• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Larimer County, CO Sheriff James Alderden declares war on CSU gun ban - hit poll!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

The Sheriff is just noting the relaity that violating a college gun ban is not a crime in Colorado or most states - hence, no lawul arrest or gun seiziure can be executed by campus authorioties against students, staff, for mere lawful gun carry.

http://www.gazette.com/opinion/state-94668-gun-ban.html

SNIP

“I have told the CSU police chief I will not support this in any way,” Sheriff Alderden told The Gazette. “If anyone with one of my permits gets arrested for concealed carry at CSU, I will refuse to book that person into my jail. Furthermore, I will show up at court and testify on that person’s behalf, and I will do whatever I can to discourage a conviction. I will not be a party to this very poor decision.”

--

And vote in this poll:

[align=center]

College gun ban

Should Colorado State students ignore the new weapons ban, as one sheriff suggests?

Yes, they should ignore the ban

No, they should obey the campus rules

I don't know

I don't care
[/align]

SDguy

imported post

Yes, they should ignore the gun ban and by the dozens, hopefully hundrends. Then let's see how the administration reacts when they are faced with layoffs due to the suspension of so many students.

My state allows carry on college campus'. However, the college threatens students with suspension if they do. My adult children carry concealed on campus anyway.

Pace

imported post

Interesting indeed, and I think if the local sheriff says the law is invalid, then there are is a definable defense.

Mike wrote:
The Sheriff is just noting the relaity that violating a college gun ban is not a crime in Colorado or most states - hence, no lawul arrest or gun seiziure can be executed by campus authorioties against students, staff, for mere lawful gun carry.

http://www.gazette.com/opinion/state-94668-gun-ban.html

SNIP

“I have told the CSU police chief I will not support this in any way,” Sheriff Alderden told The Gazette. “If anyone with one of my permits gets arrested for concealed carry at CSU, I will refuse to book that person into my jail. Furthermore, I will show up at court and testify on that person’s behalf, and I will do whatever I can to discourage a conviction. I will not be a party to this very poor decision.”

--

And vote in this poll:

[align=center]

College gun ban

Should Colorado State students ignore the new weapons ban, as one sheriff suggests?

Yes, they should ignore the ban

No, they should obey the campus rules

I don't know

I don't care
[/align]

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Pace wrote:
Interesting indeed, and I think if the local sheriff says the law is invalid, then there are is a definable defense.
That's not what he said - my point is that there is no "law" making it a crime to carry guns on CSU cmapus, openly or concealed with permit - just a college rule like no chewing gum in class.

Pace

imported post

Well, even better :)

Mike wrote:
Pace wrote:
That's not what he said - my point is that there is no "law" making it a crime to carry guns on CSU cmapus, openly or concealed with permit - just a college rule like no chewing gum in class.

Beau

imported post

Mike wrote:
Pace wrote:

Just a rule, yes. But his rule can involve expulsion. Also, ifa student iscaught carrying and asked to leave the campusthey can be charged with trespass ifthey refuse.

I don't think there was ever any question of arresting someone for carrying. The sheriff is stating the obvious. He can not arrest someone for the act of carrying. But I think he would have no choice but to charge someone with trespass who refuses to leave the campus.

What it comes down to is this. How many students are going to risk expulsion by carrying a firearm on campus? I'm sure there will be a few but as a whole most students will not be willing to take that risk.

Article1section23

imported post

College gun ban

Yes, they should ignore the ban - 85%

No, they should obey the campus rules - 14%

I don't know - 0%

I don't care - 0%

Total Votes: 755

dfox

imported post

Beau wrote:
Mike wrote:
Pace wrote:

Just a rule, yes. But his rule can involve expulsion. Also, ifa student iscaught carrying and asked to leave the campusthey can be charged with trespass ifthey refuse.

I don't think there was ever any question of arresting someone for carrying. The sheriff is stating the obvious. He can not arrest someone for the act of carrying. But I think he would have no choice but to charge someone with trespass who refuses to leave the campus.

What it comes down to is this. How many students are going to risk expulsion by carrying a firearm on campus? I'm sure there will be a few but as a whole most students will not be willing to take that risk.

How can they be charged with trespassing if they

1. Pay to go to the school

2. Have classes scheduled at the school

How could a trespass charge stick.

Just like to know.

Pace

imported post

Correct, they can not charge them with tresspass. Additionally CSU is an OPEN CAMPUS, which means any member of the public can go on there legally. I believe that all public colleges are open campuses in Colorado, as they are in most of the nation where Public Colleges are considered Public Property.

dfox wrote:
Beau wrote:
Mike wrote:
Pace wrote:

Just like to know.

Beau

imported post

dfox wrote:

Just like to know.

When a student enrolls into a school they agree to comply to the policies set forth by the school. If a student refuses to abide by set policies then they are subject to diciplinary actions.

Colleges are private institutions. Just because you pay them money doesn't mean they can't tell you to leave.

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

The good Sheriff could refuse to arrest for a trumped up trespassing charge just as easily as he could refuse to lend any help enforcing the gun ban itself.

That said, the REAL threat to students is expulsion. To employees, it is being fired. Nothing the sheriff can do about that.

And students can be expelled and employees fired for all kinds of reasons that have nothing to do with violating any law.

Concealed carry reduces, but does not eliminate the risk of getting caught. And it might be a good idea for some students regardless. But it no more solves the problem of wrong headed and bigoted policies be perpetuated using taxpayer money. Many a fair-skinned black man "passed" for white back in the bad old days of segregation. That they could do so was a personal advantage, but hardly a solution to the injustice of Jim Crow laws.

