Thread: my first harrasment

Post imported post

Out of all the places I went today; liquor store, bank, smoke shop, different stores, hospital... the one place I had someone say something was blockbuster.

As me and my wife were walking around the store I had the manager come up and ask me to pull my jacket over my gun. I replied with that would be illegal for me to do seeing as I do not have my CWP. She sat there in silence for about 30 seconds, I apologized for any inconvenience or anything like that and stated I was well within my rights to carry openly in UT. She apologized for stopping me and went back to stacking movies.

As we walked around the corner she picked up her phone and I heard "No, this is not an emergency I just had a question." (assuming 911)

As I was checking out she again apologized for stopping me and said she was just doing her job as manager and addressing Customers complaints, She said a women ran up to her and said "that man has a gun." She than said she did find out it was legal and was appreciative that the good guys carried guns as well, and that I was welcome back anytime..

I was more worried about being stopped at the bank, liquor store, walmart.
    I think I did well. Any suggestions for the future?

Post imported post

I think both of you did very well.

Post imported post

Damn those California immigrants! ... (the chick that ran up to the manager of course)

Disclaimer: This comment was not posted to piss anyone off. If you can't find the humor in it, then take a chill pill and come back later.

Kevin
    If it isn't broke, then don't fix it, or you'll fix it until it's broke.

Post imported post

stewie-Y wrote:
    I think both of you did very well.
    +1

She came to you and asked you to cover it, not to leave. You were polite, she fell back to getting the right answer which is AWESOME: once she got the correct info she apologized again and now we can all like Blockbuster!

:celebrate

Post imported post

You handled that just right, Good job. I hope that I can do as well.

Post imported post

LovesHisXD45 wrote:

Damn those California immigrants! ... (the chick that ran up to the manager of course)
    How do you know that it was a Cali person?

younggun20 wrote:
    Out of all the places I went today; liquor store, bank, smoke shop, different stores, hospital... the one place I had someone say something was blockbuster.

As me and my wife were walking around the store I had the manager come up and ask me to pull my jacket over my gun. I replied with that would be illegal for me to do seeing as I do not have my CWP. She sat there in silence for about 30 seconds, I apologized for any inconvenience or anything like that and stated I was well within my rights to carry openly in UT. She apologized for stopping me and went back to stacking movies.

As we walked around the corner she picked up her phone and I heard "No, this is not an emergency I just had a question." (assuming 911)

As I was checking out she again apologized for stopping me and said she was just doing her job as manager and addressing Customers complaints, She said a women ran up to her and said "that man has a gun." She than said she did find out it was legal and was appreciative that the good guys carried guns as well, and that I was welcome back anytime..
    I'd hardly call this event "harrassment." That's a bit much.

Everybody was rational and, um, pretty business-like. Something new came up as a problem and the three people involved (reporting citizen, manager, and OCer)worked it out with an exchange of known information and a request for additional information from a 4th source.

A good example of how minor problems can remain minor and be solved.

Contrast this Utah event to the recentFedexcase in NC:

Detained while OC'ing in Cary today

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum41/38899-1.html

Post imported post

I think this is an excellent example of why we need to OC. This involved 4 people, not 3.

1. The concerned citizen, ignorant of the law and scared of guns, which is understandable, they are out there. At least she didn't call 911 herself or scream "He's got a gun!" She just reported it to the store manager.

2. The manager, also ignorant of the law, didn't argue with the OCer or ask him to leave, she called law enforcement for clarification and then was big enough to apologize.

3. The 911 dispatcher or P.D. receptionist, knew the law and gave the proper information to the manager and didn't dispatch an officer, good job.

4. The OCer, was polite and explained his rights, didn't break the law by covering it up, continued shopping and life as usual.

Everyone reacted very well. Good outcome and now another citizen knows the law and our rights.

The only advice I have for young gun is to get your CFP so you can carry in school zones. They are probably the most dangerous areas you can be in since most people can't carry there.

Post imported post

HankT wrote:
    LovesHisXD45 wrote:

younggun20 wrote:

I'd hardly call this event "harrassment." That's a bit much.

Everybody was rational and, um, pretty business-like. Something new came up as a problem and the three people involved (reporting citizen, manager, and OCer)worked it out with an exchange of known information and a request for additional information from a 4th source.

A good example of how minor problems can remain minor and be solved.

