Thread: Northshore Square Mall, Slidell - Anti gun policy

Post imported post

I got it on good accord from Donna Allen, Director of Public Safety, that the mall is Anti Weapon. This includes guns, knifes, CC or OC, by anyone, including herself and her security guard staff. She stated that anyone seen with any sort of weapon for any reason, other than on duty LEO, would be asked to leave the mall.
    I did observe that there are no signs on entrances stating this policy. Any one want to bring them a dozen or so of these signs? I should have asked her how the mall and her security guards planned on insuring the safety of myself and my family while in the mall?

Post imported post

Slidell Jim wrote:
    She stated that anyone seen with any sort of weapon for any reason, other than on duty LEO, would be asked to leave the mall.
    As much as I'm opposed to concealed carry (or I should say, opposed to the LICENSING of concealed carry), I have to admit that there are occasions that it would come in handy. This would be one of them.

Post imported post

barf wrote:
    Slidell Jim wrote:
    She stated that anyone seen with any sort of weapon for any reason, other than on duty LEO, would be asked to leave the mall.
    As much as I'm opposed to concealed carry (or I should say, opposed to the LICENSING of concealed carry), I have to admit that there are occasions that it would come in handy. This would be one of them.
    Perhaps one of us should indicate how this may affect their business... We are more than a few.

Post imported post

barf wrote:
    Slidell Jim wrote:
    Your secret is out, we know about you now!

Post imported post

barf wrote:
    So basically what you are saying is Concealed Means Concealed, right?
    President/ Founding Member
    Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League
    www.laopencarry.org

Post imported post

SickMaker wrote:
    barf wrote:
    Slidell Jim wrote:
    Your secret is out, we know about you now!
    If you want to have a substantive discussion about something, you let me know.

Post imported post

yale wrote:
    barf wrote:
    That's right. But it's just my opinion - I don't carry concealed.

If for some reason I don't (or can't) take my business elsewhere, I would rather carry concealed and have a means of self defense than not be carrying at all. But I haven't ever had to do that.

Post imported post

barf wrote:
    yale wrote:
    barf wrote:
    That's right. But it's just my opinion - I don't carry concealed.

If for some reason I don't (or can't) take my business elsewhere, I would rather carry concealed and have a means of self defense than not be carrying at all. But I haven't ever had to do that.
    Good point... I don't cc, but have considered the need to do so during work hours when not on company property. If I'm seen OCing during work hours, there could be complications.

Post imported post

Do any of you know if the "No Guns..Defense Free Zone" image the OP included in his post is available for sale anywhere in the form of a sticker?

Dirty

Post imported post

Slidell Jim wrote:
    Any one want to bring them a dozen or so of these signs?
    That's one of the silliest signs I have ever seen.

Who dreams up that stuff?

Post imported post

Actually, one of the "silliest" signs I ever seen indicated "No Firearms."

Post imported post

It is the most foolish signs I have seen as well.

I wouldn't mind having that same sticker to proudly affix to the entry door of a non-OC friendly business.

Only used if management expressly asked me to leave their establishment due to an openly carried side arm.

Dirty

Post imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
    dirty_sanchez wrote:
    It is the most foolish signs I have seen as well.

I wouldn't mind having that same sticker to proudly affix to the entry door of a non-OC friendly business.

Only used if management expressly asked me to leave their establishment due to an openly carried side arm.

Dirty
    Put me down for several dozen, I'll gladly post them as I leave.
    What gives you the right to post stickers on other people's property, MEM?

Post imported post

Come on Mark!

Even a young Bull knows it's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission:celebrate

Dirty

Post imported post

dirty_sanchez wrote:
    Come on Mark!

Even a young Bull knows it's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission:celebrate

Dirty
    Schoolyard stuff....kids' stuff...

I'm sure you would have a convenient change of view if some citizen antis posted a sticker on your house or car that said:

Danger! Gun In this House/Car. Beware.

Guns Kill People and People With Guns Kill People Too!

LOL.

Post imported post

The mall contacted my employer today to "check up on me". I got a call from my boss 2 hours ago, he said "you raised some red flags at the mall the other day... I got things smoothed over for you, and just don't go asking any questions like that again while you are in uniform."