The real solution is to either force a change in policy either by appealing to the college itself, or going over their head to the legislature or courts, OR to organize widespread enough "civil disobedience" that they can't enforce the policy. I am loathe to encourage deliberate violation of the policy. That can get messy and dangerous in a hurry, and that is before you consider the presence of guns. But neither could I condemn anyone who decided it was the best course and managed to pull it off well.

Charles

dfox

imported post

Beau wrote:
dfox wrote:

Just like to know.

When a student enrolls into a school they agree to comply to the policies set forth by the school. If a student refuses to abide by set policies then they are subject to diciplinary actions.

Colleges are private institutions. Just because you pay them money doesn't mean they can't tell you to leave.
True, but they can not be charged with trespassing is all i'm saying.

Pace

imported post

Huh? What? Public Colleges are PUBLIC INSTITUTIONS that receive public money. They are not private institutions at all. They are federally and state funded, and act as a public entity. Private Colleges can act different, but not a public college.

Obviously what needs to be done is a law protecting the rights of gun owners on all public spaces.

The policies set that you agree to, can not be in conflict with state law or civil rights. That is the issue, period.

Beau

imported post

Pace wrote:

Huh? What? Public Colleges are PUBLIC INSTITUTIONS that receive public money. They are not private institutions at all. They are federally and state funded, and act as a public entity. Private Colleges can act different, but not a public college.

Obviously what needs to be done is a law protecting the rights of gun owners on all public spaces.

The policies set that you agree to, can not be in conflict with state law or civil rights. That is the issue, period.

They are not owned by the city or the state. They can receive every cent they get, outside of tuition, from federal, state or city funding. That does not make them a public institution.

Hospitals also receive a lot of their money from the government. Yet they are still, at least for now, private institutions.

Back to the trespass charge. It does not matter if you are a student, teacher or visitor. If you are on school property and are asked to leave you can be charged with trespass if you refuse.

IANAL.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Beau wrote:
They are not owned by the city or the state. They can receive every cent they get, outside of tuition, from federal, state or city funding. That does not make them a public institution.
State colleges and universities are indeed state agencies, subject to limited pweres via their statutory grant of power and required to respect constitutional rights; private colleges and universityes are not.

Pace

imported post

BEAU: YOU ARE COMPLETELY INCORRECT IN EVERYTHING THAT YOU SAID. Mike is 100% correct.

Colorado State University (CSU) is a public institution of higher learning.
I will briefly explain what that means. Among other things, it was created by an act of the State of Colorado. This this case, CSU was created by an act of the Governor in the late 1800's. A public college is an extension of the government and run completely by the government. A private college is run by a corporation, sometimes profit, sometimes non-profit.

Next: Hospitals. Also incorrect
. There are public hospitals, owned by the State of Colorado, the City of Denver (and other jurisdictions) and there are private hospitals, owned by corporations. The public hospitals are owned by the government, 100% and run by the government. In fact, most hospitals in this country, and some of the best, are government run by local authorities. The only federal hospital systems that I know of are the Military and the Veterans Hospital.

As for Public Colleges, depending on the State, there are open campuses and closes campuses. Most States require that the campuses be OPEN, meaning that anyone can enjoy the campus, the facilities and walk on the campus without a reason, since it is public land. A few places, such as NYC allow their publicly funded colleges to be CLOSED campuses.

LAst of all, you said "owned by the city or the state". The City or the State does not own any department, division, hospital, college, police department, building. They use those properties to engage in their business, services, but the PEOPLE of that STATE, own it. In this case, CSU is owned by the Citizens of Colorado, who have a right to say how they want it governed.

CSU is a PUBLIC COLLEGE, period.

My sources: Myself, many years in Law Enforcement, Civil Rights. My father, who was a President of Public College for many years and was nice enough to tell me about closed vs. open colleges, and Wikipedia to confirm that CSU was indeed a public college.

Beau wrote:

Hospitals also receive a lot of their money from the government. Yet they are still, at least for now, private institutions.

Back to the trespass charge. It does not matter if you are a student, teacher or visitor. If you are on school property and are asked to leave you can be charged with trespass if you refuse.

IANAL.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Would ave been better if he stated "And I will arrest for false imprisonment
the crooks who brings in the innocent gun owner for carrying."

Could Arizona Sheriff Joe Arpaio be catching on with law enforcement?
I hope so.

As for the hospital example, the Jefferson County AL commission closed
the cancer ward so they could have a photo op of sick patients being
denied treatment. If they didn't 'own' it, they could not have done this.
The hospital has it's own funding source, and money, but they still forced them
to lock the doors to gain sympathy from the sheep to have their taxes raised.
I think the greatest example of government run health care quotes was the
response to nurses who said fine we will work off the clock and treat our patients,
were then told, "No, you work for us and will not show up for work" by the elected
officials.

Now if you are a resident student, and paid your housing, I don't see how they can
change the rules after the fact and tell you you can't carry now.
Besides anyone who would trust the campus police with their safety, when they
themselves are just as likely to be the problem is to stupid to attend college.
Now if Colorado would just pass a law that guns bought / made on campus are
exempt from stupid gun laws while on campus. :idea:
I could live with a university seal on the hand grip of a state sponsored Desert Eagle.
You could always resell it to an incoming freshmen who is to young to buy from ffl
when you graduate.