Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: John Pierce of OCDO will be on WPR today at 4PM Central time (24 FEB)

Post imported post

Hey everyone, I just got word that John Pierce, co-founder of OCDO will be interviewed live today (2/24) on Wisconsin Public Radio's "At Issue with Ben Merens" show. Show starts just after 4 p.m. Central Time.

Listeners will be invited to call in!

Spread the word!

Select an Ideas Network station to see its Program Schedule
    Ideas Network Web Streaming Everywhere... WHA (AM) 970 Madison WLBL (AM) 930 Auburndale, Stevens Point KUWS (FM) 91.3 Superior W215AQ (FM) 90.9 West Madison, Middleton W275AF (FM) 102.9 Ashland, Bayfield W300BM (FM) 107.9 Central Madison WEPS (FM) 88.9 Elgin, IL WHAD (FM) 90.7 Delafield, Milwaukee WHBM (FM) 90.3 Park Falls WHDI (FM) 91.9 Sister Bay, Door County WHHI (FM) 91.3 Highland, Dodgeville WHID (FM) 88.1 Green Bay WHLA (FM) 90.3 La Crosse WHWC (FM) 88.3 Menomonie, Eau Claire WLBL (FM) 91.9 Wausau WRFW (FM) 88.7 River Falls WRST (FM) 90.3 Oshkosh WSHS (FM) 91.7 Sheboygan
    A. Gold

Failure to comply may result in discipline up to and including termination.
    The free man is a warrior. - Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"

Post imported post

Did anyone get to listen?

The opposing view was presented by Gerri (sp?) from Wisconsin Anti Violence Effort (WAVE) and she was a well spoken and articulate opponent.

John

Post imported post

I missed it.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Post imported post

I listened to it. Well done, John! I like near the end when you cornered Jeri because she said she's not anti-gun, but she's opposed to both open and concealed carry. You were spot on pointing out those are the only two methods.

She is right when is pointed out that constitutional rights are not absolute, but her idea of limiting the constitutional right to bear arms is equivalent to saying one has a right to free speech, but only in one's home. To me that illustrates how extreme her viewpoint is.
    A. Gold

Post imported post

jpierce wrote:

The opposing view was presented by Gerri (sp?) from Wisconsin Anti Violence Effort (WAVE) and she was a well spoken and articulate opponent.

John
    Good to know that the Joyce Foundation is getting value for their dollar.

Why does every anti 2A feel it is necessary to start out with "I am a hunter" or "I grew up around guns?"

When in danger you can dial 911 and hope for the police to arrive a few minutes later armed with guns.
    Why do police carry guns?

The Joyce Foundation funded firearm control empire:
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...lFundingR1.png

"Everything that we see is a shadow cast by that which we do not see." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Post imported post

Thanks!

Shotgun wrote:
    I listened to it. Well done, John! I like near the end when you cornered Jeri because she said she's not anti-gun, but she's opposed to both open and concealed carry. You were spot on pointing out those are the only two methods.

She is right when is pointed out that constitutional rights are not absolute, but her idea of limiting the constitutional right to bear arms is equivalent to saying one has a right to free speech, but only in one's home. To me that illustrates how extreme her viewpoint is.

Post imported post

That was glock girl, my fiancee, one of the last callers who said OC is a constitutional right and if they don't like it-- tough!
    A. Gold

Post imported post

She was great!

Shotgun wrote:
    That was glock girl, my fiancee, one of the last callers who said OC is a constitutional right and if they don't like it-- tough!

Post imported post

Looks like you can hear the program online in the "audio archives" by going to this link:

http://www.wpr.org/webcasting/audioa...y.cfm?Code=bme
    A. Gold

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

jpierce wrote:

John
    Yes, I listened to the entire hour. She was very well-rehearsed in her answers... probably had a sheet of talking points in front of her. Also, the radio staff made sure that mostly antigun callers got through to comment. You had an uphill battle.

When she countered some of your facts with "misinformation", such as regarding the Lott study, I wish you could have followed up with calling her out, but that might have seemed argumentative. I wonder what she would have said to the FBI statistics
    showing decreases in crime when states adopted CCW? More misinformation I suppose.

Anyway, many thanks for putting yourself out there to represent us, John; live radio is a real tough, unforgiving balancing act. And thanks to shotgun for alerting us to the broadcast.

Dave
    Dave
    45ACP-For when you care enough to send the very best-
    Fight for "Stand Your Ground " legislation!

WI DA Gerald R. Fox:
    "These so-called 'public safety' laws only put decent law-abiding citizens at a dangerous disadvantage when it comes to their personal safety, and I for one am glad that this decades-long era of defective thinking on gun issues is over..."

Remember: Don't make old People mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off.

Founder's Club Member springfield 1911's Avatar

Post imported post

Wednesday
    2/24/2010
    4:00 PM

At Issue with Ben Merens -100224L
    Wisconsin's state senate passed a bill this week allowing hunters to transport uncased guns in their cars. After four, Ben Merens and his guests discuss open-carry and the shift across the U.S. to ease gun regulations.

Guests:
    John Pierce, Co-founder and sponsor of OpenCarry. org
    Jeri Bonavia, Executive Director, Wisconsin Anti-Violence Effort (WAVE)

Listen

Job well done John, Enjoyed listening to common-sense prevail.

