Does that include SD scenarios?
    Yes. It is illegal to defend yourself with gunfire in a National Park. Your corpse will be prosecuted.
    Too funny.

Post imported post

acmariner99 wrote:
    NO NO NO NO!! State law applies in national parks. That means in Washington state you can OC without a permit or CC with a WA CPL.
    Here in Washington one does not need a CPL to conceal carry in the parks....

RCW 9.41.060 section 8 reads....
    (8) Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area;

Post imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
    acmariner99 wrote:
    NO NO NO NO!! State law applies in national parks. That means in Washington state you can OC without a permit or CC with a WA CPL.
    Here in Washington one does not need a CPL to conceal carry in the parks....

RCW 9.41.060 section 8 reads....
    (8) Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area;
    Good catch, thank you -- still learning the finer points of the system

Post imported post

If we could only harness the power of all these brilliant minds into one legal entity, we'd be unstoppable!