• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hurting Open Carry one idiot at a time

Mugenlude

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Just another reason to know the laws, and why you shouldn't call and ask someplace if you can carry there if you know that you can. Obviously in his case he wasn't allowed to do so.

I don't understand the searching of his bag, the guy just called and asked if it was OK to open carry a firearm, so someone freaks out at the library and then when he gets there they decide they are doing to search him? If that is the whole story I don't see the RAS, and he shouldn't be searched.

Don't get me wrong, they guy is all over the place with his talking, he's not exactly nice when talking on the phone, and he babbles on and on, but still don't see the RAS...

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

Mugenlude wrote:
Just another reason to know the laws, and why you shouldn't call and ask someplace if you can carry there if you know that you can. Obviously in his case he wasn't allowed to do so.

If the building is owned or leased by the city, he can not legally carry there by WI State Law. The city (on their web site) considers it a public building and not a private building. The city also has the standard anti Open Carry language in their city Ordinances. It may be preempted, but it is currently there. The Police will enforce it and it is up to you to fight the citation in court.

11.211 Regulation of Firearms and Explosives

No Person Except A Police Officer.......have any firearms...in his possession or under his control unless it is unloaded and carried within a carrying case....pursuant to State Law

http://www.mauston.com/

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

DKSuddeth wrote:
J.Gleason wrote:
DKSuddeth wrote:
maybe i'm being dense because of lack of coffee, but would someone please tell me what this christian edward did that makes him an idiot?
If you can't distinguish that from listening to the conversation, then there is nothing we can tell you that will help you to understand.
well if you were that much of a fricking genius, you could explain it better then.
It doesn't take a fricking genius to understand how rude and obnoxious this individual was over the phone. He gave some sorry line of bull crap about being with the Media, which was a total misrepresentation. He consistently cut off the Chief when he was talking even when the Chief was agreeing with him.

Maybe you think it is OK for this guy to speak for you, but he doesn't speak for me nor would I want him too.

If he knew the laws he would have known that he is not legally allowed to carry in the Library as it is a Government owned building. There was no need for him to call the Library and even ask. If he was as knowledgeable as he claims in the video he would have already known that.

After he is told no by the Library staff he then contacts the Police Chief and makes a complete ass of himself by ranting and raving about how much he knows the laws.

Guess what? He proved himself a liar. Did you expect after that phone call, the police would react in any other way? This guy drew attention to himself purposely so he could make this video and nothing more.

This isn't even comparable to the Sussex incident, the Racine Incident or the Chilton and West Allis incidents.

Common sense would dictate that we need to be more professional then this indeed.

I don't know if this is the way you handle these things in Texas, though I very much doubt it, but as far as I am concerned this isn't the way to handle this type of situation anywhere. It definitely shines a negative light on the cause.

Mlutz

imported post

I am from Mauston and I did not hear ONE WORD about this. Kinda strange in a town of just a bit over 4,000... Point is, I live here and I guess if I oc, then I will be getting ticketed... Anyone open to an oc meet here? (I have been without a computer for a while, and have been following this forum for about 2 weeks (Via BlackBerry). Glad I have joined the forums. Should be a paying member soon.)

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Mlutz wrote:
I am from Mauston and I did not hear ONE WORD about this. Kinda strange in a town of just a bit over 4,000... Point is, I live here and I guess if I oc, then I will be getting ticketed... Anyone open to an oc meet here? (I have been without a computer for a while, and have been following this forum for about 2 weeks (Via BlackBerry). Glad I have joined the forums. Should be a paying member soon.)
I don't think you will be ticketed. Just make sure you follow the laws and you should be fine.

Mlutz

imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
Mlutz wrote:
I don't think you will be ticketed. Just make sure you follow the laws and you should be fine.
I sure hope not, if so, do you think I will get some "support"?

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
Mlutz wrote:
After dealing with that jerk, I would be prepared for the local Officers to enforce the City Ordinance against Open Carry... :?

Mlutz

imported post

Interceptor_Knight wrote:
J.Gleason wrote:
Mlutz wrote:
After dealing with that jerk, I would be prepared for the local Officers to enforce the City Ordinance against Open Carry... :?
Chief Messer is a good guy for the most part. After watching the videos from the ... yeah... I dont know what he was thinking one way or the other... Point is, I'm sure I will let you all know if anythinh goes wrong... Waiting for the Fobus paddle holster.

Mlutz

imported post

Forgot to add... As the C.O.P one would think he would know the ordinances of his city... Kinda odd... Either way, really late, yes c.e did NOT know the laws on OC.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I only ;istened to 5 minutes of the phone conversaton and concluded that this guy has the communication skills of a 4 year old. Didn't waste any time with the other links.

The guy probably shouldn't be carrying a gun. For that matter, he may not be safe with a book of matches.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
I only ;istened to 5 minutes of the phone conversaton and concluded that this guy has the communication skills of a 4 year old. Didn't waste any time with the other links.

The guy probably shouldn't be carrying a gun. For that matter, he may not be safe with a book of matches.
LOL! You may be right!

DKSuddeth

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
I don't know if this is the way you handle these things in Texas, though I very much doubt it, but as far as I am concerned this isn't the way to handle this type of situation anywhere. It definitely shines a negative light on the cause.
doubt it you may, since we don't have open carry yet in this state, if you can believe that. now, despite everyone jumping on the bandwagon about how anyone could NOT believe that this christian edward was nothing more than an idiot for his conduct towards law enforcement in his town, perhaps I should have been more specific about my questions, much like people should have been more specific in their criticisms of his professionalism.

