Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stop the Madness

Post imported post

I came up with this to illustrate a point. It's probably not an original idea, but I'm throwing it out for feedback.

[line]

End the Madness
    [/b]

It’s time to get serious about a scourge that puts us in danger day and night, in the streets, in our cars, at our workplace, and even in our homes. We have a right to demand that we can safely go about our lives, without fear of being killed.

Americans own millions of these death machines, which are responsible for over 35,000 deaths every year. Even more tragic, those deaths disproportionately affect young males. Tens of thousands fall into the wrong hands every year though theft and negligence, fueling criminal activity and an interstate black market. Their supporters claim that they serve a useful purpose other than killing, but we know better--the statistics speak for themselves.

Even though most states have training requirements to wield these instruments of destruction and limits on their use, these laws vary from state to state, are loosely enforced, and often those requirements are not very strict to begin with. Once a person has met these minimal requirements, there is no follow-up or continuation training required to ensure that they can own and operate these death machines in a safe, responsible, and legal manner. Even worse, thousands of people flaunt the law every day, operating without the required training or licensing.

One big obstacle is cultural: many Americans believe they have a “right” own these killing tools, and to live their lives every day in a way that endangers innocent people all around them. There even seems to be a perverse competition to own a “bigger, badder” version than anyone around. While these larger, more powerful machines may stroke the egos of their owners (what are they compensating for?), they are even more deadly to everyone around them. It doesn’t help that these tools of death are glorified on TV, movies, and video games. Think of all the money that's been wasted on these tools of destruction, and how much good might have been done with that money!

Another major obstacle to reform is the huge American and international companies that produce these death machines. Their annual sales amount to hundreds of millions of dollars every year in the U.S., and hundreds of millions more in the booming international trade. They have a powerful lobby in Congress that crushes any attempt to restrict the manufacture, sale, or ownership of their deadly product.

It’s time the American people told Congress to take action to restrict these horrible death machines. I am speaking, of course, about motor vehicles[/i]. They have been responsible for millions of deaths over the years. We aren’t even safe in our homes or businesses—they crash through the front windows! Irresponsible teenagers, drunks, and distracted drivers careen about daily with almost no consequences. When will the insanity end? We need to pass much stricter laws about motor vehicles. Maybe limit them to government use, or ban them altogether!

Reality Check[/b]

Did you think I was complaining about firearms? It’s true that there are approximately 29,000 deaths in the U.S. annually due to firearms. But considering the firearm death statistics include gang shootings, self-defense shootings, and police shootings of criminals, the number of “innocent” deaths is significantly lower. With that in mind, the number of annual highway deaths in the U.S.—between 35,000 and 40,000 each year since 2002 (according to NHTSA)—is almost double the number of per annum [/i]shooting deaths. But while there are many organizations dedicated to restricting or eliminating firearms, nobody is seriously advocating banning cars, or even stricter licensing and driver education.

Of course, even the motor vehicle fatalities pale in comparison to the number of deaths (over 1 million) caused every year by cardiac disease and diabetes—in other words, sloth and gluttony. So if we really wanted to save lives, should look into laws eliminating foods high in sugar, fat, and cholesterol. And maybe we should pass laws mandating physical exercise, too. Think that’s going to happen anytime soon?

Guns don't kill people. Drivers on cell phones do.

Not deep enough in the Woods, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

I must say that was good. I kind of picked up on that it was vehicles that you were referencing, but it definately could have gone either way. It does put things in perspective when you have solid numbers to look at. Now if only we could slap all the ignorant people upside the head with this reality.

Banned

Post imported post

Yup, that pretty much sums it up.

Post imported post

Good point, similar to what I did at http://www.bradyaspirin.com

That being said, there is a huge difference, that I'd like to point out.

Even if the numbers supported Gun Control in this country, we still have 2A. The Brady Campaign uses numbers to support their opinion, and to provide evidence of the reason for gun control.

My response is that no matter what, the Rights given by the Constitution can not be changed because of numbers.

Yeah, perhaps we should get rid of cars and aspirin first, they are not in the Constitution.

Post imported post

Pace wrote:
    Good point, similar to what I did at http://www.bradyaspirin.com

That being said, there is a huge difference, that I'd like to point out.

Even if the numbers supported Gun Control in this country, we still have 2A. The Brady Campaign uses numbers to support their opinion, and to provide evidence of the reason for gun control.

My response is that no matter what, the RightsPROTECTED by the Constitution can not be changed because of numbers.

Yeah, perhaps we should get rid of cars and aspirin first, they are not in the Constitution.

I agree, except for one small part, but then I fixed it for you. Our rights are not given by the Constitution, rather it is the protector of these rights.
    The thing about common sense is....it ain't too common.
    Will Rogers

Post imported post

I'll meet you on both fronts!! I gotta have my vehicle, as it is that I drive 80 miles a day to and from work, But I do want a very large caliber Machine gun mounted on top:celebrate

Post imported post

Change the word "machines" to "devices" or something similar. Guns are not perceived as machines. Otherwise it was pretty good. It reminds me of a story from high school called the "tale of the Rac." A story of a primitive culture that worshiped the Rac. Children were allowed to operate the Rac once they reached 16 years of age and had training. These Racs were known to cause fatalities and had to be treated with care. The story is quite long and involved, but made the students think about what type of a culture this could be. Once it was revealed that the Rac was CAR spelled backwards the lights all went on.
    What part of "shall not be infringed" don't you understand?

