• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What is "loaded" in New Mexico?

hibby76

imported post

Is it only "loaded" if there's one in the chamber?
If there's none in the chamber but the magazine is full is that loaded or unloaded?

What about revolvers?

I haven't been able to find a legal definition of "loaded" anywhere.

snoball

imported post

Loaded is having unspent cartridges in the gun. One or more. A magazine with one in it and none chambered is a loaded weapon. A revolver with one cartridge is loaded.

DustoneGT

imported post

I've heard that technically it's one in the chamber, but there's no solid legal definition anywhere. I could be wrong, would be good of somebody had a court case or statute to cite.

I wouldn't chance it though, keep the cartridges out of the gun completely, or nothing in a six gun.

I regularly open carry, but there are places I would rather not go because I know the owners are anti-gun and would throw up a sign if somebody rattled their cage and I don't want to ruin it for CCW holders, so I go concealed. I have no permit, so I unload and keep the mag in a pocket where my left hand can grab it and stuff it in fast.

Keep in mind that unloaded concealed carry is legal, but you don't have the advantage of going into licensed liquor establishments like permit holders do (assuming the place sells for off-premises consumption), so most wal marts are out.