• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carryin at work

JoeGlock40

imported post

i just gota job at cirkle k and workin the night shift . we're not alowed to have any weapons even if you have a ccw while workin. but i carry my kelt tec p11 in a iwb holster at my apendix where no one can see it just incase that worst event came n got robbed in sum1tryd to put a barrel in my face.i figure if no one knows i have it ill be fine. but if i had to use it in that worst case event, then id rather lose my job than my life. only bad part is i dont have a ccw yet. i only carry conceiled at work otherwise its OC allday everyday. but im just wondering if anyone else carrys even tho their not allowed by their company?

Dahwg

imported post

JoeGlock40 wrote:
i just gota job at cirkle k and workin the night shift . we're not alowed to have any weapons even if you have a ccw while workin. but i carry my kelt tec p11 in a iwb holster at my apendix where no one can see it just incase that worst event came n got robbed in sum1tryd to put a barrel in my face.i figure if no one knows i have it ill be fine. but if i had to use it in that worst case event, then id rather lose my job than my life. only bad part is i dont have a ccw yet. i only carry conceiled at work otherwise its OC allday everyday. but im just wondering if anyone else carrys even tho their not allowed by their company?

It's not the fact that it's prohibited by work you should be concerned about, it's the prohibited by law part! You could end up losing your job and your freedom along with your RKBA. Not a wise choice. Either get the CCW or leave the gun locked in your car.

lostone1413

imported post

JoeGlock40 wrote:

Smart move! I tell every one that I know that works in a place that says no weapons to just conceal. If you need it the rules will mean nothing. I agree with getting a CCW but if you need the gun they won't know it was concealed or not. Heck you can bet it wouldn't matter. If you carry appendix that is the way i've carried for years. Just tuck your shirt in guess what now its an open carry

Dahwg

imported post

JoeGlock40 wrote:
good point..but whats RKBA

Right to Keep and Bear Arms. If you get a weapons violation, you lose your rights. Although if I recall correctly CCW is a misdemeanor, so I think you'd be ok.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

JoeGlock40 wrote:
....i figure if no one knows i have it ill be fine. but if i had to use it in that worst case event, then id rather lose my job than my life. only bad part is i dont have a ccw yet. i only carry conceiled at work otherwise its OC allday everyday. but im just wondering if anyone else carrys even tho their not allowed by their company?
Do you qualify for a CCW? Or are you prohibited by age, record, etc. from getting one?

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

JoeGlock40 wrote:
im able to get one..i gota clean record and im 22 so i just need to get my tax money back and get in a class
What's the total dollar outlay for a CCW in Arizona? (Including class, fee, picture, etc.)

Pace

imported post

I hate to tell you, you might loose your job, your freedom and your gun.

The reason that these companies ban carry by their employees is two part, no judgement here:

1) Insurance wont insure them if they do.
2) They are worried that some employee will try to stop a robbery. Most robbers are unarmed, just ask for the money and run. Of course, what happens when the robber sticks the gun to your head, pulls you into a backroom to shoot you.

JoeGlock40 wrote:

Thoreau

imported post

HankT wrote:
JoeGlock40 wrote:
im able to get one..i gota clean record and im 22 so i just need to get my tax money back and get in a class
What's the total dollar outlay for a CCW in Arizona? (Including class, fee, picture, etc.)
Classes range anywhere from $30 to $100 depending on who ya go to. Application fee is $60. End of game. (No pictures involved in AZ btw.)

acmariner99

imported post

Pace wrote:
They are worried that some employee will try to stop a robbery. Most robbers are unarmed, just ask for the money and run. Of course, what happens when the robber sticks the gun to your head, pulls you into a backroom to shoot you.
Would someone please explain this logic to me? They are WORRIED that someone will try to STOP a robbery? That just makes no sense:question:

Pace

imported post

1) Robber takes $500, Circle K doesnt care
2) Employee shots robber, shoots customer also, shoots other employee, there is $50 million lawsuit for allowing employee to carry gun.

