• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

teacher tackles gunman in school shooting.

lil_freak_66

imported post

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_colo_school_shooting

LITTLETON, Colo. – The gunman was walking through a middle school parking lot and taking shots at students with a hunting rifle as terrified teenagers ran for their lives. He had just wounded two students and seemed ready to unleash more violence when a math teacher named David Benke sprung into action.

Benke confronted the 32-year-old gunman, tackled him and pinned him to the ground with the help of another teacher, stopping what could have been a much more violent encounter in a city all too familiar with tragic school shootings. The shooting occurred less than three miles from where the Columbine High School massacre happened nearly 11 years ago.

"Unfortunately he got another round off before I could grab him," Benke said. "He figured out that he wasn't going to be able to get another round chambered before I got to him so he dropped the gun and then we were kind of struggling around trying to get him subdued."

The two students survived Tuesday's shooting and one remained hospitalized.

Police said they aren't immediately sure about what motivated Bruco Strongeagle Eastwood to target Deer Creek Middle School just after classes had ended for the day. Eastwood has an arrest record in Colorado dating back to 1996 for menacing, assault, domestic violence and driving under the influence, and he is believed to have a history of mental issues.

Jefferson County Sheriff Ted Mink praised Benke and called him a hero, and the math teacher's status seems to be growing by the minute. A Facebook page called "Dr. David Benke Is A Hero!!!!" quickly grew to more than 12,000 members by Wednesday morning.

Benke, a father of 7-year-old twins and a 13-year-old girl, fought back tears after Mink thanked him.

"Believe me when I say, I think he stopped what could have been a more tragic event than it was this afternoon," Mink said.

The victims, students Reagan Webber and Matt Thieu, were both treated at Littleton Adventist Hospital, where spokeswoman Christine Alexander said Webber was treated and released to her home. Thieu was transferred to The Children's Hospital, where he was listed in critical condition late Tuesday.

Benke, a 6-foot-5 former college basketball player who oversees the school's track team, was monitoring the parking lot in the afternoon when he heard what he thought was a firecracker and began walking toward the noise.

"At first when I was walking over there, it was kind of what a teacher does," Benke said, still shaken hours after the shooting. "`Hey kid, what are you doing,' you know that kind of thing."

He said another teacher was quickly on the scene and both of them pinned the gunman to the ground. Eastwood was armed with a bolt-action rifle.

"I basically have my arms and legs wrapped around him, (the other teacher) has his forearm around his front and we were basically trying to get the guy to quit struggling."

"I talked to him while we were on the ground," Benke added. "I was underneath him and his face was pretty close to mine. I asked him, `Why did you do this? Were you a student here?'

"He either didn't respond or his responses didn't make a whole lot of sense," Benke said.

The shooting rattled a city that was devastated in 1999 when two students shot and killed 12 students and a teacher in one of the deadliest school rampages in U.S. history. The middle school is right down the road from Columbine High School, and is located on West Columbine Drive.

Benke told a TV station that he took part in drills after Columbine and recalled thinking that if the same thing happened, "I hope that I could go after him."

Investigators said Eastwood visited the school previously and was inside shortly before the shooting. He is expected to make his first court appearance Wednesday and may face at least two counts of attempted murder.
Denver station KUSA-TV reported that Eastwood attended Deer Creek Middle School in the early 1990s.
In 2005, Benke participated in a NASA-funded medical study in which he spent 10 days in a hospital bed so scientist could study muscle wasting, an affliction experienced by astronauts during long flights, according to a story in the Rocky Mountain News at the time.
He told the newspaper that he had a lifelong dream of being an astronaut and described his occupation to the newspaper as horse trainer working at his father's Eagle's Nest Ranch in Hudson.
A man who answered the phone Tuesday night at a number listed for Eastwood identified himself only as "Mr. Eastwood" and said he was Bruco Eastwood's father. He was at a loss for words.
"There's nothing you can say about it. What can you say?" the man told The Associated Press. "Pretty dumb thing to do. I feel bad for the people involved." He wouldn't comment further.
As for Benke, he said he still wishes he could have done: "It bugs me that he got another round off" before Benke tackled him to the ground.

45acpForMe

imported post

Thank God for brave people willing to put themselves in danger to save others.

So why do we need to disarm these brave people? Teachers should be leading the charge to allow carry in schools rather than being forced to charge evil gunmen unarmed.

marrero jeff

imported post

Well carrying in a middle school is very different from carrying in a high school. At my old high school in the New Orleans area there are grown men sitting in class. It would be quite easy for them to get the jump on a teacher carrying, and to be honest, the calber of students who go there isnt too high for the most part. Carrying there would only be more dangerous.

lil_freak_66

imported post

marrero jeff wrote:
Well carrying in a middle school is very different from carrying in a high school. At my old high school in the New Orleans area there are grown men sitting in class. It would be quite easy for them to get the jump on a teacher carrying, and to be honest, the calber of students who go there isnt too high for the most part. Carrying there would only be more dangerous.

which is exactly the point of concealed carry,and retention holsters.

sometimes even the teachers have the need to defend themselves from enraged students,i feel that most school shootings are actually commited by students,against other students or faculty.

and personally if legal,and i was a teacher,id CC at school every day,and wouldnt care about whether i got fired or not,i would know my students were safer if such a situation were to arise.

as the saying goes,id rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...and/or risk seeing the students carried by 6

simmonsjoe

imported post

Chubs2287 wrote:
I vaguely remember a movie, I think it was called "The Substitute" and he carried a gun to school in the movie.
He also cut off a kids finger after tranquilizing him with a syringe tipped arrow. It was after the kid called it his 'trigger finger.'

protector84

imported post

Carrying in schools is legal because the Constitution specifically states that the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. As far as I'm concerned, carrying anywhere is legal. Regardless, self-defense is a human right. If I feel I need to carry a gun somewhere that decision will be made by me, not somebody else.

Beerme

Banned
imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:
marrero jeff wrote:

sometimes even the teachers have the need to defend themselves from enraged students,i feel that most school shootings are actually commited by students,against other students or faculty.

and personally if legal,and i was a teacher,id CC at school every day,and wouldnt care about whether i got fired or not,i would know my students were safer if such a situation were to arise.

as the saying goes,id rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...and/or risk seeing the students carried by 6

It's not a matter of getting fired.
It's a matter of legally not being allowed to CC in a school.
After you got fired the next thing would be a felony charge, another smart thought...
There are some teachers that OC in schools that have cleared it with the school district's superintendent

Beerme

Banned
imported post

protector84 wrote:
Carrying in schools is legal because the Constitution specifically states that the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. As far as I'm concerned, carrying anywhere is legal. Regardless, self-defense is a human right. If I feel I need to carry a gun somewhere that decision will be made by me, not somebody else.
and when you get caught carrying in a PFZ you go to jail.

Good thinking.

lil_freak_66

imported post

Beerme wrote:
lil_freak_66 wrote:
marrero jeff wrote:

After you got fired the next thing would be a felony charge, another smart thought...
There are some teachers that OC in schools that have cleared it with the school district's superintendent

did you not see where it said if legal?

ill put the safety of me and othersbefore a job,they probably wouldnt even know unless the situation ever arose that would require the use of that firearm.

Brimstone Baritone

imported post

Beerme wrote:
lil_freak_66 wrote:

How do you know it wouldn't be legal for him to CC? Maybe he has a state issued CCW or CPL. What does clearing it with the superintendent do to change the legality? You start your argument pointing out that it isn't about getting fired, but end it with a way not to get fired (and while OCing when the above poster was talking about CCing).

I guess what I'm saying is: What:question: