Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High capacity magazine legality?

Post imported post

I had just recently fixed (kind of) my 30 rd magazine for my glock and was talking about it with a cop buddy around and he said while smiling "well if that's not illegal! you can't even have a 15 rd mag, you can't have a high capacity magazines." we talked about it for a minute and said he could be wrong but said he could have swore you couldn't.

i asked "so i can carry ten or twenty 13 rd mags but not one 15?!? he agreed with that argument and thinks a high capacity limit would be stupid any how.

I was just wondering the wisdom of my OCDO forum friends on any legality of high capacity magazines. I just want to make sure there is something i don't know about or what my gun store friends might not know for selling me such high capacity illegal fun things.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

This isn't california. It's perfectly legal.

Post imported post

Some cops know what they are talking about, but in general, asking a cop about the law is a lot like asking a can of Faygo for romantic advice. It isn't a sensible thing to do.

Police tend to assume your rights are more restricted than they are so that they don't accidentally tell you that you can do something illegal.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

Would walking around town or in Wally World with a 30 round mag sticking out the ass of your holstered pistol be stupid? Yes. Is it illegal to do in Michigan? No.

Post imported post

i own a few high capacity magazines for the 10/22,30 and 50 rounders.

i had a 20 or 30 rounder(i forget which) for an AR15 that i gave to kimberguy at the lansing ponderosa event.

not illegal in michigan or most other states.

until maybe a yearor 2ago(until they stopped selling most firearms),walmart sold high capacity 10/22 magazines and the remington .22( i believe model 597) high cap. mags
    not a lawyer, dont take anything i say as legal advice.

Post imported post

In 2004 the federal law that banned high capacity magazines expired. Thus any size magazineis now permitted under federal law. The ATF also released a memo that any magazine stamped "LE and GOVT use only" was legal for private citizens to own.

Now there are about 3 states out there that restrict magazine capacity, but Michigan is not one of them.

Post imported post

budlight wrote:
    In 2004 the federal law that banned high capacity magazines expired. Thus any size magazineis now permitted under federal law. The ATF also released a memo that any magazine stamped "LE and GOVT use only" was legal for private citizens to own.

Now there are about 3 states out there that restrict magazine capacity, but Michigan is not one of them.
    it should be noted that california does not include rimfire rifles(handguns are still required to meet the capacity requirment regardless of caliber) in the high capacity awb.

the cite is on the following page.

Post imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:
    budlight wrote:

i may be mistaken but i thinkcalifornia does not have magazine restrictions,or the assault rifle thing against .22 and smaller rimfire guns.
    Unless LE, you are restricted to 10 rounds (pistol) or less in Kalifornia.

Post imported post

You can also apply for a waiver for hi capacity in CA if I remember correctly...
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Post imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
    You can also apply for a waiver for hi capacity in CA if I remember correctly...
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/california.pdf

Upon showing a good cause, ....

Yeah, riiiiight!!!! I'll bet as easily obtainable a CHP.

Post imported post

Gee golly gosh guys, why don't we just annex Kal-iform-ia out of this union? Its not like they have the power to fight back? They already have completly different laws, they are just dragging us down. Start a poll someone, and count it before it gets deleted!

God Bless
    "Bam, I like saying bam when I cite something, in fact I think I shall do this from here on out, as long as I remember.
    Bam!" - eastmeyers

"Then said he to them, But now he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his sack: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
    Luke 22:36
    God Bless

Post imported post

eastmeyers wrote:
    Gee golly gosh guys, why don't we just annex Kal-iform-ia out of this union? Its not like they have the power to fight back? They already have completly different laws, they are just dragging us down. Start a poll someone, and count it before it gets deleted!

God Bless
    i checked petitiononline.com and i cant find anything on annexing california...

dangit.

Post imported post

Michigander wrote:
    Some cops know what they are talking about, but in general, asking a cop about the law is a lot like asking a can of Faygo for romantic advice. It isn't a sensible thing to do.

Police tend to assume your rights are more restricted than they are so that they don't accidentally tell you that you can do something illegal.
    That explains why I had so many women issues in my youth
    Rand Paul 2016

Post imported post

Michigander wrote:

lol so true

Post imported post

Michigander wrote:

wtf is wrong with moonmist???

Post imported post

Comunistfornia has alot of those type laws. They have one saying no 50 cal. rifles.
    Funny thing is...well, L.A. Swat had two Barrett 50 cals that were damaged. They sent them to Ronie Barrett for repairs. After a while they called looking for their weapons. He told them they were fixed and the amount. Check arrived in the mail no problem. A while later they called for their 2 weapons but he told them He wasn't allowed to send 5o Caliber rifles to Comunistfornia. They said "But we are L.A. Swat!!" He then told them if he sent them back he could lose Manufacturing license and FFL. As of last fall he still had them. Gotta love it when a Illegal laws backfires on the ones who wrote it.
    Only two have offered their lives for you. A Soldier and Jesus....

Post imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:
    budlight wrote:

i may be mistaken but i thinkcalifornia does not have magazine restrictions,or the assault rifle thing against .22 and smaller rimfire guns.
    Could you cite that statute please?

Banned
    Between the Soo and New Buffalo, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

SlowDog wrote:
    Comunistfornia has alot of those type laws. They have one saying no 50 cal. rifles.
    Funny thing is...well, L.A. Swat had two Barrett 50 cals that were damaged. They sent them to Ronie Barrett for repairs. After a while they called looking for their weapons. He told them they were fixed and the amount. Check arrived in the mail no problem. A while later they called for their 2 weapons but he told them He wasn't allowed to send 5o Caliber rifles to Comunistfornia. They said "But we are L.A. Swat!!" He then told them if he sent them back he could lose Manufacturing license and FFL. As of last fall he still had them. Gotta love it when a Illegal laws backfires on the ones who wrote it.
    Cops don't write laws. You know that. But I think I see what you're trying to say.

Banned

Post imported post

hi capacity mags are perfectly legal. Wanna buy some?

Post imported post

Hombre1 wrote:
    Just don't expect a return address. lol

God Bless
    "Bam, I like saying bam when I cite something, in fact I think I shall do this from here on out, as long as I remember.
    Bam!" - eastmeyers

"Then said he to them, But now he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his sack: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
    God Bless

Banned

Post imported post

Michigander wrote:
    That is very well put and very true.

Banned

Post imported post

eastmeyers wrote:
    Hombre1 wrote:
    Just don't expect a return address. lol

God Bless
    Smart @$$.

Post imported post

:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate
    Bam!" - eastmeyers

God Bless

Post imported post

Hombre1 wrote:
    Michigander wrote:
    +1

They are not lawyers
    Bam!" - eastmeyers

God Bless

Banned

Post imported post

eastmeyers wrote:
    Hombre1 wrote:
    Michigander wrote:
    +1

They are not lawyers
    But be careful because some actually are.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast