• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OpenCarry.org is Tracking State Registration Laws

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

I have added a new map to our Maps Page ( http://opencarry.org/maps.html ) that tracks the current status of firearms registration across the country.

It will come as no surprise to gun owners that registration is a phenomenon of only a handful of states.

If anyone sees an error on our map and can provide cite to the authority which shows the correct information, please email john@opencarry.org

Thanks!

John

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

Thanks for the catch! I had colored DC as red on the map but had missed the box. It is fixed now on the Map page.

TFred wrote:
The "DC" box on the right column of boxes of small states is yellow, indicating no registration... is that correct? I thought DC had a registration scheme.

TFred

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

Good point. We were focusing on firearms registration schemes so decided not to include that.

Since the first 500 rounds through a gun largely renders Maryland's multi-million dollar scheme moot, it hardly seems worth tracking. :)

longwatch wrote:
What about Maryland's registration of fired cases with each new gun sold?

CarryOpen

imported post

Mike - we have been discussing the registration at great length in the NC forum. We have state preemption but it is qualified with "unless authorized by statute". Apparently there is a statute passed in the 30's that none of us has seen or found, except for one member who persued it based on the NCAG's information. None of us have seen it otherwise, but it is truly in effect there.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

jpierce wrote:
Good point. We were focusing on firearms registration schemes so decided not to include that.

Since the first 500 rounds through a gun largely renders Maryland's multi-million dollar scheme moot, it hardly seems worth tracking. :)

longwatch wrote:
What about Maryland's registration of fired cases with each new gun sold?
True but they still have the names and addresses of the owners tied to the handguns so what is the practical difference.

david.ross

imported post

What about tracking states which force a sales database?

PA requires the sale of handguns be logged in the sales database. There is no private transfer of handguns. The Pennsylvania Supreme court ruled the database was not a gun registry, which is very saddening. PA troopers have recently tried asking FFLs to submit long gun purchases in the sales database. I should mention however, private transfer of long guns are allowed.