Post imported post

bigdaddy1 wrote:
    Change the word "machines" to "devices" or something similar. Guns are not perceived as machines. Otherwise it was pretty good.
    True, but vehicles are not perceived as "devices." Conundrum.

Post imported post

I like the bigger, badder, ego-stroking, compensationreference. I've read and heard that crap from the anti's far too many times. It makes me laugh and at the same time it infuriates me. How juvenile!? I laugh because I find it rediculous, but also am infuriated because people believe it. What is there to compensate for? I guess my gun is compensation for not having a cop with me 24/7.
    No one has ever walked away from a gunfight complaining that he brought too much ammo.

Post imported post

I feel completely safe walking around the Knob Creek Machinegun shoot, with dozens of weapons being actively fired, pyrotechnics detonating, with flamethrowers and artillery thrown into the mix.. Not to mention all of the spectators openly carrying firearms whose actions can be made ready again with a quick snip of a ziptie. Oh, and all of the guns on vendor tables that could just as easily be made functional and loaded within seconds.

Now, on my local highways, where the real maniacs are? Now THAT's when I feel afraid for my life...

Edited for clarity.

Post imported post

The problem my friends, is those people don't want to look at the facts and be rational. They enjoy their fake world where there is no crime and the cops take care of everything. Its like the question asked many times... If what you believe is wrong, would you want to know? In most cases their answer is no because they feel their limited knowledge is superior to facts. Hopefully we can turn them around and keep this country safe.

Post imported post

Hey Carnivore,

I'm with you there would you draw up a design and "SHOW ME" LOL so I can have my car like that.

Defensor

Post imported post

Not that this is a bad thing, but I was sure, almost immediatley the topic was automobiles.

IMMMA SMRT:what:

Post imported post

Hi, HopnPop

I would feel comfortable if my gun compensated for the fact that I might be outnumberedand I am no action movie hero whoopin five thugs. Or maybe that repeat offender that just got out of PelicanBay looking like John Cena W/ gang tattoos. I would rather let it be known to them that I have the means to defend myself and will do so without hesitation, then hopefully no one is hurt and there are no legal woes. I guessit would bedifficult to makeanti's understand.

Defensor

Post imported post

Eeyore wrote:
    Of course, even the motor vehicle fatalities pale in comparison to the number of deaths (over 1 million) caused every year by cardiac disease and diabetes—in other words, sloth and gluttony.* So if we really wanted to save lives, should look into laws eliminating foods high in sugar, fat, and cholesterol.* And maybe we should pass laws mandating physical exercise, too.* Think that’s going to happen anytime soon?
    Diabetes != gluttony

I'm 5'10", weigh 155 pounds, climb mountains, and hike dozens of miles at a time for fun. My grandmother has complained that I never eat enough since the day I was born.

What I ate prior to being diagnosed with Diabetes has nothing to do with actually having it.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Post imported post

Wasn't it George Jetzon that had the conceal carry transportation that folded up into a briefcase ?

Post imported post

Eeyore wrote:
    I came up with this to illustrate a point. It's probably not an original idea, but I'm throwing it out for feedback.

[line]

End the Madness

It’s time to get serious about a scourge that puts us in danger day and night, in the streets, in our cars, at our workplace, and even in our homes. We have a right to demand that we can safely go about our lives, without fear of being killed.

Americans own millions of these death machines, which are responsible for over 35,000 deaths every year. Even more tragic, those deaths disproportionately affect young males. Tens of thousands fall into the wrong hands every year though theft and negligence, fueling criminal activity and an interstate black market. Their supporters claim that they serve a useful purpose other than killing, but we know better--the statistics speak for themselves.

Even though most states have training requirements to wield these instruments of destruction and limits on their use, these laws vary from state to state, are loosely enforced, and often those requirements are not very strict to begin with. Once a person has met these minimal requirements, there is no follow-up or continuation training required to ensure that they can own and operate these death machines in a safe, responsible, and legal manner. Even worse, thousands of people flaunt the law every day, operating without the required training or licensing.

One big obstacle is cultural: many Americans believe they have a “right” own these killing tools, and to live their lives every day in a way that endangers innocent people all around them. There even seems to be a perverse competition to own a “bigger, badder” version than anyone around. While these larger, more powerful machines may stroke the egos of their owners (what are they compensating for?), they are even more deadly to everyone around them. It doesn’t help that these tools of death are glorified on TV, movies, and video games. Think of all the money that's been wasted on these tools of destruction, and how much good might have been done with that money!

Another major obstacle to reform is the huge American and international companies that produce these death machines. Their annual sales amount to hundreds of millions of dollars every year in the U.S., and hundreds of millions more in the booming international trade. They have a powerful lobby in Congress that crushes any attempt to restrict the manufacture, sale, or ownership of their deadly product.

