• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry - Legal if loaded?

Mr Good Time

imported post

Hello everyone.

I live in CA and the law is very clear that I cannot open carry unless my firearm is unloaded. I do not see this level of detail for the state of South Dakota (where I will be living for about a year).

Can anyone fill me in on this or point me in the direction of where I can find the definition of 'open carry' from state to state?

Thanks!

diesel556

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Mr Good Time wrote:
Hello everyone.

I live in CA and the law is very clear that I cannot open carry unless my firearm is unloaded. I do not see this level of detail for the state of South Dakota (where I will be living for about a year).

Can anyone fill me in on this or point me in the direction of where I can find the definition of 'open carry' from state to state?

Thanks!
I don't know if you have been to the main site at opencarry.org, but there is an open carry map at the following address:

http://opencarry.org/opencarry.html

and here is the information you requested specific to South Dakota (retrieved by clicking on South Dakota in the aforementioned map):

http://opencarry.org/sd.html

cruzn82

imported post

Likediesel556 said opencarry.org has a good map. You can also find one similar at handgunlaw.us. We here in Virginia enjoy great 2A freedoms.

MamaLiberty

imported post

Loaded open carry is legal in South Dakota. SD has a few quirky rules about WHERE one can carry, unlike Wyoming, but it is pretty OC friendly. Just be sure to look for signs prohibiting guns, and respect private property rights if they ask you to leave. I've not had those problems, but understand they are more common east of Rapid City.

MamaLiberty

imported post

OCinColorado wrote:
It just makes no sense to me why one would even consider carrying an unloaded weapon. Might as well be carrying a lead weight.
Obviously. :p I think that's the point. Those who pass such laws don't want you to carry at all, and will make it as stupid and difficult as possible.

It's not about safety, efficiency or self defense... it's about power and who has it.