• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New map at OCDO: gun registration is laregly unknown in America

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
imported post

In regards to the NRA-ILA chart.

Washington State - Waiting period is waived after NICS check with possession of Concealed Pistol License.

Open carry may not be prohibited in publicly owned areas except for those outlined in RCW 9.41.300. This is covered by RCW 9.41.290 which covers state preemption. Local governmental bodies may NOT make firearms laws that are more restrictive than state laws.

Rattrapper

imported post

The Peoples Republic of Massachusetts, Has a hidden registration system, and that any purchase with in the state must be reported to the States Firearm Records Bureau. I believe the form is called FA 10 This is for private sales or dealer sales. If you have someone run your info through the states data base it will come up with a list of everything that you "legally" purchased.

MGL Chapter 140 sec, 123

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Rattrapper wrote:
The Peoples Republic of Massachusetts, Has a hidden registration system, and that any purchase with in the state must be reported to the States Firearm Records Bureau. I believe the form is called FA 10 This is for private sales or dealer sales. If you have someone run your info through the states data base it will come up with a list of everything that you "legally" purchased.

MGL Chapter 140 sec, 123
Not if you move to Mass. with a bunch of guns you already own:cool:

MSRebel54

imported post

Why is Illinois, a "non registration" state? As I understand it, you have to have some sort of permit JUST TO BUY a gun in that state. Is that not registration?

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

MSRebel54 wrote:
Why is Illinois, a "non registration" state? As I understand it, you have to have some sort of permit JUST TO BUY a gun in that state. Is that not registration?
Illinois is like a couple of other states - you register your "person" with the state - the gun itself is not registered per se but you are registered as a good guy - sort of like the concealed handgun permit system registers the human but not her conceal gun.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I was especially pleased to see that you used the phrase

so-called 'assault weapons'

The term is such a grotesque fraud. It needs to be called at ever opportunity. Good job.

Now can we get some real Bulletin Board software? :p

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Mike wrote:
concealed handgun permit system registers the human but not her conceal gun.
Actually, some sates do both, requiring you to 'qualify' and have the make/model/serial/caliber that you 'qualified' with on the permit.

Has anyone ever failed to 'qualify?' I mean, if the cops can manage it, pretty much anyone can. Maybe even rocks and trees can 'qualify...'

Basic Guy

imported post

ixtow wrote:

The term is such a grotesque fraud. It needs to be called at ever opportunity. Good job.

Besides, it is hugely redundant. It's in the same category as "edible food"", "sitting chair", "sleeping bed", or "washing soap". Name any weapon that cannot be used for assault.

Now of course they perpetrated a fraud when they labeled a bunch of military looking firearms as necessarily being "weapons" and nothing else. But the term of itself is rather silly.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Basic Guy wrote:
ixtow wrote:

Besides, it is hugely redundant. It's in the same category as "edible food"", "sitting chair", "sleeping bed", or "washing soap". Name any weapon that cannot be used for assault.

Now of course they perpetrated a fraud when they labeled a bunch of military looking firearms as necessarily being "weapons" and nothing else. But the term of itself is rather silly.
I frequently use the example of "tuna fish." Really? as opposed to "Tune a Piano?"

They are never smart enough to figure out my meaning. Then they loudly inform the universe that I am 'obviously crazy and shouldn't have THAT GUN.' As I walk away... Further expounding upon their inability to form complex thoughts and ideas...

Stupidity is the primary ingredient in being anti-gun. I love getting them to show it off from every angle.

Alexcabbie

imported post

Just in case there is somebody out there who does not know, the term "assault rifle" derives from the German sturmgewhere (meaning literally "storm rifle" to be used for "storming" a position). This military tactic is called an "assault"; thus the term "assault rifle": a select-fire rifle yadda yadda.

"Assault weapon" means any gun some anti wants to believe is "scary" which for most of them includes bb guns, airsoft. or prettty much anything that shoots anything except maybe a cork attached to a string.