• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

National OCDO meet

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

stewie-Y wrote:
It's really interesting...

You three derail the thread just to troll me and my state?

Thanks for being so courteous.
Anytime. That's just the kind of courtesy I like to share with my fellow OCDO-member Utahns.

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
imported post

HankT wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
HankT wrote:
Superlite27 wrote:
Has there ever been a nation wide get together?

That's a great idea. It would be a very positive event and could garner much, much favorable press.

There has never been one. But it would be a very productive endeavor. The OC movement is definitely getting to the stage where your idea could take it to the next level of awareness.

As a related matter, throughout the last 3 years, afew individuals have suggested a National OC Day. This could also be a very positive event which could get some good press. The suggesters have been beaten down with a stick. No one wants to do it. Kind of strange, actually.
Will you be at the meet, Hank?
Sure. Would be glad to attend, schedule permitting.

Do you think that a National OC Day is a good idea, Thawk? Or a National OCDO meet?

Guys?

EVERY day is National OC Day. Isn't that the point? Besides defense of self and others, isn't a part of our self-imposed mission to desensitize the public to the sight of guns? In order to accomplish that and to remove the demonization that has been put on them for decades, we need to carry every day.

Overtaxed

imported post

Suggestion: Wherever you have it, set the date to an antipode of National Ammo Day. It helps build awareness of pro-gun causes when these things are spaced throughout the year, rather than having them overlap.

Superlite27

imported post

I vote for just an impromptu get together in Kentucky. It's centrally located, has beautiful scenery (for those who decide to make the drive) and is really gun friendly.

Sure would be nice to have a huge Bar-B-Que some warm sunny weekend near the end of May or beginning of June to relish the start of consistently warm weather.

Or.....maybe some National Park to celebrate the overturning of the National Park Ban?

Definately something BYOStuff so there's no logistical planning.

Someone just suggest a site and a time and we can all just plan on bringing our own grills, soda, chips, food and tents/hotel reservations and showing up to have a fun day.

Just some gun friendly state somewhere in the middle of the country so folks on the east coast can meet folks on the west coast (or not). Don't feel like seeing the midwest? Fine. Set up a meet on the coast you're on. Maybe I'll come to that one too.

Nothing big or elaborate. Doesn't have to be. I love travelling around the country and seeing different parts. This is fun just by itself. Having some brats or burgers with a bunch of you would just be the icing on the cake.

Pace

imported post

I think OC'ers need to all have a sense of humor, come on.

Some of my best friends are mormons and they often let me use their holy underwear. :)

stewie-Y wrote:
It's really interesting...

You three derail the thread just to troll me and my state?

Thanks for being so courteous.

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

Superlite27 wrote:
I vote for just an impromptu get together in Kentucky. It's centrally located, has beautiful scenery (for those who decide to make the drive) and is really gun friendly.

Or.....maybe some National Park to celebrate the overturning of the National Park Ban?

Just some gun friendly state somewhere in the middle of the country so folks on the east coast can meet folks on the west coast (or not). Don't feel like seeing the midwest? Fine. Set up a meet on the coast you're on. Maybe I'll come to that one too.
KY is a good open carry State and mammoth caves is a great national park to visit even though you can't carry in the caves, buses, or buildings. Plus, it has camping.

However, maybe it should be held somewhere where people OC regularly get arrested and detained.

Maybe just a national OC day where people can gather in large numbers in their individual States at specified locations.

Mr.FiredUp

imported post

All these ideas are absolutely great! Can we put something together where we can really plan instead of just throwing out ideas? I don't want this to go to waste. Who should we contact?

markand

imported post

Every year, sometime in August (this year, its Tuesday, August 3, 2010), neighborhood watch organizations have a "National Night Out". They even have a web site: http://www.nationaltownwatch.org/nno/

The purpose of the event is (straight from their web site):
  • Heighten crime and drug prevention awareness;
  • Generate support for, and participation in, local anticrime programs;
  • Strengthen neighborhood spirit and police-community partnerships; and
  • Send a message to criminals letting them know that neighborhoods are organized and fighting back.
Not saying we should tag on to their event as the neighborhood watch organizations are anti-gun, stating that neighborhood watchers shouldn't carry guns or weapons.

But the idea of a "National Open Carry Day" for much the same purposes might be a neat idea. We don't have to come together all in one place, but perhaps a national open carry day could include open carry meet-ups for lunch, dinner, picnics, etc. all across the country.

TyGuy

I don't know if anyone will see this response, but I have been thinking about this also.

What about a national OC (as legal) day where it would be held in each state. Everyone could attend at their state capitol and we make it for something like 2pm EST (1pm CST, 12pm MST, and 11am PST)?

eye95

I don't know if anyone will see this response, but I have been thinking about this also.

What about a national OC (as legal) day where it would be held in each state. Everyone could attend at their state capitol and we make it for something like 2pm EST (1pm CST, 12pm MST, and 11am PST)?

If it looked like a public demonstration at all, it would be illegal in AL

Dreamer

If it looked like a public demonstration at all, it would be illegal in AL

It would also be illegal in NC because it is prohibited to carry in ANY mode (OC or CC) on the Capital Grounds. It is also illegal to carry in NC at a Parade, or when protesting on State or local Government property.

Also, in WV, there is a prohibition against carry on the "Capital Grounds" in Charleston.

In fact many states have prohibitions against carry on their State Capital grounds, even if it's not a "protest" or "public demonstration".

And what about the poor folks in MD, DC, FL, TX, and other states that forbid OC altogether? What are they going to do, EHOC, and risk getting a retaliatory "Disorderly Conduct" cite slapped on them?

Good idea in theory, but in practice, it is fundamentally untenable on a nation-wide scale.

carracer

We just had a national open carry dinner with limited success. A "National" meet would be fun, but, I think it would have to be a one location thing or at least a regional to have any meaningful participation. Otherwise, you will have 20 in Oregon, 10 in Idaho, 5 in wyoming and so on. If there was an event centralized in a location such as Yellowstone Park or somewhere such I think there would be more participation. If not, it will be another open carry pizza meetup.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
The only way it could really work on a national scale is if one date and time were set by a large gun group like GOA or NRA (i know they don't really support OC). Then ONE gun group from each state, such as VCDL, AZCDL, etc, would have to take charge of getting the word out. It would have an impact if well coordinated. Unfortunately getting that many people to cooperate on that large of a scale is unlikely.