Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it worth taking with me?

Post imported post

I'll be on temporary orders to Keyport, WA for 19 days starting this weekend and was contemplating bringing my firearm along. The state as a whole seems pretty gun friendly, but there seem to be two major inconveniences. I only possess a VA CHP at the moment, my Utah application is still sitting on my desk . I believe Washington does not recognize VA's permit. As such, I would have to unload every time I got into the car, and reload upon arrival of my destination. My wife lives in Everett so we'll be spending quite some time out and about and I definitely want to bring the Sig with.

I'm particularly interested in this:

"15) Can I carry in a bar?
    No. You cannot carry in a place where alcohol is consumed AND is off limits to persons under 21. "

Does that mean that anytime I go eat with my wife, I have to leave the gun in the car? What defines a bar in WA. In VA, a bar is the same as a restaurant, although you can still carry into them both. I'm unclear whether the off limits part applies to the alcohol or admittance to people inside the establishment.

For those of you without CHP's in WA, is it worth the hassles? Also, I'd imagine I would be traveling downtown Seattle more than once. I'm not aware of any direct gun ban downtown, but how's the general attitude of the police/store owners? I guess I'm just a little more cautious since VA is such a gun friendly place, I never get hassled anywhere.

Post imported post

If a kid can be in there then so can your gun. All areas restricted will have a 21+ sign on them.
    "Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world." ~ Musashi

Post imported post

The site says the restaraunt carry is legal and that it pertains to areas that serve alcohol. I'll admit the answer is worded funny though. I'm guessing it means that when you carry in the alcohol served area, you're not legal. When you carry in the public food area, you're legal. It sounds funny but I believe some restaraunts in AZ had a similar thing going on when I was there. As far as the law effects me, everything West of Kansas is about the same. I usually don't go into bars because I don't need to be looking for trouble for it to find me. Still, I'd really like to hear everyone else's input. This is something that I have never been 100% certain about. Even after researching it.

As far as CHP recognition and reciprocity it's possible that WA frowns upon the VA CHP. Personally I would bring it along anyway.

Post imported post

Agreed, a bar is defined as an area where alcohol is served by the glass AND determined by the liquor control board as off limits to those under 21 years of age. A restauarant where children are allowed is not a bar.

On a side note, liguor stores are not off limits. Children area allowed if accompanied by an adult.

When you arrive, take the ferry over to Kitsap Peninsula and walk into the Sheriff's Office in Silverdale. Pay your $55.25, give them your application and they will fingerprint you. Odds are very good you will walk out with a Washington CPL.

This is NOT the case in all counties, but Kitsap County seems to work the best for out of staters.

PM me and I can give you the particulars.
    CZ 75B 9mm, Ruger P94 .40 S&W, Bersa Thunder .380, AR-15 Homebuild

Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States

Post imported post

You can go into any restaurant that will allow you to carry on their premises. But bars are definitely off limits, as are the package stores.
    "All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"I like people who stand on the Constitution... unless they're using it to wipe their feet." - Jon E Hutcherson

Post imported post

Package store? Not a term used in Washington... please define.

Post imported post

ForceofWill wrote:
    Also, I'd imagine I would be traveling downtown Seattle more than once. I'm not aware of any direct gun ban downtown, but how's the general attitude of the police/store owners? I guess I'm just a little more cautious since VA is such a gun friendly place, I never get hassled anywhere.
    I bum around downtown all the time, never seen a natural OCer ever.

You can be the test subject.

*If you see some asian kid in nike cortezs doing this at the sight of an OCer (you); :celebrate, wave or something dude!

Oh and yeaa...you should do a little walk-by by 3rd and pike/pine in front of all the thugs and druggies...maybe walk around once or twice...or even several times..

Been harassed by the police? Yelled at by the anti-gun neighbors? Mother doesn't approve?

Then this is the place for you! Click here to get back at them!

Post imported post

j2l3 wrote:
    Package store? Not a term used in Washington... please define.
    Package store. It is what it is.

Do you carry in the post office? :shock:

Around here that's what it pertains to. In the real world...Liquor places. :?

EDIT2: Gotcha. :P

Post imported post

Bookman was in the military... in the military a package store is a liquor store...

A post office is a post office, not a store..

Post imported post

Poosharker wrote:
    I bum around downtown all the time, never seen a natural OCer ever.

You can be the test subject.
    Seattle PD rarely bothers anyone seen open carrying... they know the law, they will normaly just look at you and go back to their conversation.

There have been many "test subjects" and universally they report back that there were no issues.

Post imported post

Liquor stores are not off limits for firearms carry.
    IBTL

Post imported post

I'm assuming that's because a liquor store is not a bar!

Post imported post

That's my point and why I asked for Bookman's definition of a package store.

Also, in my first response to this thread, I said liquor stores allowed children accompanied by an adult and was not off limits.

Post imported post

It's because liquor stores do not sell by the glass nor for on premises consumption.

Post imported post

I'd say take it, yes it will be a hassle to unload in the car -- but if you need it. It will be good to have.

Post imported post

Thanks for the replies! It's good to hear that restaurants are in the clear in WA. I didn't really plan on going to the bar, except maybe Fado downtown Seattle. I go to Fado in every city they have one. But since during the daytime they allow anyone in since they are a restaurant as well, I should be good. I'll definitely have to check out the kitsap non-res permit while I'm there. PM inc.

