• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Who needs a gun in a bar?

buster81

imported post

http://www1.whdh.com/news/articles/local/BO136436/

Concord, NH officers stop potential massacre

CONCORD, N.H. -- Two police officers are being credited with stopping a possible massacre.

They arrested a man who was allegedly planning to shoot people inside a bar and then kill himself.

When David McLaughlin, 24, approached the bar at the Barley House Restaurant in Concord on Monday night, patrons knew something was wrong.

Restaurant customer Audrey Little said McLaughlin seemed peculiar.

“He was really strange. He just kind of kept to himself and didn’t want to sit near anybody else at the bar,” Little said.

Unbeknownst to the restaurant patrons, he was carrying a loaded gun and intended to use it.

“The plan was to shoot as many people as he could, and then get up the nerve to shoot himself after the incident,” said Sgt. John Thomas of the Concord, NH Police Department.

Thomas said McLaughlin lost his nerve, and instead skipped out on his $18 tab and headed for Margaritas, another bar where he planned to go through with his rampage.

Fortunately, two officers stopped him a block away on Depot Street where he admitted everything.

“He was tired of life and this was a way for him to go,” Thomas said.

McLaughlin has a criminal record in other states and a history of mental illness.

He reportedly stole his grandfather’s gun in Wentworth before driving 50 miles to Concord.

McLaughlin is being held on $500,000 cash bail. He’s facing firearms and theft charges.

SsevenN

imported post

Wow, good combination of luck and timing. I was born and raised in NH, Concord is our capital and a pretty low key city.

It would have rocked the community if this guy had gone through with it.

brokenbarrel

imported post

topic says who needs a gun in a bar?....Apparently the people that were there minding their own business when this nutjob decided he wanted to go out with a bang and take others with him,thing is this could have been at a P.T.A meeting,school openhouse,chuck e. cheese anywhere but its a bar so they assume everyone there is drinking and its time to spotlight guns in bars.I sometimes go to a bar/grill but i dont drink...Where i go theres no anti-sign so i always cc there cause im not drinkin and under those guidelines its legal here in arizona..

Brimstone Baritone

imported post

The cops didn't prevent anything. Oh, right. They got a willing confession from a depressed guy about something he was thinking about doing, that he hadn't done earlier but wanted to do.

Who needs a gun in a bar? Everyone that guy was planning on taking out.

zack991

imported post

mcdonalk wrote:
The cops didn't prevent anything. Oh, right. They got a willing confession from a depressed guy about something he was thinking about doing, that he hadn't done earlier but wanted to do.

Who needs a gun in a bar? Everyone that guy was planning on taking out.
This but booze and guns DO NOT MIX AT ANY AMOUNT.

MamaLiberty

imported post

zack991 wrote:
Really? You have hard evidence of this, or is it just a personal conviction? If the latter, then I suppose you would never drink while armed. Good idea... for YOU. Don't project your phobia on others, however.

Nothing prevents a person from having a beer in his own home while armed. Not too many horror stories about that either.

This "zero tolerance" nonsense gets a lot of people killed, however.

buster81

imported post

MamaLiberty wrote:
zack991 wrote:
Really? You have hard evidence of this, or is it just a personal conviction? If the latter, then I suppose you would never drink while armed. Good idea... for YOU. Don't project your phobia on others, however.

Nothing prevents a person from having a beer in his own home while armed. Not too many horror stories about that either.

It seems to me I hear the anti's yelling guns and alcohol don't mix on a regular basis. It has become the white-noise-rant of the anti guns-and-restaurants panic.

Aaron1124

imported post

MamaLiberty wrote:
zack991 wrote:

I'm pretty sure he meant that intoxication and firearms don't mix well, and there are some states that ban the carry of firearms while intoxicated.

buster81

imported post

Aaron1124 wrote:
MamaLiberty wrote:
zack991 wrote:

I'm pretty sure he meant that intoxication and firearms don't mix well, and there are some states that ban the carry of firearms while intoxicated.
It seems more like he is saying that any amount of booze and guns don't mix. Or booze and any amount of guns don't mix. Or possibly, any amount of booze with any amount of guns don't mix. Either way, intoxication wasn't mentioned.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I'm thinking the alleged murder-suicide was probably deliberately mixing alcohol with his gun to work up his courage. Liquid courage, as they say.

He skipped out on an $18 bar tab. I suspect that was more than one drink.

No amount of objection against mixing guns and alcohol is going to stop someone whois using alcohol to help himself commitmass murder.

Arm the bartenders and bouncers!! :)

Big Boy

imported post

I don't understand these people. If you are insane and want to off yourself. ...Whatever.

Why do they need to shoot every one else around them as well? :cry:
People this retarded would probably run out of ammo any how and not have a round left to use on himself.