This is how things went down. I had a customer at the mall on Tuesday afternoon, after i finished I went down to the mall office and sat down in a chair. The secretary and I had a 2 minute conversation like this.
    Q: "whats the mall policy on firearms?"
    answer: "no tolerance."
    Q: "does this also apply to persons with a state ccw permit?"
    A: "I don't know, but here is a business card for our Head of Public Safety."
    The following morning I called that person. The results from that call where in the OP.

Now the Head of Security didn't know who I was at that time, anymore than by name, I think she had no association to my uniform, at that time. They must have heard back from the secretary, and put it together, and felt the need to call on my employer to check up on me. Really bad business call IMO. If they needed to "check me out", then call the Slidell PD, STPSO, and the FBI for that matter. The local or Fed LEO's would have told them everything they know about me, which is ZERO! I have no record, no flags, not even a speeding ticket since 2004.

I guess it REALLY is easier to ask forgiveness than permission. I got what I deserved for asking a question, right? I think I wont be going back to the mall period. Now I really don't feel safe, they have made it clear that they dont allow guns, don't carry guns of their own, and discourage folks from asking questions about their policy by contacting their employer. And they "know who I am." Which really puts a tingle in my spine. There have been plenty of private businesses that have come out PRO 2A, that I can patronize in what ever capacity I feel is best for myself. I will stick to where I am welcome and can be assured of my personal safety, by myself.

Post imported post

That's some b.s. right there. If I weren't concerned about you getting more backlash from the mall, I'd be urging EVERYONE to call and ask what the policy is.

They should change that guy's name to Head of "Pubic" Safety. I think I found their badge:

Post imported post

Slidell Jim wrote:
    The mall contacted my employer today to "check up on me". I got a call from my boss 2 hours ago, he said "you raised some red flags at the mall the other day... I got things smoothed over for you, and just don't go asking any questions like that again while you are in uniform."

This is how things went down. I had a customer at the mall on Tuesday afternoon, after i finished I went down to the mall office and sat down in a chair. The secretary and I had a 2 minute conversation like this.
    Q: "whats the mall policy on firearms?"
    answer: "no tolerance."
    Q: "does this also apply to persons with a state ccw permit?"
    A: "I don't know, but here is a business card for our Head of Public Safety."
    The following morning I called that person. The results from that call where in the OP.

Now the Head of Security didn't know who I was at that time, anymore than by name, I think she had no association to my uniform, at that time. They must have heard back from the secretary, and put it together, and felt the need to call on my employer to check up on me. Really bad business call IMO. If they needed to "check me out", then call the Slidell PD, STPSO, and the FBI for that matter. The local or Fed LEO's would have told them everything they know about me, which is ZERO! I have no record, no flags, not even a speeding ticket since 2004.

I guess it REALLY is easier to ask forgiveness than permission. I got what I deserved for asking a question, right? I think I wont be going back to the mall period. Now I really don't feel safe, they have made it clear that they dont allow guns, don't carry guns of their own, and discourage folks from asking questions about their policy by contacting their employer. And they "know who I am." Which really puts a tingle in my spine. There have been plenty of private businesses that have come out PRO 2A, that I can patronize in what ever capacity I feel is best for myself. I will stick to where I am welcome and can be assured of my personal safety, by myself.
    SJ, don't you think now that your idea to disseminate your "Attention Criminals--This is a Defense Free Crime Zone" was a little, uh, intemperate? And unrealistic?

I don't get it with this not-well-conceptualized schoolyard/teenager advocacy stuff.

And what happens if Donna Allen gets wind of this thread and your (and dirty sanchez') idea to post those silly signs/stickers on private property? Will she create some more heat for you? She already has your boss' phone number.

I just don't get it.

Contrast your idea of advocacy with this one up in Michigan. Man, the comparison makes your stuff look sophomoric:

MOC seminar at Gander Mtn

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/38497.html

Post imported post

HankT wrote:
    SJ, don't you think now that your idea to disseminate your "Attention Criminals--This is a Defense Free Crime Zone" was a little, uh, intemperate? And unrealistic?

I don't get it with this not-well-conceptualized schoolyard/teenager advocacy stuff.

