• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pending Legislation That may be of interest

JT

imported post

Title:AN ACT TO PROVIDE THAT IT SHALL BE LEGAL TO VIDEOTAPE, FILM OR RECORD A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER, FIREFIGHTER OR CONSERVATION OFFICER IN THE PERFORMANCE OF THEIR DUTIES; AND FOR RELATED PURPOSES.

http://billstatus.ls.state.ms.us/2010/pdf/history/HB/HB0539.xml

Title:AN ACT TO AMEND SECTION 27-65-111, MISSISSIPPI CODE OF 1972, TO EXEMPT FROM SALES TAXATION RETAIL SALES OF FIREARMS, AMMUNITION AND HUNTING SUPPLIES WHEN SOLD DURING THE ANNUAL MISSISSIPPI SECOND AMENDMENT WEEKEND HOLIDAY BEGINNING AT 12:01 A.M. ON THE FIRST FRIDAY IN SEPTEMBER AND ENDING AT 12:00 MIDNIGHT ON THE FOLLOWING SUNDAY; AND FOR RELATED PURPOSES.

http://billstatus.ls.state.ms.us/2010/pdf/history/HB/HB0242.xml

Title:AN ACT TO AMEND SECTION 27-65-111, MISSISSIPPI CODE OF 1972, TO EXEMPT FROM SALES TAXATION RETAIL SALES OF FIREARMS, AMMUNITION AND HUNTING SUPPLIES WHEN SOLD DURING THE ANNUAL MISSISSIPPI SECOND AMENDMENT WEEKEND HOLIDAY BEGINNING AT 12:01 A.M. ON THE FIRST FRIDAY IN SEPTEMBER AND ENDING AT 12:00 MIDNIGHT ON THE FOLLOWING SUNDAY; AND FOR RELATED PURPOSES.

http://billstatus.ls.state.ms.us/2010/pdf/history/HB/HB0396.xml

The 2nd and 3rd Measures have some different wording.

JT

imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
Stupid question: does MS have a "law" prohibiting the filming or recording of LEO's, etc?

There is no law prohibiting citizens from recording LEO's in the performance of their duties but there have been instances where people have been arrested due to ill-informed LEO's or local ordinances/policies. The bill preempts local governments from prohibiting the recording of LEO's.

http://www.sunherald.com/2010/02/04/v-print/1924336/bill-would-clarify-citizens-right.html

imported post

a local government cannot pass legislation overriding a right.
Seems to me, we the people have the right to record/video our paid, public servants doing "their job."
I'd love to sit in a courtroom and watch as a black-robed whore announces we DON'T have such a right.

JT

imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
a local government cannot pass legislation overriding a right.
Seems to me, we the people have the right to record/video our paid, public servants doing "their job."
I'd love to sit in a courtroom and watch as a black-robed whore announces we DON'T have such a right.
Agreed but here is the rational of the author of the bill.
Rep. Bob Evans, D-Monticello, is an attorney who said he has represented a few clients arrested for filming officers. One was charged with refusal to comply with a law officer when he was told to stop videotaping, but Evans said the person had to go to court to be acquitted. He authored House Bill 539, which would make it clear such action doesn’t violate the law.

“Although I know it is not illegal under present Mississippi law, there is an impression out there in some circles of law enforcement that in fact it is illegal and they will enforce the law,” Evans said. “I decided I needed to have that codified.”

imported post

I fully understand the logic behind this bill.
Matter of fact, I'll make a few calls, try to get some support.
If, not when, the next bozo LEO pulls this crap, he can't say much, as ignorance of the law is no excuse, ensuring an even healthier federal civil rights lawsuit payout.
Hit 'em, hit 'em hard, hit 'em often, till the taxpayers finally have enough.