It’s time the American people told Congress to take action to restrict these horrible death machines. I am speaking, of course, about motor vehicles. They have been responsible for millions of deaths over the years. We aren’t even safe in our homes or businesses—they crash through the front windows! Irresponsible teenagers, drunks, and distracted drivers careen about daily with almost no consequences. When will the insanity end? We need to pass much stricter laws about motor vehicles. Maybe limit them to government use, or ban them altogether!

Reality Check

Did you think I was complaining about firearms? It’s true that there are approximately 29,000 deaths in the U.S. annually due to firearms. But considering the firearm death statistics include gang shootings, self-defense shootings, and police shootings of criminals, the number of “innocent” deaths is significantly lower. With that in mind, the number of annual highway deaths in the U.S.—between 35,000 and 40,000 each year since 2002 (according to NHTSA)—is almost double the number of per annum shooting deaths. But while there are many organizations dedicated to restricting or eliminating firearms, nobody is seriously advocating banning cars, or even stricter licensing and driver education.

Of course, even the motor vehicle fatalities pale in comparison to the number of deaths (over 1 million) caused every year by cardiac disease and diabetes—in other words, sloth and gluttony. So if we really wanted to save lives, should look into laws eliminating foods high in sugar, fat, and cholesterol. And maybe we should pass laws mandating physical exercise, too. Think that’s going to happen anytime soon?

YES

Post imported post

Whenever one of them mentions that you're "compensating", just tell them their mother didn't think it was necessary.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

hopnpop wrote:
    I like the bigger, badder, ego-stroking, compensationreference. I've read and heard that crap from the anti's far too many times. It makes me laugh and at the same time it infuriates me. How juvenile!? I laugh because I find it rediculous, but also am infuriated because people believe it. What is there to compensate for? I guess my gun is compensation for not having a cop with me 24/7.
    I don't know about you but I think my "Can O Whupass" has dried up. I'm not sure it was full to begin with.
    It’s time to get serious about a scourge that puts us in danger day and night, in the streets, in our cars, <-- I would delete this partat our workplace, and even in <- and replace this with "near"our homes. We have a right to demand that we can safely go about our lives, without fear of being killed.

Other than that it's a pretty good piece.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar

Post imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
    Whenever one of them mentions that you're "compensating", just tell them their mother didn't think it was necessary.
    I don't care who you are that's funny right there.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Post imported post

You know there is a fallacy in the argument that you carry because there is always a cop or any other snide remark, please remember that. It's basing that you carry your gun in order to protect yourself, because there is no cop. Why is this a fallacy? Because it makes the Right to Bear Arms not about the RIGHT, but instead your personal feelings, or personal desire to defend yourself or even worse, your fear that a police officer wont protect you.

If we are to believe that 2A gives us a right, under the Constitution of the United States, it has nothing to do with our personal feelings, any more than the BradyFolks fear of guns has to do with it.

I'm going to say this over and over until I turn blue. While there are reasons to often point when guns save lives, that they aren't "as bad" as the media makes them, the real reason that we have a RIGHT to bear arms, is because... well.. we have a RIGHT to bear arms. The founders of the US Constitution saw that it was important that the PEOPLE of the United States of American be able to bear weapons for a variety of reasons and it was so important that it was the Second Amendment to the Constitution.

Post imported post

Yep, I've had that talk with anti-gun people before, trying to tell them guns arent bad.

I tell them "guns kill people like cars cause drunk driving", or "I've never caught my gun trying to sneak out the house to go on a rampage"..... that slows them down a bit
    <-----Leading by example....while armed

Wisconsin democrats are a tough bunch, and you know what they say-- "when the going gets tough...."

A "No Guns" sign protects me as much as a speed limit sign keeps people from speeding.

Post imported post

t33j wrote:
    Eeyore wrote:
    Diabetes != gluttony

I'm 5'10", weigh 155 pounds, climb mountains, and hike dozens of miles at a time for fun. My grandmother has complained that I never eat enough since the day I was born.

What I ate prior to being diagnosed with Diabetes has nothing to do with actually having it.
    You're right, I over-generalized in the name of hyperbole. Nothing personal against you and your situation. Sometimes, it's genetic or just fate. However, an ever-increasing number of people are developing [avoidable] Type II diabetes because of their food and lifestyle choices--hence "sloth and gluttony."

Post imported post

No one has ever walked away from a gunfight complaining that he brought too much ammo.

Post imported post

bigdaddy1 wrote:
    Change the word "machines" to "devices" or something similar. Guns are not perceived as machines. Otherwise it was pretty good. It reminds me of a story from high school called the "tale of the Rac." A story of a primitive culture that worshiped the Rac. Children were allowed to operate the Rac once they reached 16 years of age and had training. These Racs were known to cause fatalities and had to be treated with care. The story is quite long and involved, but made the students think about what type of a culture this could be. Once it was revealed that the Rac was CAR spelled backwards the lights all went on.
    Along those lines, there's a classic essay called "body ritual among the Nacirema" (American spelled backward)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast