• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is it worth taking with me?

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
gsx1138 wrote:
If a kid can be in there then so can your gun. All areas restricted will have a 21+ sign on them.

Not entirely true.

Just because a kid is in there does not mean that it's OK to have a gun there.

The reason being, the owner/bartender may be breaking the law by allowing a minor in an off-limits area, and you'll be just as guilty going into that aforementioned 'off limits' area with your pistol.
I think he means by if a kid is LEGALLY in there...then your gun is allowed.

Machoduck

imported post

Here's a redacted version of the law in question, followed by a link:

RCW 9.41.300
Weapons prohibited in certain places — Local laws and ordinances — Exceptions — Penalty.

(1) It is unlawful for any person to enter the following places when he or she knowingly possesses or knowingly has under his or her control a weapon:

(a) [jails etc]

(b) [courts etc]

[weapons defined]

In addition, the local legislative authority shall provide either a stationary locked box [blah blah]

The local judicial authority shall designate {etc]

(c) [booby hatches]

(d) That portion of an establishment classified by the state liquor control board as off-limits to persons under twenty-one years of age; or

(e) [sterile areas of airports]

(2) [blah blah]

RCW 9.41.300: Weapons prohibited in certain places — Local laws and ordinances — Exceptions — Penalty.

The only signs I've seen have been yellow with black lettering. Expect to see them at the front door of a tavern and at the entrance to the lounge area of some restaurants. A cautionary note: Some hostesses are oblivious both to the law and to your openly carried pistol. Watch where she takes you to be seated.

MD

sirpuma

imported post

ForceofWill wrote:
Thanks for the replies! It's good to hear that restaurants are in the clear in WA. I didn't really plan on going to the bar, except maybe Fado downtown Seattle. I go to Fado in every city they have one. But since during the daytime they allow anyone in since they are a restaurant as well, I should be good. I'll definitely have to check out the kitsap non-res permit while I'm there. PM inc.
The Fado in Seattle has a "Bar" section and a section that is not restricted. It's clearly posted at the entrance. If you go left you're in the restricted section where the Bar is. If you go right you're in a restaurant section. I OC and CC in there every time we go. One of my favorite places around here along with Elliot Bay Brewery in West Seattle.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Machoduck thanks for posting

RCW 9.41.300
Weapons prohibited in certain places — Local laws and ordinances — Exceptions — Penalty.
(1) It is unlawful for any person to enter the following places when he or she knowingly possesses or knowingly has under his or her control a weapon:
(d) That portion of an establishment classified by the state liquor control board as off-limits to persons under twenty-one years of age; or

The State Liquor Board will determine and post the areas that are off limits.

Note these places will have signs posted.

I have came across one Cafe in Easton that decided to add another sign to the front door to try and prohibit anyone from carrying into their restaurant, while allow children to eat in there as well.

This is the response I received back from Washington State Liquor Control Board.

Mr. Big Dave- I have contacted the Park Side Cafe in regards to the issue.

They stated that they would immediately move the sign to the designated area. If you have further questions, please give me a call or email.

Thank

Officer Matthew Murphy
Washington State Liquor Control Board
Wenatchee Enforcement and Education
100-9th Street
Wenatchee WA 98801-1505
(509) 664-3178

There is some bars that are open to children during the day to eat meals outside the bar area until a designated time in the evening when it restricted.

Applebee's has a restricted area in the middle of the restaurant which has a wooden barrier around it, so if you were to stay out of that area then you would be legal to carry.

Tawnos

imported post

BigDave wrote:
Applebee's has a restricted area in the middle of the restaurant which has a wooden barrier around it, so if you were to stay out of that area then you would be legal to carry.

Which underlines just how dumb that law is. Oh no! I'm on the wrong side of a 3 foot tall wooden barrier!

amlevin

imported post

Tawnos wrote:
BigDave wrote:

Which underlines just how dumb that law is. Oh no! I'm on the wrong side of a 3 foot tall wooden barrier!
Bullets know about that barrier too, right?????