• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Definition of "loaded" in New Hampsire?

hibby76

imported post

Found it:

8 159:4 Carrying Without License.No person shallcarry a loaded pistol or revolver in any vehicle orconcealed upon his person, except in his dwelling, house or place of business, without a valid licensetherefore as hereinafter provided. A loaded pistol or revolver shall include any pistol or revolver with a magazine, cylinder, chamber or clip in which there are loaded

Loaded means having any bullets in the gun in any way.

doobie

imported post

hibby76 wrote:
Found it:

8 159:4 Carrying Without License.No person shallcarry a loaded pistol or revolver in any vehicle orconcealed upon his person, except in his dwelling, house or place of business, without a valid licensetherefore as hereinafter provided. A loaded pistol or revolver shall include any pistol or revolver with a magazine, cylinder, chamber or clip in which there are loaded

Loaded means having any bullets in the gun in any way.
Now ask yourself... how well is this answered defined.... Is a pistol with a loaded magazine 6" away a pistol with a magazine?

No where does it say the magazine is IN the pistol, just a pistol with a loaded magazine...

IIRC there is a court case on this where a guy was arrested for having a loaded firearm in a vehicle when it was a loaded magazine near a pistol.

doobie

imported post

ComradeV wrote:
So Illinois has a more liberal transportation law
What is Illinois transportation law?

IIRC, in IL you need a FOID, so say you have a NH license...then you can keep it loaded....or mag near by....unless it's a long arm.

Leverdude

imported post

From what I gather in Illinois any carry of a loaded handgun is prohibited.

I read the above as meaning the magazine must be in the pistol to be considered loaded.

doobie

imported post

Leverdude wrote:

I read the above as meaning the magazine must be in the pistol to be considered loaded.
It ain't what you consider the meaning..... So far at least one person is finding that not to be the case... and hopefully in the next few months the courts will decide....

Leverdude

imported post

doobie wrote:
Leverdude wrote:

It ain't what you consider the meaning..... So far at least one person is finding that not to be the case... and hopefully in the next few months the courts will decide....

I understand that. People get arrested for not breaking the law all the time. I'm thinking (hoping) that they'll find its not loaded.

doobie

imported post

Leverdude wrote:
doobie wrote:
Leverdude wrote:

I understand that. People get arrested for not breaking the law all the time. I'm thinking (hoping) that they'll find its not loaded.
I'm hoping they'll find all of RSA 159 in violation of 2-a :) and have it deleted.

Leverdude

imported post

Thatd'd be even better.:) The number one reason I got a NH non res permit was vehicle related. I carry most of the time wherever I can and having to remember to put my gun away before hopping in my truck was a pain in the rear end.