• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carryin at work

Pace

imported post

Really, how many times have you pulled your gun to defend yourself? In fact, most people do miss, which is why, when I teach people how to shoot (especially women) I teach them to know how to insistingly unholster a gun, and then point-shoot without aiming and being able to hit the same spot 10 yards a way each time.

When you get shot at and have to shoot back, and your adrenaline is running and you can barely point the gun, let alone aim, you tell me how easy it is.

acmariner99 wrote:
I think I would prefer to take my chances on placing a couple of aimed shots at an attacker. I doubt anyone here who happens to find themselves in a "must shoot or I will die" type scenario would spray shots around a room or shop in the hope that one will take out an aggressor. Anyone here would be scared senseless in a situation like that but would take out the threat and not innocents. Or do the gun grabbers assume that is the action a gun owner will take -- hence all of the liability. Thoughts?

lostone1413

imported post

Pace wrote:
Really, how many times have you pulled your gun to defend yourself? In fact, most people do miss, which is why, when I teach people how to shoot (especially women) I teach them to know how to insistingly unholster a gun, and then point-shoot without aiming and being able to hit the same spot 10 yards a way each time.

When you get shot at and have to shoot back, and your adrenaline is running and you can barely point the gun, let alone aim, you tell me how easy it is.

acmariner99 wrote:
I think I would prefer to take my chances on placing a couple of aimed shots at an attacker. I doubt anyone here who happens to find themselves in a "must shoot or I will die" type scenario would spray shots around a room or shop in the hope that one will take out an aggressor. Anyone here would be scared senseless in a situation like that but would take out the threat and not innocents. Or do the gun grabbers assume that is the action a gun owner will take -- hence all of the liability. Thoughts?
Fact is and you can look it up. Over 85% of the attacks happen within 10 feet or less. The vast majority will be in 6 feet or less. You will start shooting as soon as the gun clears the holster. That is a fact. You won't have the gun at shoulder height. You will not see your sights. You will point shoot. If someone doesn't work on point shooting odd are very strong he won't come out on top in a real fight

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

lostone1413 wrote:
To me I see to many post as to what "Could Happen" To me if I felt I needed a gun that would be the last thing on my mind. If someone worries as to what could happen if you used your gun be it on or off the job I for one would never carry a gun then

Are you serious? "Too many posts" on the potential consequences of shooting or shooting at someone???

Would you care to expand on this point?

How about providing an example post or thread that is "too much" for you?

brokenbarrel

imported post

Pace wrote:

acmariner99 wrote:
If you teach women you know that 9 times out of 10 women have a steady hand compared to men even in a stressful situation with adrenalin pumping they maybe screaming but us as men our adrenaline pumps harder and we shake like were on crack and yes i know this from experience,so thats why i found it odd for you to single out women in your post...

lostone1413

imported post

HankT wrote:
lostone1413 wrote:
To me I see to many post as to what "Could Happen" To me if I felt I needed a gun that would be the last thing on my mind. If someone worries as to what could happen if you used your gun be it on or off the job I for one would never carry a gun then

Are you serious? "Too many posts" on the potential consequences of shooting or shooting at someone???

If you worry so so much what will happen using your gun If something happens you will hesitate. Bang you lose. You need that line in the sand. Once the line is crossed you will shoot without hesitation. Yes I have used a gun in self defense.

If you worry so much that you can't have that line in your mind you will be in trouble. I would suggest that if you want to shoot you get a pretty metal gun case to carry your gun back in forth to the range. Save your targets to show people a pretty group at 20 yards. Then go home and lock the gun in a safe.

If you worry what will happen the odds of you surviving a violent attack would be between zero to none

acmariner99

imported post

I am fully aware that I would be scared out of my mind if I had to pull my gun on someone. I pray I never have to get to that point. What I was working towards in my post, is given that the shots (if you have to take them) will probably be random, which causes the risk of bystanders to go up -- is that why employers shun the idea of their employees carrying on the job?

M

McX

imported post

a solid verifiable backstop in a shoot situation is a must. it's easier to get robbed, and lose some cash, than to risk innocent people. the shot you make, may miss, or go through the criminal hitting what? that is the split second decision you must make. if the shot isn't clear, with a good backstop- don't take it, wait until the opportunity presents itself.
at our shop we don't shun carrying on the job, it is required. it is an effective deterrent (open carry), another effective deterrent is the sign posted in our customer lounge; open carry of a holstered, loaded firearm ok in this facility. both means gets the word out within the general area that firearms are present at any given time in our establishment, and a greater risk is present to a criminal element entering into our shop. in less than desireable neighborhoods, word spreads fast.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

lostone1413 wrote:
HankT wrote:
lostone1413 wrote:

If you worry so so much what will happen using your gun If something happens you will hesitate. Bang you lose. You need that line in the sand. Once the line is crossed you will shoot without hesitation. Yes I have used a gun in self defense.

If you worry so much that you can't have that line in your mind you will be in trouble. I would suggest that if you want to shoot you get a pretty metal gun case to carry your gun back in forth to the range. Save your targets to show people a pretty group at 20 yards. Then go home and lock the gun in a safe.

If you worry what will happen the odds of you surviving a violent attack would be between zero to none

Where is that "line in the sand" for you.

Please describe it.

lostone1413

imported post

HankT wrote:
lostone1413 wrote:
HankT wrote:
lostone1413 wrote:

Where is that "line in the sand" for you.

