• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

High capacity magazine legality?

manicdevery

imported post

I had just recently fixed (kind of) my 30 rd magazine for my glock and was talking about it with a cop buddy around and he said while smiling "well if that's not illegal! you can't even have a 15 rd mag, you can't have a high capacity magazines." we talked about it for a minute and said he could be wrong but said he could have swore you couldn't.

i asked "so i can carry ten or twenty 13 rd mags but not one 15?!? he agreed with that argument and thinks a high capacity limit would be stupid any how.

I was just wondering the wisdom of my OCDO forum friends on any legality of high capacity magazines. I just want to make sure there is something i don't know about or what my gun store friends might not know for selling me such high capacity illegal fun things.

Michigander

imported post

Some cops know what they are talking about, but in general, asking a cop about the law is a lot like asking a can of Faygo for romantic advice. It isn't a sensible thing to do.

Police tend to assume your rights are more restricted than they are so that they don't accidentally tell you that you can do something illegal.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Would walking around town or in Wally World with a 30 round mag sticking out the ass of your holstered pistol be stupid? Yes. Is it illegal to do in Michigan? No.

lil_freak_66

imported post

i own a few high capacity magazines for the 10/22,30 and 50 rounders.

i had a 20 or 30 rounder(i forget which) for an AR15 that i gave to kimberguy at the lansing ponderosa event.

not illegal in michigan or most other states.

until maybe a yearor 2ago(until they stopped selling most firearms),walmart sold high capacity 10/22 magazines and the remington .22( i believe model 597) high cap. mags

budlight

imported post

In 2004 the federal law that banned high capacity magazines expired. Thus any size magazineis now permitted under federal law. The ATF also released a memo that any magazine stamped "LE and GOVT use only" was legal for private citizens to own.

Now there are about 3 states out there that restrict magazine capacity, but Michigan is not one of them.

lil_freak_66

imported post

budlight wrote:
In 2004 the federal law that banned high capacity magazines expired. Thus any size magazineis now permitted under federal law. The ATF also released a memo that any magazine stamped "LE and GOVT use only" was legal for private citizens to own.

Now there are about 3 states out there that restrict magazine capacity, but Michigan is not one of them.

it should be noted that california does not include rimfire rifles(handguns are still required to meet the capacity requirment regardless of caliber) in the high capacity awb.

the cite is on the following page.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:
budlight wrote:

i may be mistaken but i thinkcalifornia does not have magazine restrictions,or the assault rifle thing against .22 and smaller rimfire guns.
Unless LE, you are restricted to 10 rounds (pistol) or less in Kalifornia.

eastmeyers

imported post

Gee golly gosh guys, why don't we just annex Kal-iform-ia out of this union? Its not like they have the power to fight back? They already have completly different laws, they are just dragging us down. Start a poll someone, and count it before it gets deleted!

God Bless

lil_freak_66

imported post

eastmeyers wrote:
Gee golly gosh guys, why don't we just annex Kal-iform-ia out of this union? Its not like they have the power to fight back? They already have completly different laws, they are just dragging us down. Start a poll someone, and count it before it gets deleted!

God Bless
i checked petitiononline.com and i cant find anything on annexing california...

dangit.

Yooper

imported post

Michigander wrote:
Some cops know what they are talking about, but in general, asking a cop about the law is a lot like asking a can of Faygo for romantic advice. It isn't a sensible thing to do.

Police tend to assume your rights are more restricted than they are so that they don't accidentally tell you that you can do something illegal.
That explains why I had so many women issues in my youth ;)

dereksj

imported post

Michigander wrote:

lol so true

lil_freak_66

imported post

Michigander wrote:

wtf is wrong with moonmist???

SlowDog

imported post

Comunistfornia has alot of those type laws. They have one saying no 50 cal. rifles.
Funny thing is...well, L.A. Swat had two Barrett 50 cals that were damaged. They sent them to Ronie Barrett for repairs. After a while they called looking for their weapons. He told them they were fixed and the amount. Check arrived in the mail no problem. A while later they called for their 2 weapons but he told them He wasn't allowed to send 5o Caliber rifles to Comunistfornia. They said "But we are L.A. Swat!!" He then told them if he sent them back he could lose Manufacturing license and FFL. As of last fall he still had them. Gotta love it when a Illegal laws backfires on the ones who wrote it.

G

imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:
budlight wrote:

i may be mistaken but i thinkcalifornia does not have magazine restrictions,or the assault rifle thing against .22 and smaller rimfire guns.
Could you cite that statute please?

Hombre

Banned
imported post

SlowDog wrote:
Comunistfornia has alot of those type laws. They have one saying no 50 cal. rifles.
Funny thing is...well, L.A. Swat had two Barrett 50 cals that were damaged. They sent them to Ronie Barrett for repairs. After a while they called looking for their weapons. He told them they were fixed and the amount. Check arrived in the mail no problem. A while later they called for their 2 weapons but he told them He wasn't allowed to send 5o Caliber rifles to Comunistfornia. They said "But we are L.A. Swat!!" He then told them if he sent them back he could lose Manufacturing license and FFL. As of last fall he still had them. Gotta love it when a Illegal laws backfires on the ones who wrote it.
Cops don't write laws. You know that. But I think I see what you're trying to say.