• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is it worth taking with me?

ForceofWill

imported post

I'll be on temporary orders to Keyport, WA for 19 days starting this weekend and was contemplating bringing my firearm along. The state as a whole seems pretty gun friendly, but there seem to be two major inconveniences. I only possess a VA CHP at the moment, my Utah application is still sitting on my desk :banghead:. I believe Washington does not recognize VA's permit. As such, I would have to unload every time I got into the car, and reload upon arrival of my destination. My wife lives in Everett so we'll be spending quite some time out and about and I definitely want to bring the Sig with.

I'm particularly interested in this:

"15) Can I carry in a bar?
No. You cannot carry in a place where alcohol is consumed AND is off limits to persons under 21. "

Does that mean that anytime I go eat with my wife, I have to leave the gun in the car? What defines a bar in WA. In VA, a bar is the same as a restaurant, although you can still carry into them both. I'm unclear whether the off limits part applies to the alcohol or admittance to people inside the establishment.

For those of you without CHP's in WA, is it worth the hassles? Also, I'd imagine I would be traveling downtown Seattle more than once. I'm not aware of any direct gun ban downtown, but how's the general attitude of the police/store owners? I guess I'm just a little more cautious since VA is such a gun friendly place, I never get hassled anywhere.

DaemonForce

imported post

The site says the restaraunt carry is legal and that it pertains to areas that serve alcohol. I'll admit the answer is worded funny though. I'm guessing it means that when you carry in the alcohol served area, you're not legal. When you carry in the public food area, you're legal. It sounds funny but I believe some restaraunts in AZ had a similar thing going on when I was there. As far as the law effects me, everything West of Kansas is about the same. I usually don't go into bars because I don't need to be looking for trouble for it to find me. Still, I'd really like to hear everyone else's input. This is something that I have never been 100% certain about. Even after researching it. :uhoh:

As far as CHP recognition and reciprocity it's possible that WA frowns upon the VA CHP. Personally I would bring it along anyway.

j2l3

imported post

Agreed, a bar is defined as an area where alcohol is served by the glass AND determined by the liquor control board as off limits to those under 21 years of age. A restauarant where children are allowed is not a bar.

On a side note, liguor stores are not off limits. Children area allowed if accompanied by an adult.

When you arrive, take the ferry over to Kitsap Peninsula and walk into the Sheriff's Office in Silverdale. Pay your $55.25, give them your application and they will fingerprint you. Odds are very good you will walk out with a Washington CPL.

This is NOT the case in all counties, but Kitsap County seems to work the best for out of staters.

PM me and I can give you the particulars.

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

ForceofWill wrote:
Also, I'd imagine I would be traveling downtown Seattle more than once. I'm not aware of any direct gun ban downtown, but how's the general attitude of the police/store owners? I guess I'm just a little more cautious since VA is such a gun friendly place, I never get hassled anywhere.
I bum around downtown all the time, never seen a natural OCer ever.

You can be the test subject. ;)

*If you see some asian kid in nike cortezs doing this at the sight of an OCer (you); :celebrate, wave or something dude!

Oh and yeaa...you should do a little walk-by by 3rd and pike/pine in front of all the thugs and druggies...maybe walk around once or twice...or even several times..:D

j2l3

imported post

Bookman was in the military... in the military a package store is a liquor store...

A post office is a post office, not a store..

j2l3

imported post

Poosharker wrote:
I bum around downtown all the time, never seen a natural OCer ever.

You can be the test subject. ;)

Seattle PD rarely bothers anyone seen open carrying... they know the law, they will normaly just look at you and go back to their conversation.

There have been many "test subjects" and universally they report back that there were no issues.

j2l3

imported post

That's my point and why I asked for Bookman's definition of a package store.

Also, in my first response to this thread, I said liquor stores allowed children accompanied by an adult and was not off limits.

ForceofWill

imported post

Thanks for the replies! It's good to hear that restaurants are in the clear in WA. I didn't really plan on going to the bar, except maybe Fado downtown Seattle. I go to Fado in every city they have one. But since during the daytime they allow anyone in since they are a restaurant as well, I should be good. I'll definitely have to check out the kitsap non-res permit while I'm there. PM inc.

trevorthebusdriver

imported post

To summarize:
You can carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol as long as you don't go into the bar/lounge area of the restaurant. You can carry in a liquor store but not in a post office. You can carry in all Seattle City and National Parks.

Aryk45XD

imported post

I do not have a CPL and I will answer in short... yes, it is worth bringing.
It is a hassle unloading and reloading every time I get in and out of my truck, but we must do what is necessary to ensure or safety. Are you willing to bet your lives on the probability nothing will happen? I'm going to guess no, since you already carry.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

gsx1138 wrote:
If a kid can be in there then so can your gun.  All areas restricted will have a 21+ sign on them.

Not entirely true.

Just because a kid is in there does not mean that it's OK to have a gun there.

The reason being, the owner/bartender may be breaking the law by allowing a minor in an off-limits area, and you'll be just as guilty going into that aforementioned 'off limits' area with your pistol.