• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry - Legal if loaded?

Mr Good Time

imported post

Hello everyone.

I live in CA. and the law is very clear that I cannot open carry if my firearm is loaded. It must be unloaded at all times, this mean ammunition on my hip.

Is this the same in South Dakota or can I open carry with a loaded firearm?

Thanks.

SDguy

imported post

Here in South Dakota you may openly carry a loaded firarm and no permit is necessary.

You may carry concealed if you obtain a permit which must be issued to you if you are at least 18 and have no felonies against you and have not been convicted of abuse nor are you being treated for a mental disorder.

I got my permit in 15 minutes from my local sheriff's office. I believe the fee was fifteen dollars.

We don't seem to have much of a violent crime problem here. I wonder why? :) Perhaps it may be because the bad element understands that we shoot back?

aadvark

imported post

The REAL America starts when you get out of California and The North-East!

However, Unloaded Open Carry is a reality in South Dakota's Northern neighbor, North Dakota.

XDSTEEL

imported post

SDguyDon't forget the applicant needs a valid South Dakota ID card or Drivers license

M1911a1lvr

imported post

aadvark wrote:
The REAL America starts when you get out of California and The North-East!

However, Unloaded Open Carry is a reality in South Dakota's Northern neighbor, North Dakota.

Ah you are correct about one thing, The real USA does start when you leave California, but it stops again at New York. Then continues on in Vermont and new Hampshire, then stops at Maine. If you head south from Vermont it stops at the PRM and continues on to the partially liberated State of Connecticut. Not all of the North East is screwed up like California. Only Maine and Massachusetts is for the NE. BTW way the best states to live in if you are a gundamentalist is VT, AK and now AZ.

XDSTEEL

imported post

How about banks? i hear about other people in other states OCing in banks but i do not know about SD?