• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

So what I have read is it is legal by law to open carry in CT

GunFire

imported post

I have read some of the post as suggested by others and some of the Guys say it is ok to carry and from what I have read I Agree. But I also see some problems with local police and or State police as they are taught that open carry is not legal, a friend of mine just joined the State Police and he told me that open carry was NOT LEGAL (there seems to be two standards here what the law is and what the State Police say. When will we all get on the same page?

i.e. I am walking down the street with my Glock on my belt in some part of Bridgeport where there has been trouble. Someone calls the Police, I am doing nothing wrong just walking.

Question What does this Group think would happen to me. (I am legal to carry, I am over 21, I have a CT permit.)

Thanks for your input.

MHemmann

imported post

Inmy opinion they shouldn't have called 911 in the first place. It's not like you were waving it around. As you stated its holstered on your hip. If people think a holstered gun is dangerous, then so is a parked car.

Ok so they call 911 and the operator asked what are they doing? They respond: Just walking down the street witha holstered gun. It's non threatening, and that just seems like a waste of time to me. You're doing nothing wrong and they can't do anything about it.

Carry on!

GoldCoaster

imported post

GunFire wrote:
I have read some of the post as suggested by others and some of the Guys say it is ok to carry and from what I have read I Agree. But I also see some problems with local police and or State police as they are taught that open carry is not legal, a friend of mine just joined the State Police and he told me that open carry was NOT LEGAL (there seems to be two standards here what the law is and what the State Police say. When will we all get on the same page?

i.e. I am walking down the street with my Glock on my belt in some part of Bridgeport where there has been trouble. Someone calls the Police, I am doing nothing wrong just walking.

Question What does this Group think would happen to me. (I am legal to carry, I am over 21, I have a CT permit.)

Thanks for your input.
Ask your buddy what they taught him at the academy regarding carry, ask him where it is mandated that it has to be concealed. Ask him if he is familiar with the Goldberg case which is getting ready to cost Glastonbury a ton of cash to settle.

Oh also ask him if concealment is mandatory why is it that DPS keeps trying to push through legislation in the statehouse to mandate concealment. If it's illegal already why push through another law outlawing it?

gluegun

imported post

If you're going to carry, especially openly, it's important to know and understand all the relevant laws. At some point you are going to be questioned about it, whether it be from law enforcement or from the citizenry.

The best advice is to be prepared and be willing to stand up for your rights.

Also, have a few of these to hand out: Is that legal? :)

Bingo85

imported post

Is it legal...YES!

Is it wise...YMMV.

As I understand it (like the chillies guy) is that even if you are legaly OCingor CCingand someone calls the police for seeing a weapon. They show up and decide to arrest you for breach of peice and your permit is revoked...

Now...your next step is to go to firearms review board and plead your case. As you didn't break any laws it would be reinstated and you could go on your merry way.

BUT...at the time of my pistol permit class (late 09') the wait for an appearance was 2 years +.

Thats why I dont OC...YMMV.

-Bingo

gluegun

imported post

Keep in mind that since James Goldberg was arrested (that Chili's guy), NO ONE has had their permit revoked for open carrying. Both the Board of Firearms Permit Examiners and DPS know open carrying does not make you "unsuitable."