Contrast this Utah event to the recentFedexcase in NC:

Detained while OC'ing in Cary today

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum41/38899-1.html
    I agree harassment is not the word to use. I was in a hurry when I typed this up I did attempt to go back and edit my post but I could not see a place to edit the title only the post.

Post imported post

HankT wrote:
    LovesHisXD45 wrote:

Sorry there Hank. I was just trying to make a crack at how some of the sheeple that come from California freak out when they see a Utahn OCing. I don't know where the person came from who ran to the manager but couldn't resist insinuating that it was a Californian. The disclaimer was to head off anyone who might take offense to that notion as seeing how it was only meant to be humorous.

Kevin
    If it isn't broke, then don't fix it, or you'll fix it until it's broke.

Post imported post

What Blockbuster location? I would title that story as OC education 101
    Utah Certified Concealed Firearms Permit Instructor
    NRA Pistol Instructor & RSO

Lover of Freedom

Post imported post

Pistol Pete Utah wrote:
    What Blockbuster location? I would title that story as OC education 101
    It was the blockbuster on 4100 s and redwood. I have going about 4 times a day for a month. Recently got a coupon in the mail for unlimited rentals for 30 days, and not once has anyone noticed or said anything.

Like I said that was my first confrontation, and My wife is always worried we will get kicked out of places and so forth. After seeing how easy it was to handle I dont think she will have any problems.

Post imported post

younggun20 wrote:
    I agree harassment is not the word to use. I was in a hurry when I typed this up I did attempt to go back and edit my post but I could not see a place to edit the title only the post.
    Ahh, I see. Thanks for the clarification. There were some positive aspects of the whole event. Thanks for sharing it with us.

LovesHisXD45 wrote:
    Sorry there Hank. I was just trying to make a crack at how some of the sheeple that come from California freak out when they see a Utahn OCing. I don't know where the person came from who ran to the manager but couldn't resist insinuating that it was a Californian. The disclaimer was to head off anyone who might take offense to that notion as seeing how it was only meant to be humorous.
    OK. I understand now, LHXD45. Thanks.

Post imported post

This is interesting. Several years ago, Blockbuster was one of the companies that posted all of their stores, nation wide, with signs prohibiting firearms. After hundreds or thousands of calls from gun owners informing them that as long as the signs remained they would lose our business, they finally removed the signs, but never made any public statement of any change in policy.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Take the manager a small bouquet of carnations and a personal "thank you" for the way she handled the situation.

Just a thought!

Post imported post

I used to enjoy packing.org until the trolls caused its closing for good. I just wish we could get rid of one particular troll who fouls this site.

Post imported post

UtahRSO wrote:
    I just wish we could get rid of one particular troll who fouls this site.
    NavyLT wrote:
    It's funny too, he's a "state researcher
    Sorry sirs, but I have no plans to leave anytime soon. :P
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." Robert A. Heinlein

Post imported post

NavyLT wrote:
    younggun20 wrote:
    I agree harassment is not the word to use.
    HAHA! I can see some 250 lb, 6' 6" cop right behind you saying, "Son, that ain't harrassment. I'll show you what harrassment is!" handcuffs in one hand, taser in the other.
    LOL

I have to throw in my favorite Foxworthyism here: "Son, where I'm from 'harass' is two words".

Post imported post

NavyLT wrote:
    Yep, there you go SGT Jensen, only quoting a portion of what I posted to fit your own point of view.
    ...context schmontext!

I fixed my location, is THAT better?!? :P
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." Robert A. Heinlein

Post imported post

LAWLZ SGT! Good avatar :P btw I'm hired now! YAY! Now to buy some kewl toyz...

McX

Post imported post

sgt, i still love ya. but i'm just a dog's nose

Post imported post

swillden wrote:
    I have to throw in my favorite Foxworthyism here: "Son, where I'm from 'harass' is two words".
    I love it!
    My cats support the Second Amendment. NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, & Personal Protection - NRA Certified Range Safety Officer, Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor.
    "Permission Slips" from Utah, Pennsylvania, Nevada, Arizona, and Florida. _ Verily, thou shalt not fiddle with thine firearm whilst in the bathroom stall, lest thine spouse seek condolences from thine friends.

Post imported post

younggun20 wrote:

I was more worried about being stopped at the bank, liquor store, walmart.
    I think I did well. Any suggestions for the future?