9:50 sec. thru11:42 sec. must of felt like an eternity to Jeri, trying to explain how passing laws prevent criminals from commiting crimes, without saying laws are only followed by the law abiding, without saying laws tie the hands of the law abiding from self defense.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJQ34JTqk0I

In the ashes burns an ember of liberty, We are the fuel to ignite the ember into a flame of liberty.

The embodiment of our founding fathers will not be found in one man , But in Many.

****** give it away ( Our rights ) prostitutes sell it (Mandated training).

Banned

Post imported post

Well done John Pierce! You did an excellent Job!

McX

Post imported post

it took me a bit to get the realplayer to work. but i noticed the lady on the interview spoke in a lot of generalities, and threw out alot of' i thinks'. john had plenty of facts, and presented them very well. some of the callers weren't even in touch with reality. the scenarios john illustrated were tied to the real world. it's good to see the topic of second amendment rights is sweeping through the media.

McX

Post imported post

el chicko said; people may not like guns at the banks they go to.
    well then use the drive up!

el chicko wants criminal background checks on all gun sales.
    will that include the criminal transactions?

el chicko says she's concerned about people walking around in public with guns in their hands, or waving them around.
    yeah, me too lady, that's why i carry.

i have no problem listening to the truth, or facts, but B.S. causes me great pain.

Post imported post

I get so sick of hearing about the "Greater Good", when I heard her say that I almost puked.

She also stated that we as OCer's and even CCer's are a very small percentage of the population, so why is it so hard to just to leave us alone.

How does my OC infringe on someone else's rights?

I thought you did a great job John, thanks.

Post imported post

Thanks to everyone for their kind words.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Two thumbs up John. Jeri Bonavia is indeed a tough opponent.

Post imported post

McX wrote:
    el chicko said; people may not like guns at the banks they go to.
    well then use the drive up!

el chicko wants criminal background checks on all gun sales.
    will that include the criminal transactions?

el chicko says she's concerned about people walking around in public with guns in their hands, or waving them around.
    yeah, me too lady, that's why i carry.

i have no problem listening to the truth, or facts, but B.S. causes me great pain.

she must know self defense and can handle anything to defend herself. people like this should move to Australia or G B sounds like a commie to me

McX

Post imported post

she also mentions that in her view; 'we are a small minority'. so if that is the case aren't we afforded the same rights of protection of our rights as other 'minorities' are?

Post imported post

I have yet to listen to this interview, I have to get my blood pressure down before I do. These people (anti-rights groups, that spew lies, choose not to acknowledge facts and ignore the truth) tend to get me riled up. However reading some of the comments hear (which justifies my opinion of them) are already getting me going.

Waving guns around????? Oh for Pete's sake, why spew such a fabrication other than to spread fear? Why cant these people just stick to the truth and facts? Oh, that's because the facts don't support their position.

See what I mean, they simply cant get by with the simple truth.

Oh, the pain.

What part of "shall not be infringed" don't you understand?

Post imported post

The guy from Superior must not have ever been in Duluth.
    When in danger you can dial 911 and hope for the police to arrive a few minutes later armed with guns.
    Why do police carry guns?

The Joyce Foundation funded firearm control empire:
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...lFundingR1.png

"Everything that we see is a shadow cast by that which we do not see." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Post imported post

McX wrote:
    she also mentions that in her view; 'we are a small minority'. so if that is the case aren't we afforded the same rights of protection of our rights as other 'minorities' are?
    They way it usually works.We should have more rights.

Post imported post

As far as "waving guns around".I would be the first to call in "Man With A Gun".I would be the first because they would be cowering and panicking waiting for LEO to come and help.

Post imported post

There would seem to be a common thread among the callers opposed to carry. They each admitted there incompetence and/or fears of not being able to act when being confronted with a life threatening situation. They in a sense have already made the decision to be victims. They then impose this assumption onto everyone.

The point needs to be made more often that irrational fears of a majority cannot be allowed to infringe on the God given rights of a minority. John is the first I've heard bring this up, but I believe it was passed by too quickly because people don't make the connection between the right to self preservation and the rights of others such as gays, blacks, immigrants, etc.

Post imported post

When that one guy said he'd be shaking and shooting into the ground, etc. I thought of Dirty Harry's immortal words, "You're a good man, Lieutenant. A good man always knows his limitations."

Carrying a gun for security and defense isn't a good idea for everyone. If you can't hack it, don't do it. But just because one recognizes their OWN shortcomings is no reason to impose a restriction on everyone else.

Nobody, including a well-trained police officer or a soldier, can absolutely predict with confidence how they will react when facing an foe who is intending to harm them. But there are plenty of examples of police, soldiers AND civilians who do not panic, who react well to a stressful situation, and who go on to prevail. Shooting of any sort is more mental than physical activity--- at least shooting well. This guy was probably honest in his self-knowledge of his psychological limitations. Well, that's good, everyone has identified a person not well-suited to carry a gun beyond the shooting range or hunting field. Where the caller failed was in his inability to confine his own quirks to himself. Without justification he assigns similar shortcomings to the rest of society.

A. Gold

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast