• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CPL for national park carry?

Nathan9493

imported post

I was watching fox news on channel 13. The blotter at the bottom of the screen was talking about our right to carry in nat. parks. It said we were REQUIRED to have a CPL to do this. That makes me wonder if we have to CC in the parks? Have any of you heard this or are they blowing smoke out their a$$:question:

acmariner99

imported post

NO NO NO NO!! State law applies in national parks. That means in Washington state you can OC without a permit or CC with a WA CPL. Just don't go into any visitors centers carrying. Same would go here in Arizona. Carrying in NP are now subject to the laws of the State in which that park is located.

jeeper1

imported post

When you see, hear or read something that confuses you or believe is wrong "Consider the Source". The news media is almost always wrong, usually deliberately.
The new law lets you carry in the nat. parks exactly the same as outside the parks.
Here in Wa. that means either OC or CC if you have a CPL, your choice.

acmariner99

imported post

As far as I know, everything about the new law revolves around the laws of the state. So if you have a valid SD scenario as defined in WA law, you are justified in firing. Same would go for wildlife if and only if you were in imminent danger of bodily harm.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Nathan9493 wrote:
I was watching fox news on channel 13. The blotter at the bottom of the screen was talking about our right to carry in nat. parks. It said we were REQUIRED to have a CPL to do this. That makes me wonder if we have to CC in the parks? Have any of you heard this or are they blowing smoke out their a$$:question:

I don't know how hard it is to go to the park website and find the info....here it is for Rainier....

http://www.nps.gov/mora/parkmgmt/upload/FirearmsPublicFAQs.pdf

FMCDH

imported post

gogodawgs wrote:
Nathan9493 wrote:

I don't know how hard it is to go to the park website and find the info....here it is for Rainier....

http://www.nps.gov/mora/parkmgmt/upload/FirearmsPublicFAQs.pdf
Thanks for the link, I'm passing this info along to my unit.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

acmariner99 wrote:
NO NO NO NO!! State law applies in national parks. That means in Washington state you can OC without a permit or CC with a WA CPL.
Here in Washington one does not need a CPL to conceal carry in the parks....

RCW 9.41.060 section 8 reads....
(8) Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area;

acmariner99

imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
acmariner99 wrote:
NO NO NO NO!! State law applies in national parks. That means in Washington state you can OC without a permit or CC with a WA CPL.
Here in Washington one does not need a CPL to conceal carry in the parks....

RCW 9.41.060 section 8 reads....
(8) Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area;
Good catch, thank you -- still learning the finer points of the system