• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Another Convicted Felon running for Sheriff in NC

HRS

imported post

http://www.shelbystar.com/news/welcomes-44892-face-new.html

SHELBY — A convicted felon looks to leave the past behind as he runs for Cleveland County Sheriff in 2010.

David Morrow, a Republican currently leading the Cleveland County Planning Board, announced Sunday his intention to become the county’s go-to official in law enforcement.

Morrow, a businessman who also rents out residential and commercial properties, plans to focus on four major points, if elected: leadership, accountability, communication and investigations.

“Status quo is not going to solve problems,” he said. “We have experienced status quo for the past eight years and it hasn’t gotten us anywhere. We’ve got to think outside the box — criminals have, the police force has not.”

Morrow ran to become a Cleveland County Commissioner in 2000. He was not elected.

Morrow was sentenced to eight years in prison on a marijuana charge more than 20 years ago.

“It’s in the past,” he said of the conviction. “ … I’m asking you to look at my record since then.”

A sheriff isn’t, by law, required to carry a gun, County Elections Director Debra Blanton previously told The Star. That means a felon can technically run.

Morrow says he’s committed to Cleveland County and will stand tall “for truth and justice.”

“Integrity will be restored to the sheriff’s office,” he said.

Morrow’s Web site is under construction.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

I can't see holding people's pasts against them, IF they have truly changed that is.

And if THIS guy has changed, more power to him, and his gun rights also should be restored as well.

Besides, a marijuana conviction isn't a violent crime...let it go.

JMO...

-- John D.

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

cloudcroft wrote:
I can't see holding people's pasts against them, IF they have truly changed that is.

And if THIS guy has changed, more power to him, and his gun rights also should be restored as well.

Besides, a marijuana conviction isn't a violent crime...let it go.

JMO...

-- John D.
I will +1 that and also add this is nothing new in North Carolina and honestly I'm tired of people complaining, no offense to you HRS when I say that as you merely posted a link, but if the people of the county want a person that has been convicted of a feloy in office as sheriff then they'll elect that person via majority or popular vote. So be it, move on. Tis why this country is so great.

CarryOpen

imported post

I don't really have a problem with this either. Maybe it'll give him the perspective necessary to keep his people from going overboard at times.