• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

National OCDO meet

Superlite27

imported post

Has there ever been a nation wide get together?

Are there any plans in the works to have a huge 2010 picnic/Bar-b-que somewhere in the middle of the country so that we can all have a chance to get together?

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Superlite27 wrote:

That's a great idea. It would be a very positive event and could garner much, much favorable press.

There has never been one. But it would be a very productive endeavor. The OC movement is definitely getting to the stage where your idea could take it to the next level of awareness.

As a related matter, throughout the last 3 years, afew individuals have suggested a National OC Day. This could also be a very positive event which could get some good press. The suggesters have been beaten down with a stick. No one wants to do it. Kind of strange, actually.

Tomahawk

imported post

HankT wrote:
Superlite27 wrote:

That's a great idea. It would be a very positive event and could garner much, much favorable press.

There has never been one. But it would be a very productive endeavor. The OC movement is definitely getting to the stage where your idea could take it to the next level of awareness.

As a related matter, throughout the last 3 years, afew individuals have suggested a National OC Day. This could also be a very positive event which could get some good press. The suggesters have been beaten down with a stick. No one wants to do it. Kind of strange, actually.
Will you be at the meet, Hank?

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
HankT wrote:
Superlite27 wrote:

Will you be at the meet, Hank?
Sure. Would be glad to attend, schedule permitting.

Do you think that a National OC Day is a good idea, Thawk? Or a National OCDO meet?

DEFENSOR

imported post

Definitely,

I think that this is a great idea. I am sure that the scale of it would create difficulties prompting some to suggest individual state meetings. This would exclude all of the red statesBut even if it were only for the sake ofone state I think that national is the way to go.

Got friends in Colorado and family in Kansas, they get myvote. Though I would just about walk from Ca. to attend. The four big central states are all workable,Neb. Co. Ks. Mo.Even SD. even though it is a little north it is less restrictive. Can't wait toread the feedback on this one. Can anyone from these five states chime in on bringing us all to one of your states. Enough time between now and summer to make plans?

Sincerely, Defensor

sudden valley gunner

imported post

SsevenN wrote:
The "National OC day" idea seems more plausible. Not to mention it couldbe annual, deliver steady press and support...
Do both.
I would attend if I have finances and time. Being self employed in a very hard hit industry I have the time, it would be the financial aspect.

Dreamer

imported post

Although I like the idea of a National OC get-together, I'm a grad student, so my budget is sort of tight, and my travel time is limited...

I think a National OC Day is much more plausible. But to make it work and be recognized as a "National Event", people would need to wear buttons or t-shirts or somthing, or ele it would be just another day of people OCing...

I think if everyone got some of VCDL's "Guns Save Lives" stickers or buttons, and would wear them on a specified day, it would make more of a splash.

Perhaps we could focus in the "venue" for such a national event. How about a National OC in National Parks" day? If on some Saturday this summer, there were thousands of OCers visiting National Parks as part of the summer vacation or recreation with their families, THAT might get a lot more attention, because the OCers would be more concentrated, and the NPS issue is still fresh in people's minds.

Look at all the traction that SCCC gets in the media every April for their Empty Holster on College Campus Day.

It's all about timing, focus, and attachment to an event that is already in the public's mind...

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Superlite27 wrote:

Are there any plans in the works to have a huge 2010 picnic/Bar-b-que somewhere in the middle of the country so that we can all have a chance to get together?
this..:)

stewie-Y

imported post

zoom6zoom wrote:
First we would need an OC friendly state in the center...

Utah recently hit 100% on the Brady Campaign, a perfect 0 out of 100!

I'd be for a national OCDO meet in any OC friendly state, though, seeing as how I get to fly for free and all.:)

Pace

imported post

I'd worry I'd come out with more than one wife at that point.

Heck, I don't want to meet most of you. Just because I agree with yuo guys, doesn't mean I like you :p

stewie-Y wrote:
zoom6zoom wrote:

I'd be for a national OCDO meet in any OC friendly state, though, seeing as how I get to fly for free and all.:)

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Pace wrote:
I'd worry I'd come out with more than one wife at that point.

Heck, I don't want to meet most of you. Just because I agree with yuo guys, doesn't mean I like you :p

stewie-Y wrote:
zoom6zoom wrote:

yeah, same here....can i eat my food in the rental car..:cool:

Mr.FiredUp

imported post

My suggestion would be to have a national get together and also signify that day as national OC day. Do it once a year at a specified location. East coast one year, west coast one year, in the middle the next, and so on. I'm sure if we start a facebook page or something all the carry sites and gun forums would send everyone to it no problem. Just need to get details together. I'd be willing to sit on a planning board. Any other takers?

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Mr.FiredUp wrote:
My suggestion would be to have a national get together and also signify that day as national OC day. Do it once a year at a specified location. East coast one year, west coast one year, in the middle the next, and so on. I'm sure if we start a facebook page or something all the carry sites and gun forums would send everyone to it no problem. Just need to get details together. I'd be willing to sit on a planning board. Any other takers?
we could also name the Annual event. call it the " Meeting of the Minds ", We can put on Seminars....How to handle the Media , Legislators, learn how to lobby in your state for OC & gun rights, maybe even a banquet & silent auction to raise funds. Make this a entire weekend thing.

Every year a different state can put it on, East coast, midwest, west coast area. could be fun. I would say always hold it in the spring.

Maybe one if the states OC organizations could volunteer to do the first one & have it in 2011. RSVP's, Could cost $100.00 / $ 200.00 per person ( that would cover the food at the hotel for 2 nights & the Meeting rooms )

There are alot of logistics involved, getting the hotel, meeting rooms, etc.