That's the theory at least.

acmariner99 wrote:
Pace wrote:
They are worried that some employee will try to stop a robbery. Most robbers are unarmed, just ask for the money and run. Of course, what happens when the robber sticks the gun to your head, pulls you into a backroom to shoot you.
Would someone please explain this logic to me? They are WORRIED that someone will try to STOP a robbery? That just makes no sense:question:

acmariner99

imported post

I think I would prefer to take my chances on placing a couple of aimed shots at an attacker. I doubt anyone here who happens to find themselves in a "must shoot or I will die" type scenario would spray shots around a room or shop in the hope that one will take out an aggressor. Anyone here would be scared senseless in a situation like that but would take out the threat and not innocents. Or do the gun grabbers assume that is the action a gun owner will take -- hence all of the liability. Thoughts?

mFonz77

imported post

OP, I would STRONGLY suggest you STOP carrying concealed if you don't have a permit. That is a BIG DEAL in Arizona and if you are discovered you will get your rear handed to you and become a prohibited possessor of firearms.

It is not expensive to get a glass and DPS is FAST processing the permits (at least they were for me).

As far as your decision to carry at work despite the policy, that is not a criminal or civil offense though you will most likely lose your job. You may also be personally named in a lawsuit if you ever do have a shoot and end up wounding or killing an innocent third party (ie other customer).

In the meantime, unscrew the handle of a windshield squeegee and keep it under the counter, they flange out toward the threads that screw into the squeegee head and it's a nice makeshift ASP (I used to work at a gas station when I was too young for CCW).

acmariner99

imported post

mFonz77 wrote:
OP, I would STRONGLY suggest you STOP carrying concealed if you don't have a permit. That is a BIG DEAL in Arizona and if you are discovered you will get your rear handed to you and become a prohibited possessor of firearms.

It is not expensive to get a glass and DPS is FAST processing the permits (at least they were for me).

As far as your decision to carry at work despite the policy, that is not a criminal or civil offense though you will most likely lose your job. You may also be personally named in a lawsuit if you ever do have a shoot and end up wounding or killing an innocent third party (ie other customer).

In the meantime, unscrew the handle of a windshield squeegee and keep it under the counter, they flange out toward the threads that screw into the squeegee head and it's a nice makeshift ASP (I used to work at a gas station when I was too young for CCW).
I concur with this statement. If you do not have a CCW, don't carry concealed. That's bad news if you get caught. Since I do not have a CCW as of now, whenever I want to carry, I always carry open, I HAVE to by law.

lostone1413

imported post

To me I see to many post as to what "Could Happen" To me if I felt I needed a gun that would be the last thing on my mind. If someone worries as to what could happen if you used your gun be it on or off the job I for one would never carry a gun then

mFonz77

imported post

lostone1413 wrote:
To me I see to many post as to what "Could Happen" To me if I felt I needed a gun that would be the last thing on my mind. If someone worries as to what could happen if you used your gun be it on or off the job I for one would never carry a gun then
Well said. If you are in a seconds-count situation and have to stop to think about legal repercussions, you clearly did not get some things straight with yourself beforehand and should not be carrying a gun, IMHO.

Edited to add: I don't mean to suggest or imply "spray-and-pray" shooting, in any way. I simply mean that if you *snap* KNOW you need to shoot, and have the training to do so, you must shoot with the intent to stop the threat.

Pace

imported post

As I mentioned, that was the theory behind not allowing employees to have guns, I didn't say I agreed with it.

Unfortunately, insurance for employees and insurance for people within the store doesn't work the same. When an employee is in a store, they are acting as the "agent" of the store, so if someone shoots a customer, it is as if the store was shooting the customer.

Personally, I think a sign at any bodega, store that said "all employees are armed and will shoot robbers" would long term lower the insurance.