• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lynchburg VCDL Meeting

nuc65

Activist Member
imported post

Here is the email series regarding the meeting and my concern about it being a school building, I don't really feel reassured but I would like to share the info on the meeting and toss out the info about my concern and garner other opinion. Like all emails the first comes last. (I don't know what kind of school it is. It may not be a K-12 school.)

-------

Yep--a Christian School uses part of this building---we have the pastors permission to "carry", open or concealed.It is not against the law.

Looking fwd to the meeting !!

------

Is there a school at this location? If so I would like to know because I think carrying in any school is illegal.

Please clarify for me.

------

Fellow VCDL members: OK-- the Lynchburg meeting is set !!! The speaker will be Philip Van Cleave, President of VCDL (a SUPER speaker !!) will will cover the Richmond political changes to our gun laws--and usually some background on how they came about--he will have a period for everyone's questions after his talk.

We need to get the "word" out about this meeting--VA ALERT will have the announcement shortly to all members who have signed up for the E MAIL alerts (possibly later tonite). I talked to Pastor David Cash earlier and he is "set" for our meeting at his building!!!

Any special requests need to be brought to our attention early please !! Remember, ALL VCDL meeting are for members and guests--and are family events, so wives and girlfriends are welcome (but probably not both at the same time !!) I have sent this message to the only ones in Lynchburg that I personally have E Mail addresses for, to help start the "ball" rolling. Thank you for your support of VCDL and our Second Amendment rights !!

Philip usually likes to go out to supper after non-supper meetings with any interested members ---so if anyone has a suggestion as to a gun friendly location, please keep it in mind.
Future Lynchburg events: Another gun show on 15-16 May, back at the James River Conf. Ctr.---please keep this date in mind. Please be thinking about what other VCDL type events you would like to see in the area (meeting, picnics and such).

Thanks again for your support of VCDL !!!

-----Original Message-----

The Lynchburg VCDL meeting will be on 6 APR 2010 at the old school buiding: Street address is 131 Old Colony Rd, Madison HGTS VA 24572 (Google address is 380 Colony Rd, Madison HGTS VA 24572). Signs on the building say "Our Fathers House" and "Fellowship Christian School."
Pastor David Cash has opened up his building for our use. Firearms allowed !! Meeting to start at 1900--(and no time limits are placed on us after that.) ALL VCDL members and guest are invited !!!!

Linda & I will be there to set up the VCDL table(s) shortly after 1800, depending on traffic. I plan on setting up the VCDL gun show "stuff" for our members, since many of them do not get a chance to see our "stuff". David says there will be a large group. Interested folks may contact me thru swvagunshow.org. We look fwd to seeing you again !!

TFred

imported post

VCDL President wrote:
I have a call into the Sheriff and will get this figured out. Isn't gun control great? :banghead:
I was thinking about this... I bet it would make national headlines if 20 or 30 VCDL members were arrested all at once for having a meeting at a building that nobody even realized was a school!

TFred

nuc65

Activist Member
imported post

VCDL members--Lynchburg area

We have had several phone calls telling us, and after talking to Philip Van Cleave--and Philip doing several phone calls to check, it appears that the selected meeting place for the coming VCDL Lynchburg meeting is considered a K-12 SCHOOL as described by Virginia law---and firearms are NOT ALLOWED on the school grounds.

SO--we need to get another meeting place selected that is gun friendly---the sooner, the better. Some of you have suggested that there will be a large turn out for our meeting, so we need a large place for everyone. Ideas ????

TFred

imported post

Perhaps the church should set up a "community meeting" rental fee schedule. Being prohibited from renting the facility to a law-abiding group such as VCDL simply because there is also a school using part of the property is causing them monetary loss. Maybe cause for action?

TFred

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

TFred wrote:
Perhaps the church should set up a "community meeting" rental fee schedule. Being prohibited from renting the facility to a law-abiding group such as VCDL simply because there is also a school using part of the property is causing them monetary loss. Maybe cause for action?

TFred

You are not going to get around the issue by looking for technicalities to sneak under/around/through, so quit trying.

Not being a resident of Lynchburg, I'm just wondering why you do not reserve a room at the local library, or in a community center/City Hall.

Other alternatives would be restaurants with private meeting rooms.

stay safe.

skidmark

VCDL President

Centurion
imported post

skidmark wrote:
TFred wrote:

TFred

You are not going to get around the issue by looking for technicalities to sneak under/around/through, so quit trying.

Not being a resident of Lynchburg, I'm just wondering why you do not reserve a room at the local library, or in a community center/City Hall.

stay safe.

skidmark
Already in progress.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I provided nuc65 with a list of places that could be used by e-mail. Although the wife and I won't be able to attend for the date chosen, I'd like to see this thing go off without a hitch.

TFred

imported post

skidmark wrote:
TFred wrote:

TFred

stay safe.

skidmark
Well, I'm not trying to get around anything. I'm just saying this could be a clear case where this law unjustly deprives someone the opportunity to make money.

The first step in any litigation seems to be that you must be able to show damages, well not being able to make money is a damage.

TFred