And what happens if Donna Allen gets wind of this thread and your (and dirty sanchez') idea to post those silly signs/stickers on private property? Will she create some more heat for you? She already has your boss' phone number.
    intemperate, you ask? Yes, it was. I am passionate about my 2A rights and anyone who wishes to temper those rights.

unrealistic, you asked? Yes, it will be unrealistic for me to post those signs at the mall, while I'm not there. Across the road is a Starbucks, Home Depot, Walmart, Academy, and Best Buy, or any of the other retail stores that will be getting my business due to their OC friendly policy.

and to clarify my idea, I quote myself in the OP:.
    I did observe that there are no signs on entrances stating this policy. Any one want to bring them a dozen or so of these signs?
    I don't have the gumption or contempt to go posting signs up on the doors! That would be illegal! They would surely gig me for criminal mischief, trespassing, or something of the like. I never stated anyone should go place those signs on their entrances. I have enough respect for a private business to abide by their wishes and policy. As I sated before:
    I think I wont be going back to the mall period.
    I will simply stay away from the Northshore Square Mall.

And what happens if Donna Allen gets wind of this thread
    I offered Joe Ciruti, the man that called my boss, this website URL. He seemed disinterested, and stated "we don't have a problem with you."

Post imported post

I've gone to that mall several times while at lunch for work. I OC every time I go there, although not in the method you all probably think. Most of the time I OC with a very shiny knife and I've never had a single problem.

Methinks that barf's idea of several calls to this chuckle head in the security office is in order.

Post imported post

Slidell Jim wrote:
    HankT wrote:

... Yes, it will be unrealistic for me to post those signs at the mall, while I'm not there. ...

and to clarify my idea, I quote myself in the OP:.
    I did observe that there are no signs on entrances stating this policy. Any one want to bring them a dozen or so of these signs?
    I don't have the gumption or contempt to go posting signs up on the doors! That would be illegal! They would surely gig me for criminal mischief, trespassing, or something of the like. I never stated anyone should go place those signs on their entrances. I have enough respect for a private business to abide by their wishes and policy. As I sated before:
    Ahhh, seeeemed like you were encouraging someone doing that. I mean, with the requisite careful wording to avoid it beingan explicit instruction, of course.

In any event, the signs are still silly. They make no sense whatsoever, unless they are posted on the business somehow. Then they would be a funny thang for those who are clued in. Of course, posting them without permission is a no-no.

So, SJ....I think you're safe. If anyone ever takes you up on your, ahem, suggestion...you can always say, "I never stated anyone should go place those signs on their entrances."

Well done, sir.

Post imported post

LA Confederate wrote:
    SNIP
    Methinks that barf's idea of several calls to this chuckle head in the security office is in order.

I think that the head of security is taking her lead from the General Manager, who is taking her lead from some corporate puppet (Morguard Investments from Ontario, Canada), who is taking their lead from some other corporate puppet, ect, ect. Its hard to say who is really in charge. To add confusion, the guy with the title of "property engineer" called my employer to discuss a security matter??? He should have left it to the security people or the cops.Leave the boiler work to the engineers, and the safety work to the security folks.That's one reason why they contract out security to a knowledgeable outside firm, so as to not end up overstepping their legal bounds on matters they have no knowledge about. </end rant>

Here is the listing from their website of the mall employees The Head of Public Safety, Donna Allen, is not listed here as a direct mall employee. Her business card said she is being employed by IPC International which is a mall security firm out of Illinois.

Post imported post

Slidell Jim wrote:
    LA Confederate wrote:
    SNIP

I think that the head of security is taking her lead from the General Manager, who is taking her lead from some corporate puppet (Morguard Investments from Ontario, Canada), who is taking their lead from some other corporate puppet, ect, ect.¬*¬* Its hard to say who is really in charge.¬* To add confusion, the guy with the title of "property engineer" called my employer to discuss a security matter???¬*¬* He should have left it to the security people or the cops.¬*Leave the boiler work to the engineers, and the safety work to the security folks.¬*That's one reason why they contract out security to a knowledgeable outside firm, so as to not end up overstepping their¬* legal bounds on matters they have no knowledge about.¬*¬*¬*¬* </end rant>

Here is the listing from their website of the mall employees ¬*¬* The Head of Public Safety, Donna Allen, is not listed here as a direct mall employee.¬* Her business card said she is being employed by IPC International which is a mall security firm out of Illinois.
    Thanks for the info Jim. Now I've gotta take some Tylenol cause my head is hurting. Why am I not surprised that an establishment owned by a Canadian company with security being handled by an outfit from IL would have such a retarded policy?