• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question about fixed blade carry

Heartless_Conservative

imported post

My question is pretty straightforward, but I can't find a ready answer so I'm hoping someone here could help. How much of the knife has to be visible in order to escape being considered "concealed upon the person" under ORS 166.240?
[size=[/b]
166.240 Carrying of concealed weapons. (1) Except as provided in subsection (2) of this section, any person who carries concealed upon the person any knife having a blade that projects or swings into position by force of a spring or by centrifugal force, any dirk, dagger, ice pick, slungshot, metal knuckles, or any similar instrument by the use of which injury could be inflicted upon the person or property of any other person, commits a Class B misdemeanor.
][/size]
I ask because I prefer loose-fitting shirts the tend to drape over the handle when I'm carrying my bowie knife, but pretty much all of the sheath is visible (just the wooden handle is covered by the shirt). It's pretty obvious what's in the sheath, so I'd assume that it'd be legal, but I'd really like to be sure.

also Salem City Ordinance 95.100. Concealed Weapons. Reads:
(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry concealed upon the person any knife having a blade that projects or swings into position by force of a spring or by centrifugal force and commonly known as a switchblade knife, any dirk, dagger, ice pick, sling shot, metal knuckles or any other similar instrument by the use of which injury could be inflicted upon the person or property of another person. (b) Nothing in subsection (a) of this section shall apply to any peace officer as defined in ORS 133.005, whose duty it is to serve process or make arrests. (Ord No. 3389; Ord No. 27-70; Ord No. 48-76; Ord No. 181-79; Ord No. 24-89; Ord No. 33-90; Ord No. 96-91; Ord No. 29-96)
If it's legal under ORS 166.240, then does it automatically work for the Salem Ordinance, or does Salem use a super special definition that's more strict than the state law?

mlacey56

imported post

Ive OC my RC-3 for a while now, and CCed it once in a while. When it comes to knife laws in Oregon, they're even more vague than for firearms.....obviously noted in your post above. Just remember this rule, CC means you cant see it. OC will show people some sort of eye candy ;)....sheath...eye candy for sure......even a pocket clip off of your folder ok. This is how you can carry an automatic WITHOUT being a LEO. At first look, if I can see it without a search, I'll consider it open carry.

mlacey56

imported post

And no, this is not an easy answer to give. It's very convoluted when it comes to knife laws....mainly because no one gives a crap in Oregon. Great question BTW.