What I saw was a police officer illegally sieze the private property of this person and conduct an illegal search of his bag. At that point, that's all I really needed to see to understand that the towns law enforcement doesn't care about the law. That obviously colored my opinion of Christian Edwards position. Now, if Mr. Edwards is going to have his rights violated, does it really matter if the phone calls he has with the so called chief maintain a professional demeanor?

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Got this response from Chief Messer and wanted to pass it on.

RE: Recent Open Carry Incident‏ From: Chief Messer (chief@Mauston.com) Sent: Tue 3/02/10 2:50 PM To: James Gleason (j.gleason@hotmail.com)

Got Your E-Mail.

THANKS!!

I will share your response with the officers.

Chief M. Messer
Mauston Police Department

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

J.Gleason wrote:

RE: Recent Open Carry Incident‏ From: Chief Messer (chief@Mauston.com) Sent: Tue 3/02/10 2:50 PM To: James Gleason (j.gleason@hotmail.com)

Got Your E-Mail.

THANKS!!

Chief M. Messer
interesting, but what did your email to the chief say ?

scorpio_vette

imported post

J.Gleason wrote:

Got Your E-Mail.

THANKS!!

Chief M. Messer

what did your e-mail to him say???

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Uhm..... Go back a page.

J.Gleason wrote:
It is my past experience that any person directly involved in the conversation may legally record the conversation without the permission of the other participants in the conversation.

With that said, it is illegal to record a conversation as a third party. Meaning a conversation that you over hear. If you are not a participant in the conversation you can not legally record the conversation.

I must say, this guy was very unorganized and has serious issues when it comes to talking with and addressing public figures. If he knew the law he would have never gotten into this position. The Library is a government owned building. If he knew the law he would have already known he was not allowed to carry into the library.

I for one am tempted to send The Mauston Police chief an email letting him know that this man was in no way affiliated with OpenCarry.org or WisconsinCarry.org.

I also feel this was done purposely to give the general public a ridiculous opinion of anyone who open carries. Nothing like promoting profiling.

And by the way, I have never heard of PyraBang.

Here is a copy of the email I will more than likely send out.

Chief Messer,

My name is James Gleason and I am a member of OpenCarry.org, WisconsinCarry.org and Oath keepers. I am writing to inform you that the gentleman in which you had an incident with at the Public Library ( Christian Edward ) is not affiliated with OpenCarry.org, WisconsinCarry.org or Oath Keepers in any way. As you are aware Mr. Edwards has posted video of this incident on Youtube.com. He does not speak for or represent our members in any form.

It is unfortunate that incidents such as this will undoubtedly happen. It is our belief that Mr. Edward is attempting to shine a bad light on people who enjoy exercising their rights in a peaceful and law abiding manner.

The fact that Mr. Edward called the Library to question staff instead of calling your department for clarification is an indicator that his behavior is staged. If Mr. Edward was knowledgeable of the law he would have known that firearms are not allowed in government owned buildings. Obviously the Library is a government owned building.

Regretfully, no one can change Mr. Edwards actions but himself.

It is our hope that this incident will not affect the relationship between your department and individuals that lawfully open carry a firearm such as members of OpenCarry.org, WisconsinCarry.org or oath Keepers. We recognize that there are many residents of Wisconsin who enjoy their right to exercise their Second Amendment Rights that are not members of the a fore mentioned groups. With that said, we support them in their rights to do so.

We thank you for your time, consideration and patience when dealing with individuals who's behavior may shine an unfavorable outlook toward the rest of us who do open carry. we would also request that you share this sentiment with the rest of your officers in an effort to preserve a positive relationship between your department and those of us law abiding citizens who lawfully and respectfully open carry.

With sincere thanks and appreciation,

James A. Gleason

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:
Brass Magnet wrote:
Uhm..... Go back a page.
Thanks. It is clear to me that some, perhaps many, here read only the most recent previous post after log on and to answer. Considering the content of some posts, that's a lot of reading for little content.
No doubt.
Though I try to be polite, it's one of my biggest pet peeves.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Brass Magnet wrote:
Master Doug Huffman wrote:
Brass Magnet wrote:
Uhm..... Go back a page.
Thanks. It is clear to me that some, perhaps many, here read only the most recent previous post after log on and to answer. Considering the content of some posts, that's a lot of reading for little content.
No doubt.
Though I try to be polite, it's one of my biggest pet peeves.
Actually I try to read EVERY post on here, but since there is so much crap on here, and lot of that crap written by you doug the MASTER OCDO TROLL, that sometimes I have to scan posts, which means sometimes I don't read every word of every post.

BRASS, Mr. pet peeve... your sarcasm is strong.... you know , one of my biggest pet peeves, is people like you thinking that because you gave OCDO a little more money than some here,you being a big Founders Club Member & all.... That you can talk down to them & berate them for making a simple mistake ( like I did, not reading his post carefully ). From now on, why don't you do everyone here a favor..and keep your pet peeves to your self, that way you are less likely to make yourself out to be like your Master > Doug.

If anyone here should have said something about my not seeing his post, it should have been... J. Gleason, but he was adult enough not too.

So Brass,new people coming to this forum, don't know that Doug is a Troll, but they will learn that in time.....but when new members of this forum read that one of it's great and mighty founders club members is nothing but a sarcastic prick , they might leave & not come back.