Thread: Open Carry - Legal if loaded?

Post imported post

Hello everyone.

I live in CA and the law is very clear that I cannot open carry unless my firearm is unloaded. I do not see this level of detail for the state of South Dakota (where I will be living for about a year).

Can anyone fill me in on this or point me in the direction of where I can find the definition of 'open carry' from state to state?

Thanks!

Lone Star Veteran

Post imported post

Mr Good Time wrote:
    Hello everyone.

I live in CA and the law is very clear that I cannot open carry unless my firearm is unloaded. I do not see this level of detail for the state of South Dakota (where I will be living for about a year).

Can anyone fill me in on this or point me in the direction of where I can find the definition of 'open carry' from state to state?

Thanks!

I don't know if you have been to the main site at opencarry.org, but there is an open carry map at the following address:

http://opencarry.org/opencarry.html

and here is the information you requested specific to South Dakota (retrieved by clicking on South Dakota in the aforementioned map):

http://opencarry.org/sd.html

Post imported post

Likediesel556 said opencarry.org has a good map. You can also find one similar at handgunlaw.us. We here in Virginia enjoy great 2A freedoms.

Post imported post

Mr Good Time wrote:
    Hello everyone.

Post imported post

Loaded open carry is legal in South Dakota. SD has a few quirky rules about WHERE one can carry, unlike Wyoming, but it is pretty OC friendly. Just be sure to look for signs prohibiting guns, and respect private property rights if they ask you to leave. I've not had those problems, but understand they are more common east of Rapid City.
    I will not knowingly initiate force. I am a self owner.

Let the record show that I did not consent to be governed. I did not consent to any constitution. I did not consent to any president. I did not consent to any law except the natural law of "mala en se." I did not consent to the police. Nor any tax. Nor any prohibition of anything. Nor any regulation or licensing of any kind.

Post imported post

It just makes no sense to me why one would even consider carrying an unloaded weapon. Might as well be carrying a lead weight.

Post imported post

OCinColorado wrote:
    It just makes no sense to me why one would even consider carrying an unloaded weapon. Might as well be carrying a lead weight.
    Obviously. :P I think that's the point. Those who pass such laws don't want you to carry at all, and will make it as stupid and difficult as possible.

It's not about safety, efficiency or self defense... it's about power and who has it.
    I will not knowingly initiate force. I am a self owner.

Let the record show that I did not consent to be governed. I did not consent to any constitution. I did not consent to any president. I did not consent to any law except the natural law of "mala en se." I did not consent to the police. Nor any tax. Nor any prohibition of anything. Nor any regulation or licensing of any kind.