Post imported post

Here is a link on the Liquor Store PDF. Lawful carry IS allowed per the District Manager, Mr. Earl Hill

http://forum.nwcdl.org/index.php?act...downfile;id=49

I also suggest the Kitsap County idea for a non-resident CPL.

Regular Member trevorthebusdriver's Avatar

Post imported post

To summarize:
    You can carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol as long as you don't go into the bar/lounge area of the restaurant. You can carry in a liquor store but not in a post office. You can carry in all Seattle City and National Parks.

Post imported post

I do not have a CPL and I will answer in short... yes, it is worth bringing.
    It is a hassle unloading and reloading every time I get in and out of my truck, but we must do what is necessary to ensure or safety. Are you willing to bet your lives on the probability nothing will happen? I'm going to guess no, since you already carry.

Post imported post

gsx1138 wrote:
    If a kid can be in there then so can your gun.* All areas restricted will have a 21+ sign on them.
    Not entirely true.

Just because a kid is in there does not mean that it's OK to have a gun there.

The reason being, the owner/bartender may be breaking the law by allowing a minor in an off-limits area, and you'll be just as guilty going into that aforementioned 'off limits' area with your pistol.
    Evangelical lessons are provided upon request. Anyone wishing to meet Jesus can just kick in my door.

Post imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
    gsx1138 wrote:
    If a kid can be in there then so can your gun. All areas restricted will have a 21+ sign on them.
    Not entirely true.

Just because a kid is in there does not mean that it's OK to have a gun there.

The reason being, the owner/bartender may be breaking the law by allowing a minor in an off-limits area, and you'll be just as guilty going into that aforementioned 'off limits' area with your pistol.
    I think he means by if a kid is LEGALLY in there...then your gun is allowed.

Been harassed by the police? Yelled at by the anti-gun neighbors? Mother doesn't approve?

Then this is the place for you! Click here to get back at them!

Post imported post

Here's a redacted version of the law in question, followed by a link:

RCW 9.41.300
    Weapons prohibited in certain places — Local laws and ordinances — Exceptions — Penalty.

(1) It is unlawful for any person to enter the following places when he or she knowingly possesses or knowingly has under his or her control a weapon:

(a) [jails etc]

(b) [courts etc]

[weapons defined]

In addition, the local legislative authority shall provide either a stationary locked box [blah blah]

The local judicial authority shall designate {etc]

(c) [booby hatches]

(d) That portion of an establishment classified by the state liquor control board as off-limits to persons under twenty-one years of age; or

(e) [sterile areas of airports]

(2) [blah blah]

RCW 9.41.300: Weapons prohibited in certain places — Local laws and ordinances — Exceptions — Penalty.

The only signs I've seen have been yellow with black lettering. Expect to see them at the front door of a tavern and at the entrance to the lounge area of some restaurants. A cautionary note: Some hostesses are oblivious both to the law and to your openly carried pistol. Watch where she takes you to be seated.

MD

Post imported post

ForceofWill wrote:
    Thanks for the replies! It's good to hear that restaurants are in the clear in WA. I didn't really plan on going to the bar, except maybe Fado downtown Seattle. I go to Fado in every city they have one. But since during the daytime they allow anyone in since they are a restaurant as well, I should be good. I'll definitely have to check out the kitsap non-res permit while I'm there. PM inc.
    The Fado in Seattle has a "Bar" section and a section that is not restricted. It's clearly posted at the entrance. If you go left you're in the restricted section where the Bar is. If you go right you're in a restaurant section. I OC and CC in there every time we go. One of my favorite places around here along with Elliot Bay Brewery in West Seattle.

Post imported post

Machoduck thanks for posting

RCW 9.41.300
    Weapons prohibited in certain places — Local laws and ordinances — Exceptions — Penalty.
    (1) It is unlawful for any person to enter the following places when he or she knowingly possesses or knowingly has under his or her control a weapon:
    (d) That portion of an establishment classified by the state liquor control board as off-limits to persons under twenty-one years of age; or

The State Liquor Board will determine and post the areas that are off limits.

Note these places will have signs posted.

I have came across one Cafe in Easton that decided to add another sign to the front door to try and prohibit anyone from carrying into their restaurant, while allow children to eat in there as well.

This is the response I received back from Washington State Liquor Control Board.

Mr. Big Dave- I have contacted the Park Side Cafe in regards to the issue.

They stated that they would immediately move the sign to the designated area. If you have further questions, please give me a call or email.

Thank

Officer Matthew Murphy
    Washington State Liquor Control Board
    Wenatchee Enforcement and Education
    100-9th Street
    Wenatchee WA 98801-1505
    (509) 664-3178

There is some bars that are open to children during the day to eat meals outside the bar area until a designated time in the evening when it restricted.

Applebee's has a restricted area in the middle of the restaurant which has a wooden barrier around it, so if you were to stay out of that area then you would be legal to carry.

• Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

Post imported post

BigDave wrote:
    Applebee's has a restricted area in the middle of the restaurant which has a wooden barrier around it, so if you were to stay out of that area then you would be legal to carry.

Which underlines just how dumb that law is. Oh no! I'm on the wrong side of a 3 foot tall wooden barrier!
    "If we were to ever consider citizenship as the least bit matter of merit instead of birthright, imagine who should be selected as deserved representation of our democracy: someone who would risk their daily livelihood to cast an individually statistically insignificant vote, or those who wrap themselves in the flag against slightest slights." - agenthex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast