Thread: OpenCarry.org is Tracking State Registration Laws

Post imported post

I have added a new map to our Maps Page ( http://opencarry.org/maps.html ) that tracks the current status of firearms registration across the country.

It will come as no surprise to gun owners that registration is a phenomenon of only a handful of states.

If anyone sees an error on our map and can provide cite to the authority which shows the correct information, please email john@opencarry.org

Thanks!

John

Post imported post

The "DC" box on the right column of boxes of small states is yellow, indicating no registration... is that correct? I thought DC had a registration scheme.

TFred

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

TFred wrote:
    The "DC" box on the right column of boxes of small states is yellow, indicating no registration... is that correct? I thought DC had a registration scheme.

TFred
    good point

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

What about Maryland's registration of fired cases with each new gun sold?

Post imported post

Thanks for the catch! I had colored DC as red on the map but had missed the box. It is fixed now on the Map page.

TFred wrote:

TFred

Post imported post

Good point. We were focusing on firearms registration schemes so decided not to include that.

Since the first 500 rounds through a gun largely renders Maryland's multi-million dollar scheme moot, it hardly seems worth tracking.

longwatch wrote:

Post imported post

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum41/37909.html

There seems to be handgun registration in Durham in NC.

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

ComradeV wrote:
    http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum41/37909.html

There seems to be handgun registration in Durham in NC.
    we do not see this allowed on trhe NRA summary do you know if their registration deamnd is legal? http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/Federal/Read.aspx?id=74

Post imported post

Mike - we have been discussing the registration at great length in the NC forum. We have state preemption but it is qualified with "unless authorized by statute". Apparently there is a statute passed in the 30's that none of us has seen or found, except for one member who persued it based on the NCAG's information. None of us have seen it otherwise, but it is truly in effect there.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

jpierce wrote:
    Good point. We were focusing on firearms registration schemes so decided not to include that.

Since the first 500 rounds through a gun largely renders Maryland's multi-million dollar scheme moot, it hardly seems worth tracking.

longwatch wrote:
    True but they still have the names and addresses of the owners tied to the handguns so what is the practical difference.

Post imported post

What about tracking states which force a sales database?

PA requires the sale of handguns be logged in the sales database. There is no private transfer of handguns. The Pennsylvania Supreme court ruled the database was not a gun registry, which is very saddening. PA troopers have recently tried asking FFLs to submit long gun purchases in the sales database. I should mention however, private transfer of long guns are allowed.
    Gays are prominent members of firearm rights, we do more via the courts, don't like it? Leave.
    Religious bigots against same sex marriage are not different than white supremacists.
    I expel anti-gay people off my teams. Tolerance is key to team cohesion and team building.