Please describe it.

That line in the sand is a personal thing. The only way ones knows it is to cross it. Then their can be no going back

Sonora Rebel

imported post

lostone1413 wrote:
Fact is and you can look it up. Over 85% of the attacks happen within 10 feet or less. The vast majority will be in 6 feet or less. You will start shooting as soon as the gun clears the holster. That is a fact. You won't have the gun at shoulder height. You will not see your sights. You will point shoot. If someone doesn't work on point shooting odd are very strong he won't come out on top in a real fight

I have been beatin' that particular drum for years. Too much of this stuff ends up with 'range reflex Weaver squat, two-handed line up the sights stuff.' BS!

You pull that puppy and point it then squeeze. Best gadget I've found for that at expected ranges of self defense is a BB pistol. All the recoil/flash/bang happens after that bullet's left the barrel anyway. The BB is gonna go where you point it and there's no 'rules' for presenting. Hell... you can shoot from any position or movement imaginable. Quiet and cheap way to train. I use plastic lid coffee cans 'cause the BB will penetrate the lid but the can acts as a trap. Yeah... BB's are reusable if there's no dirt on 'em. Wear eye protection and keep your mouth closed so you don't eat a bounce-back.

Combat point shooting is seemingly all but ignored. Odd... 'cause if/when... that'smost likely howyou will actually shoot.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

lostone1413 wrote:

Bro... are you my long lost twin that Mom sold to the gypsies? I've heard the same things... 'You people can't pull that trigger... leave it home. It's more of a liability than an asset. You have to know...I mean really know you can shoot a person... maybe kill 'em if you're going to carry a gun. You may think you can... but hesitation will get you killed. I've shot people... my cherry's long busted in that arena. When you walk out of your house armed... You better know you might have to kill somebody today. if you can't do it... leave the gun in the gun locker.

lostone1413

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
lostone1413 wrote:

Bro... are you my long lost twin that Mom sold to the gypsies? I've heard the same things... 'You people can't pull that trigger... leave it home. It's more of a liability than an asset. You have to know...I mean really know you can shoot a person... maybe kill 'em if you're going to carry a gun. You may think you can... but hesitation will get you killed. I've shot people... my cherry's long busted in that arena. When you walk out of your house armed... You better know you might have to kill somebody today. if you can't do it... leave the gun in the gun locker.
LOL maybe I am your long lost brother. Over 50 years ago when I first started to learn how to handle a gun I was taught a couple things.
1- if you have any doubt about using a gun be it hunting or self-defense leave the guns at home.

2- Never point a gun at something you don't intent to kill. When you point shoot without hesitation.

Both point were very well taken

Sonora Rebel

imported post

lostone1413 wrote:
Sonora Rebel wrote:
lostone1413 wrote:

LOL maybe I am your long lost brother. Over 50 years ago when I first started to learn how to handle a gun I was taught a couple things.
1- if you have any doubt about using a gun be it hunting or self-defense leave the guns at home.

2- Never point a gun at something you don't intent to kill. When you point shoot without hesitation.

Both point were very well taken

50 years ago? Nah... You'd be the younger one we sold to feed the dog. 50 years agoI was 16. 16? OMG! :uhoh: I'd been handlin' 'real' guns of some type or otherfor at least7 years by then. At 16 I was mostly into handlin' girls... but that's another story.

When my wife finally wanted to OC... I reminded her 'Are you willing to kill with that thing if you have to?' 'Would you 'know' when you had to?' Oh yeah... No question.

JoeGlock40

imported post

mFonz77 wrote:
lostone1413 wrote:
Well said. If you are in a seconds-count situation and have to stop to think about legal repercussions, you clearly did not get some things straight with yourself beforehand and should not be carrying a gun, IMHO.

Edited to add: I don't mean to suggest or imply "spray-and-pray" shooting, in any way. I simply mean that if you *snap* KNOW you need to shoot, and have the training to do so, you must shoot with the intent to stop the threat.
thats exactly wut im talkin about..some people dont understand that

Sonora Rebel

imported post

A good lawyer can keep you outta jail, but he can't keep you out of the graveyard. So... in your situation it comes down to... legaity, responsibility and risk management. Would I shoot to protect the company's property or money? No. Would I shoot to save my own ass? You bet'chum, Red Ryder!

lostone1413

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
A good lawyer can keep you outta jail, but he can't keep you out of the graveyard. So... in your situation it comes down to... legaity, responsibility and risk management. Would I shoot to protect the company's property or money? No. Would I shoot to save my own ass? You bet'chum, Red Ryder!

Whats that old saying Brother "Better Judged By 12 Then Carried By 6" If someone can't look at it that way best they leave the Gun at home

Pace

imported post

I know the saying, but that, like most saying are over simplistic. Taking someone's life is a great responsibility and should never be simplified.

lostone1413 wrote:
Sonora Rebel wrote:

Whats that old saying Brother "Better Judged By 12 Then Carried By 6" If someone can't look at it that way best they leave the Gun at home

lostone1413

imported post

Pace wrote:
I know the saying, but that, like most saying are over simplistic. Taking someone's life is a great responsibility and should never be simplified.

lostone1413 wrote:
Sonora Rebel wrote:

But to lose your life because you would be to indecisive to me would be way worse.