• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Email from Organ Pipe NPS

Grimes

imported post

Just got an email back from
Code:
Vivian Sartori 
Division of Interpretation 
Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument 
#10 Organ Pipe Drive 
Ajo, AZ 85321

The question I asked was if they are aware of the new law and I got this is response.

"If you are licensed to carry a gun (either open or CCW), you may carry one within the monument. All State of Arizona laws apply."

:?

So, you do need an Arizona CCW license to carry openly in the monument?

Pace

imported post

Obviously not, all Arizona rules apply. She means, although worded it wrong, if you can legally carry. You might want to point that out to Vivian

Grimes wrote:
Just got an email back from
Code:
Vivian Sartori 
Division of Interpretation 
Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument 
#10 Organ Pipe Drive 
Ajo, AZ 85321

The question I asked was if they are aware of the new law and I got this is response.

"If you are licensed to carry a gun (either open or CCW), you may carry one within the monument. All State of Arizona laws apply."

:?

So, you do need an Arizona CCW license to carry openly in the monument?

mFonz77

imported post

Anyone who can legally own a gun (18+) in Arizona can legally OC without a permit. Some state park (I think Dead Horse in Cottonwood does this) will only allow you to OC if you have CCW (makes no sense!) but whatever.

Grimes

imported post

Pace wrote:
Obviously not, all Arizona rules apply. She means, although worded it wrong, if you can legally carry. You might want to point that out to Vivian
She sent an email back saying,

:celebrate

Code:
"No. You just need your state license in order to carry openly. You do not 
need a CCW license unless you carry a concealed weapon."

March Hare

imported post

If you're not using a credit card or writing a check, I don't know why they would ask for id.

I've never been asked by anyone, including police.

mFonz77

imported post

http://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/ars/13/02412.htm&Title=13&DocType=ARS

13-2412. Refusing to provide truthful name when lawfully detained; classification
A. It is unlawful for a person, after being advised that the person's refusal to answer is unlawful, to fail or refuse to state the person's true full name on request of a peace officer who has lawfully detained the person based on reasonable suspicion that the person has committed, is committing or is about to commit a crime. A person detained under this section shall state the person's true full name, but shall not be compelled to answer any other inquiry of a peace officer.
B. A person who violates this section is guilty of a class 2 misdemeanor.

Apparently it is only illegal if you are *detained*, but not simply stopped. Ergo, if they ask you, and you don't feel like telling, ask them if you are being detained or arrested. If they say no, you don't have to tell them. Tape recorder might be advisable.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Vivian is uh... cornfuzed. No license is required to OC anything in AZ. You don't even have to be a resident. It's not a CCW either... it's a CWP. The people who are supposed to know these things don't.